Our Identity

Hunter94

after 6 games, who are we? what are/have we established?

on defense, we defend the run pretty well, but no pass rush and no secondary play to speak of....

on offense, we are undefined, we want to pass first, but are inconsistent as hell.....the run is an after though and Newby makes horrible, slow reads....we have 2 pretty good short yardage guys and Obzo is developing, bur needs reps....i guess with Riley we will be a 60/40 pass run team, not sure that is bad, if we get a pure passing QB.....

so we end up being generic??......guess us old guys liked that smash-mouth intimidating brand of football, back to basketball on grass routine?......i hope not.

Our Identity.... I picture this.

A 50-60ish yr old man wearing a "Back to Back" t-shirt with Wisconsin cheese and Colorado urine-bomb stains he tries to ignore. He has a pair of red pants over one shoulder, a white pair over the other. He can't decide which works better so he wears neither.

He wanders down "O" street mumbling the Go Big Red chant to himself stopping occasionally to randomly pump his fist or spit on the sidewalk and scream "BO" or "CALLY" interchangeably. He stops to talk to young people about the proper 3 step drop/throwing motion and after several failed attempts to get it right, pantomimes an option pitch not realizing they've gotten creeped out and walked away.

He's a bit schizophrenic and buys into every rumor. He sees Scott Frost and Jim Tressel in every passing car and doesn't understand why they won't stop and pick him up. So instead he chases every passing bus for half a block before realizing it's not heading in the direction he wants to go. He's not even sure which direction he wants to go but knows he'll figure it out by Saturday. He wakes up Sunday, his feet hurt and realizes he's right where he started and Dr. Tom is no where to be found. Oh, well he decides as he spies a young man who looks like he's dying to hear about "That one time" he remembers.

after 6 games, who are we? what are/have we established?

on defense, we defend the run pretty well, but no pass rush and no secondary play to speak of....

on offense, we are undefined, we want to pass first, but are inconsistent as hell.....the run is an after though and Newby makes horrible, slow reads....we have 2 pretty good short yardage guys and Obzo is developing, bur needs reps....i guess with Riley we will be a 60/40 pass run team, not sure that is bad, if we get a pure passing QB.....

so we end up being generic??......guess us old guys liked that smash-mouth intimidating brand of football, back to basketball on grass routine?......i hope not.

I think this staff is still trying to figure out what Nebraska's "identity" should be. It seems they are considering:

• Nebraska's history
  • The staff's history
  • The players (current and prospective)
  • The conference and schedule

Riley and Banker want Michigan State's defense. Whether they can get there or not remains to be seen. They certainly haven't yet. But that is a defense that would certainly be worthy of the title "Blackshirts."

Riley obviously wants strong special teams, as evidenced by his investment in a full-time special teams coach. Jury is still out.

On offense, Riley appears to be open to trying whatever works, but what he has said he feels ultimately works best is a balanced attack based on the strengths of the players. (i.e. when he has a great passer he throws a ton, when a great back he runs a ton, when a great Rodgers/DPE type he motions a lot.

Administratively, Riley has the staff using fairly advanced recruiting and social media methods, an electronic sports performance facility, and a stats-guru to analyze data.

So what's the identity? Right now on the field, the identity is "transition." Eventually, if all goes well, it will be an aggressive defense and a multiple/varied pro-style offense. The identity of the program overall is also "transition," but moving forward in some innovative off-field ways, with a decent and well-spoken head coach and staff, and with yet another attempt to restore Nebraska's on-field glory.