So you want to get rid of Riley

Sorry, but any article that puts our school in the same tier as Virginia, NC State and Iowa loses all credibility.

Not only that but it uses being in the SEC as a trump card. Like Florida trumps FSU in terms of desireability because SEC.

I agree (conference affiliation makes a difference).

Pull out some big $ to hire a new coach and our clout increases exponentially. We have not shown the willingness to do that.

Personally, I no longer believe the money is there...not for a big-name coach anyway.

It is not always about money. These guys wives have more money than they can spend anyway. If it was only about money Nick Sabin would be coaching at Texas right now and Les Miles would have taken the job at Michigan, the school he played football at, before Brady Hoke got the job. Do you really think that if Urban Meyer had his choice between OSU and Nebraska and NU offered him 2 million more he would jump at it and come to Nebraska?

I agree, money isn't the only factor, but it is a big factor. Would Meyer have come to NU if we would have offered $2 million more that OSU? I don't know - and we didn't try...I wish we would have (if we could afford that kind of salary).

Sorry, but any article that puts our school in the same tier as Virginia, NC State and Iowa loses all credibility.

Except for the fact that NC State is 4-2 and Iowa is 6-0. Fun fact: we are a worse team than both those schools this year, and we haven't been relevent since you were old enough to know better (assuming you were born in 92 and not graduation date)...

Results after half a season don't make a difference whether it's a good job or not. Have a look at this article http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-128-college-football-coaching-jobs-2014 and this article http://www.si.com/college-football/2011/06/03/best-college-football-jobs, notice how we're right there around the top 15-top 20 college football jobs? That would put us, according to the originally posted article in "Tier-2". Just because we haven't won anything of significance since the 90's doesn't mean we're not relevant. We still have the fan base, the booster, the alumni and the expectations to be a top program once again. All it takes is the right coach to lead this program to greatness again.

It is a good job, and we can get a top tier coach if we want. But IT WILL TAKE WORK AND MONEY. You have to start recruiting the coaches that you want and not just hire someone quickly. Right now, feelers should be sent out to top candidates, before a decision is made on Riley, so we can make an informed choice. If we know we can get a top tier, the choice is easier. If buy then end of the season no top tier shows interest, then you have to think what is best. But you have to treat the coach like a recruit and make an effort, not just an offer.

And yes, Nu is not in a recruiting hot bed, but it's not bad. It has a national brand, and is close to a lot of fertile recruiting areas (and is centrally located). But it's resources, fans, and division are all very big advantages for a coach. If you want to look good, you can go into NU's division and roll putting you into the national spotlight quickly. Win the big10, and you will go to the playoffs. What's not to love.

I do t buy any excuse for lack of recruiti g whatsoever anymore. I do t care where were at. All it takes is a vision and good fit. Utah is a power now. Baylor. TCU. Michigan st.

And dont give me the regional and in state card. The game is so much more global now. Social media. TV coverage. Communication.

Utah has been a power for quite a while depending on how one views things. They have been good for a couple of decades. In 08', they were the only team to go undefeated that year and probably should have at least had a share of the NC. They've benefitted from some pretty darn good coaching. Baylor and TCU are located in the state of Texas. With football recruits galore, it's actually quite amazing they weren't good a long time ago. All I can say about Michigan State is they have one heck of a football coach. It's the only explanation I have for them. Of the four you mention, I'd bet that Utah and Michigan State over the past five years haven't ranked very high in terms of recruiting. This kind of negates your recruiting statement. The average rating per rivals over the past five years has Nebraska@24, Utah@43.4, and Michigan State@31.2. They aren't exactly getting elite talent either. They just have great coaches.

I'm not sure Nebraska was even a very desirable job 20 years ago. When TO retired, the search was basically Frank Solich or Bob Stoops. Nothing against Stoops, but he wasn't some proven head coach with an outstanding resume then. Rather, his resume looked pretty comparable to Bo Pelini's who most on here from time to time have said was in way over his head. TO pulled rank and got Frank the job. We didn't exactly have top candidates banging down the door then. The same limitations we're faced with today are the same they were back then.

Even if we offer the largest salary in college football, we're not going to retain a coach. If a coach is worth giving this large sum of money, he'll bolt for the first job at a more desirable place offering similar money. We literally will become nothing more than a coaching carousel if we start paying coaches record breaking salaries.

I'm not sure Nebraska was even a very desirable job 20 years ago. When TO retired, the search was basically Frank Solich or Bob Stoops. Nothing against Stoops, but he wasn't some proven head coach with an outstanding resume then.

I've never seen this mentioned before. Interesting.

The rumor was Bill Byrne was interested in Stoops. TO was allowed veto power to select his successor.

