I dont understand

klb835

In defense of what they are doing with Tommy, he has proven to be as effective as last year without Ameer to disguise his element of surprise in the run game. You don't coach a certain scheme for 30 years with success in difficult situations only to abandon it in your first year, when that is the reason you were hired.

That is really stretching the truth. You also do not hammer in square pegs into round holes...you play with the hand you are dealt. This staff is clearly not doing that at all.

Again: We will play to the strength of the program>>> This coaching staff needs to run for congress.

I said it once and I will say it again...What they are doing with Tommy Armstrong would be like making Carrot Top do his stand up set without any props...

Honest question that probably deserves it's own thread... Ever thought MR and Co. don't care? Just think about that for a second. They know they will get time, they know they won't get fired after one year. But will they get the recruits they want if they don't run the things they are trying telling them they are going to do with them?

Is POB coming if TA is running it 15x a game and handing it off to Newby 30x a game?

Is Keyshawn Jr and Co. Coming if Westerkamp and other top WR are only getting 2 targets a game?

Just a random thought I had when I read your post...

In defense of what they are doing with Tommy, he has proven to be as effective as last year without Ameer to disguise his element of surprise in the run game. You don't coach a certain scheme for 30 years with success in difficult situations only to abandon it in your first year, when that is the reason you were hired.

That is really stretching the truth. You also do not hammer in square pegs into round holes...you play with the hand you are dealt. This staff is clearly not doing that at all.

Again: We will play to the strength of the program>>> This coaching staff needs to run for congress.

This staff is trying to play with the hand they are dealt in certain areas... DL said Tommy wouldn't be a running back... He has started to call a few designed runs.. Does that count?

On the 8th game of the year. They decided to start using jamal turner and tariq allen? At the wierdest times of the game. Think turner had 5 drops. Just a head scratcher just like the rb situation.

If Turner ever catches the ball he might actually do some damage. Allen is pretty much a bust. How long has he been there, 5-6 years now?

I also don't get those fly routes down the sideline to Cethan Carter. Yeah, when I want to go vertical, I think Cethan Carter.

Similarly, I don't understand Cethan Carter on a screen play. He doesn't have the quickness or cutting ability you usually see from someone on a screen, nor the straight line acceleration.

Someone mentioned the injury situation, but I think Allen, and especially Turner, are what they are by this point. Turner has had ample opportunities in his career to make plays and doesn't. Even against Northwestern, where injuries gave him more PT, he dropped passes. After watching some replays, it also appears that he let up on his route that could've been a touchdown catch.

I said it once and I will say it again...What they are doing with Tommy Armstrong would be like making Carrot Top do his stand up set without any props...

Honest question that probably deserves it's own thread... Ever thought MR and Co. don't care? Just think about that for a second. They know they will get time, they know they won't get fired after one year. But will they get the recruits they want if they don't run the things they are trying telling them they are going to do with them?

Is POB coming if TA is running it 15x a game and handing it off to Newby 30x a game?

Is Keyshawn Jr and Co. Coming if Westerkamp and other top WR are only getting 2 targets a game?

Just a random thought I had when I read your post...

Pretty interesting thought, and probably a lot of weight to this.

However, the coaches not caring and knowing they won't be fire after one year. That is true, but simply going out there and not worrying about these losses and being loose about them, albeit might not get fired after year one, it is going to create extreme stress for year 2. Especially looking at the scenario politically given a new chancellor coming in, possibly changes at AD, etc.

I get why these coaches or a first year coach may think, the hell with this current season, we gotta get our guys. This might have been what Riley was thinking at first, but now realizes he just turned his own seat super hot.

Alonzo Moore got hurt in the first series of the game, and wasn't able to come back. That's why guys deeper on the WR depth chart saw more snaps.

Thank you for answering this +1. I was wondering about that during the game and afterwards. Never knew.

Stanley Morgan though, looks like a real good player. Who does he back up, Reilly's position?

