So you want to get rid of Riley

Is everyone really convinced David Shaw is that great of a coach? His first three seasons were pretty good, but it was with all Harbaugh recruits. His last year wasn't very good at all considering he inherited a team that finished 12-1 and fourth in the country from Jim Harbaugh. The season is early, and we have no way of knowing how he finishes out. However, I'd like to see a couple of more seasons under his belt at Stanford before I anoint him a good/great coach.

But yet, people are on the Harbaugh bandwagon with him winning with Brady Hoke's players? Is that at all, in the least, fair?

And before you start on the "oh, it's Harbaugh and Hoke sucked," bandwagon....

Yes, Hoke sucked.

But Hoke sucked so bad that he had the 7th ranked defense in the country at the end of the year last year. Didn't help that he had one of the worst, god-awful offenses to ever step foot on the field.

So before people start throwing all the glory Jim-Bo's way....let's give him the same amount of time at Michigan as Shaw has had at Stanford.

Is everyone really convinced David Shaw is that great of a coach? His first three seasons were pretty good, but it was with all Harbaugh recruits. His last year wasn't very good at all considering he inherited a team that finished 12-1 and fourth in the country from Jim Harbaugh. The season is early, and we have no way of knowing how he finishes out. However, I'd like to see a couple of more seasons under his belt at Stanford before I anoint him a good/great coach.

But yet, people are on the Harbaugh bandwagon with him winning with Brady Hoke's players? Is that at all, in the least, fair?

Yes, Hoke sucked.

But Hoke sucked so bad that he had the 7th ranked defense in the country at the end of the year last year. Didn't help that he had one of the worst, god-awful offenses to ever step foot on the field.

So before people start throwing all the glory Jim-Bo's way....let's give him the same amount of time at Michigan as Shaw has had at Stanford.

Didn't Hoke keep the same DC that has been at Michigan for years? Was it Mattheson? Hoke took RRod's players to the Sugar Bowl too. I think Harbaugh is a great college coach for sure. But Michigan has always had talent. Always.

What am I missing here?

You neglected to read NUinID's comment that I was answering, which stated that:

- David Shaw doesn't get the grumblings he would get here

- Stanford is an easier place to recruit

- David Shaw doesn't care about the money like other coaches.

My post shows that yes, he gets grumblings just like any other coach, Stanford is technically a harder place to recruit because of their academics, and Shaw has had to worry about the money.

OK....yes, I understood what you were answering.

I took your post as saying we SHOULD go after him (even though he is getting grumblings from his fans) and we can get him if we throw enough money at him.

If I was wrong, that's my mistake.

With all due respect to Shaw, here are the academic standards needed to participate in intercollegiate athletics at Stanford.

https://undergrad.stanford.edu/advising/getting-started/advising-student-athletes/ncaa-academic-eligibility-requirements

Is this far and away more difficult to recruit to given the amount of kids playing football in California?

Shaw makes $2.2 million a season.

What am I missing here?

My post shows that yes, he gets grumblings just like any other coach, Stanford is technically a harder place to recruit because of their academics, and Shaw has had to worry about the money.

OK....yes, I understood what you were answering.

I took your post as saying we SHOULD go after him (even though he is getting grumblings from his fans) and we can get him if we throw enough money at him.

If I was wrong, that's my mistake.

No, not a mistake. I still think we should. The grumblings I had posted above came after the NW game this year. Since then, they've been pretty impressive (see last night for an example).

He was the guy to go after LAST year on my board, personally, not Riley.

What am I missing here?

I don't think he neglected to read my post.

Every fan base grumbles some when the team has performed well and then has a down year. Right now half of you guys want Mike Riley fired because he is 2-4 into his first year as a coach. If Shaw has 3 season in a row of 6-6, 7-5 and 6-6 he is not getting fired at Stanford at Nebraska he is. If Shaw comes to Nebraska and starts out 2-4 half of you guys will want him fired.

There is a difference in saying he isn't driven by money, which is what I said, and saying he doesn't care about money. Let me put it this way he doesn't seem like the type of guy that is seeking a huge pay check. Does that sound better. Everyone wants to be compensated for what they do, but David Shaw doesn't seem like the guy in the AD's office trying to renegotiate his contract after a 12-1 season. I also said I could be wrong.

I'll take his tougher standards for recruiting, which are still easier than the Stanford general population, and California to recruit out of any day of the week. There are plenty of good, smart FB players that want that type of education to recruit in California and around the country. I have no idea how smart Harrison Phillips is, but he had no trouble getting into Stanford.