I do t buy any excuse for lack of recruiti g whatsoever anymore. I do t care where were at. All it takes is a vision and good fit. Utah is a power now. Baylor. TCU. Michigan st.

And dont give me the regional and in state card. The game is so much more global now. Social media. TV coverage. Communication.

Utah has been a power for quite a while depending on how one views things. They have been good for a couple of decades. In 08', they were the only team to go undefeated that year and probably should have at least had a share of the NC. They've benefitted from some pretty darn good coaching. Baylor and TCU are located in the state of Texas. With football recruits galore, it's actually quite amazing they weren't good a long time ago. All I can say about Michigan State is they have one heck of a football coach. It's the only explanation I have for them. Of the four you mention, I'd bet that Utah and Michigan State over the past five years haven't ranked very high in terms of recruiting. This kind of negates your recruiting statement. The average rating per rivals over the past five years has Nebraska@24, Utah@43.4, and Michigan State@31.2. They aren't exactly getting elite talent either. They just have great coaches.

I'm not sure Nebraska was even a very desirable job 20 years ago. When TO retired, the search was basically Frank Solich or Bob Stoops. Nothing against Stoops, but he wasn't some proven head coach with an outstanding resume then. Rather, his resume looked pretty comparable to Bo Pelini's who most on here from time to time have said was in way over his head. TO pulled rank and got Frank the job. We didn't exactly have top candidates banging down the door then. The same limitations we're faced with today are the same they were back then.

Even if we offer the largest salary in college football, we're not going to retain a coach. If a coach is worth giving this large sum of money, he'll bolt for the first job at a more desirable place offering similar money. We literally will become nothing more than a coaching carousel if we start paying coaches record breaking salaries.

I just have to disagree with much of this really. Nebraska was in fact THE job or certainly one of the top 3 or 4 jobs in the country in 1997. This can't be debated. When TO retired, there was NO search whatsoever. Tom announced his retirement and the hire of Frank in the same 30 minute press conference!

Today, the Nebraska job is one of the twenty best in the country although it is also one of the toughest in the country. It will be that way for the foreseeable, UNLESS we as fans are willing to come to accept mediocre and or losing seasons on a regular basis.

I just have to disagree with much of this really. Nebraska was in fact THE job or certainly one of the top 3 or 4 jobs in the country in 1997. This can't be debated. When TO retired, there was NO search whatsoever. Tom announced his retirement and the hire of Frank in the same 30 minute press conference!

Today, the Nebraska job is one of the twenty best in the country although it is also one of the toughest in the country. It will be that way for the foreseeable, UNLESS we as fans are willing to come to accept mediocre and or losing seasons on a regular basis.

Top 20? No.

Top 40? Yes, with potential to someday move back into the Top 20. Due to parity, location, growth in smaller programs, and mass-media, we will quite possibly never see the Top 10 again (regardless of our Win / Loss record).

I'm glad you brought up Ferentz. It hasn't been that many years ago that Iowa fans were upset and paranoid that Ferentz was bolting for the NFL. Now, a lot of them are ready to jettison him. The exact same can be said about Stoops and OU fans. This is what I love about all of these miracle worker coaches that people continue to bring up. Some that were thought to be the best thing since beer in a can a few years back have fallen way out of favor. Let's also not forget that there is a decent list of coaches who have won NCs who really weren't very good coaches. Gene Chizek comes to mind along with the clown to take down the 83' Huskers. How long will it be before Ohio State has a similar year to the 2010 Florida Gator season when Urban falls ill again?

I think if you are a confident coach, the Nebraska job would be a great choice. Yes, it is tough and fans are relentless and expect outstanding performance. The coach needs to adjust their mindset as the Head Coach is the most famous person in the State and cities of Lincoln and Omaha. You will certainly be much more familiar to people than the governorn or Mayor. In many places, the Head Coach would not readily be recognized if he walked down the street. In fact, I live in Minneapolis, I doubt the U of M head coach would be recognized by one in ten if asked specifically.

In Nebraska, 50% of the public would likely recognize the Coach. There might be 10% of the folks who would know some of the asistant coaches. This is different and for many it is not a comfortable thing.

Nebraska fans care more than almost any other school's fans - the interest is more intense and focused. Fans are more knowledgeable and those who aren't think they are so it will always be a coach that has to answer the hard questions. This makes the job tougher. But also, in my view, more desirable. Nebraska has not been a place to go if you want to move up to the NFL level - it is a long term deal. In my opinion, Bo NEVER intended to stay in Lincoln and was really NEVER a Husker at heart. Had his luck been better, he would have jumped at the chance to go to the NFL or back to his home turf of Ohio or vacinity. He would have wanted a big city team.

Yeah, everything TO ever did screamed spontaneous. He always was known as the type to rush right into something and deal with the consequences later.