Alonzo Moore got hurt in the first series of the game, and wasn't able to come back. That's why guys deeper on the WR depth chart saw more snaps.

Thank you for answering this +1. I was wondering about that during the game and afterwards. Never knew.

Stanley Morgan though, looks like a real good player. Who does he back up, Reilly's position?

I thought he was having a great start as well and then gone....

On the 8th game of the year. They decided to start using jamal turner and tariq allen? At the wierdest times of the game. Think turner had 5 drops. Just a head scratcher just like the rb situation.

If Turner ever catches the ball he might actually do some damage. Allen is pretty much a bust. How long has he been there, 5-6 years now?

I also don't get those fly routes down the sideline to Cethan Carter. Yeah, when I want to go vertical, I think Cethan Carter.

Similarly, I don't understand Cethan Carter on a screen play. He doesn't have the quickness or cutting ability you usually see from someone on a screen, nor the straight line acceleration.

Someone mentioned the injury situation, but I think Allen, and especially Turner, are what they are by this point. Turner has had ample opportunities in his career to make plays and doesn't. Even against Northwestern, where injuries gave him more PT, he dropped passes. After watching some replays, it also appears that he let up on his route that could've been a touchdown catch.

It seemed really well designed in the NW game. Sure, he's not a threat to take it the distance, but if that OL makes the block he goes 10+ yards, which IMO is all you can ask for. I think it went 7 or 8 yards the way it was blocked.

I'm frustrated with not just the amount of 3rd downs we seem to be faced with on EVERY series but not being able to convert any of them. The offense is constantly faced with a 3rd and short on almost every series and yet we can't seem to manage to run a play to get us 2 or 3 yards. It's something we have struggled with all season, and a lot of it seems to be related to play calling. They need to shake things up with the OC, like someone suggested above, put Langsdorf in the booth for a game and see how that fairs.

I'm frustrated with not just the amount of 3rd downs we seem to be faced with on EVERY series but not being able to convert any of them. The offense is constantly faced with a 3rd and short on almost every series and yet we can't seem to manage to run a play to get us 2 or 3 yards. It's something we have struggled with all season, and a lot of it seems to be related to play calling. They need to shake things up with the OC, like someone suggested above, put Langsdorf in the booth for a game and see how that fairs.

It's not even so much playcalling but execution.

People forget this play because it worked, but against Minnesota, we called a pass play in the 4th quarter on what I believe was 3rd and short (it was definitely 3rd down). A huge drive to help milk the clock. Who does TA throw to? Westerkamp 20+ yards down field. Had he not come down with that catch, all of us would've been livid about the call and execution. Especially since Westy didn't make the catch in stride he kind of had to come back.

When we are in 3rd downs our coaches like going to the air, but that's because we also have proven we don't do things very well in the run game consistently. Part of it is blocking, but also poor play by our RB's and even questionable formations/player usage. For example, I'm still struggling to understand why a guy like Cross is getting handoffs on outside zone or stretch runs when the culmination of his efforts Saturday was 7 carries for 14 yards. Yeah, the line looked poorly. But, he's not the guy I think of when I want someone to read a play, make a hard cut and burst. Gimme Newby, Wilbon or even Ozigbo if that's what you want.

I'm not sure what is going on with Morgan. It could be the inconsistencies of a true freshman.

It seemed really well designed in the NW game. Sure, he's not a threat to take it the distance, but if that OL makes the block he goes 10+ yards, which IMO is all you can ask for. I think it went 7 or 8 yards the way it was blocked.

I like using tight ends in the screen game. If they can get out in space, they can be tough for a DB to bring down.

I'm not sure what is going on with Morgan. It could be the inconsistencies of a true freshman.
Morgan was the intended receiver on the failed 2pt conversion at the end of the game.

Morgan was the intended receiver on the failed 2pt conversion at the end of the game.
I know that and the ball went through his hands on a tightly contested throw. I'm not saying he should have caught it, but it was catchable. Sometimes that WR has to make a great play to help out the QB.