I am sorry that too many of you guys thing all you have to do is throw some huge amount of money at a coach and they will jump at it. I said this before, if that were true than Nick Sabin would be Texas' coach right now and Les Miles would be coaching at Michigan. IMO the only time money really comes into play is when all the factors are equal.

So...with Harbaugh's players, he went two years with 2 losses, then he went with 3 losses then 5 losses. He still hasn't won a conference championship.

And.......he is this sure fire great coach that we should go throw millions of dollars at because he so much better than Riley.......why?

I still haven't seen anyone mention a realistic option that was that can't miss coach that some people think is out there.

So...with Harbaugh's players, he went two years with 2 losses, then he went with 3 losses then 5 losses. He still hasn't won a conference championship.

And.......he is this sure fire great coach that we should go throw millions of dollars at because he so much better than Riley.......why?

I still haven't seen anyone mention a realistic option that was that can't miss coach that some people think is out there.

Uh, bud, you need to do just a tad bit of research, because if are you looking at the same David Shaw I am, he's won TWO conference championships with Stanford....

Uh, bud, you need to do just a tad bit of research, because if are you looking at the same David Shaw I am, he's won TWO conference championships with Stanford....

Ahhhh...I misread the Wiki page. Still, that's with Harbaugh's players. Last year he loses 5 games. He already lost to Northwestern this year.

He is FAR from that sure fire coach that some fans believe we should have gone after.

Ahhhh...I misread the Wiki page. Still, that's with Harbaugh's players. Last year he loses 5 games. He already lost to Northwestern this year.

He is FAR from that sure fire coach that some fans believe we should have gone after.

Man, stop it with the "Harbaugh's players" thing, LOLOLOL! You are killing me with that!

Unless....you're saying that Brady Hoke is a recruiting genius?

Are you....saying that?

Can someone list me the sure-fire coaches out there?

And by that I mean sure-fire winners.

Because they certainly aren't sure-fire to leave their current job and come to Nebraska for any sum of money.

We'd be lucky to get David Shaw, but Palo Alto to Lincoln isn't a career trajectory any more. While we we sleeping, Stanford has earned a highly respected football program. Without over-paying for coaches.

Nearly impossible to find a coaching resume with W/L records that Husker fans won't fret over.

Yes, Hoke sucked.

Harbaugh inherited a pretty poor Stanford program. In fact, Stanford won just one game the year before Harbaugh's first season. Stanford was 16-40 the five years prior to Harbaugh. He built the team. Plus, he left Shaw with Andrew Luck and other good talent. Then we look at what he did at San Francisco and what he inherited. San Fran was a whopping 6-10 the year before Harbaugh. They were 13-3 his first year and made it to the Super Bowl his second year.

It's quite obvious Harbaugh has made himself enough of a reputation to say he's a pretty good coach. Can you honestly say the same for Shaw? Shaw is a solid coach, but there's just not enough data to put him into the elite club yet.

For the record, I wasn't for a Riley hire - I'd have made a play at David Shaw at Stanford. I love the style of play he coaches, and his players bring it. Anybody watching the game last night knows what I'm talking about.

Agree about Shaw. I see so much of what could work at NU in Stanford. They run like we use to run, they mix up the O wt good passing, - good balance.

Part of NU's problem when it comes to recruits is also identity - what are we? Under Bo it seemed to be a moving target not just season to season but game to game. Even within a game, we didn't stick long enough with what worked to be successful long term.

I think the right money brings in the right coach who can make us relevant again. However, it is too early to give up on MR - this season has become a dumpster fire for several reasons but I anticipate better in year 2 & 3.

Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, USC, Auburn, Oklahoma, Texas....pretty much every college football powerhouse has had stretches of multiple losing seasons and NCAA sanctions before dusting themselves off and returning to power. When it came time to recruit, they could always recruit. Even when sanctions blacked out television coverage and bowl eligibility, they could recruit. Even when they were visibly sucking, a coach could come in and tell a high school hotshot that he was the player who was going to help Alabama, etc. return to greatness.

In the last 50 years Nebraska hasn't had as long or as deep of a trough as its fellow college football powerhouses. I hope we don't ever suffer that, but nothing that is happening now suggests the sun is about to set on Nebraska football.

We are exactly one reliable quarterback away from being 6-0.

Either that, or we're one reliable Head Coach away from being 6-0...hmm...maybe the university shouldn't have fired Pelini?

Just so you know, Bo Pelini was very reliable at not starting a season 6-0. He was 7-0 at not starting 6-0.

That trend will continue with Riley.