Sherman: Fan Apathy Bigger Threat Than Losing

Mavric

As a season ticket holder I've already sold my Michigan State and Iowa tickets and haven't looked back.

I get to emotionally involved in this team way to many times where I shouldn't but I care about this damn team so much to not care. I only get 12 days out of the year to watch my team I love so much. That emotional connection that I have for this team all ended when we got beat by Illinois. There's no fire, motivation and any sort of urgency with the way they play the game.

I'm not going to drive 2 1/ 2 hours to Lincoln, spend money on gas, food, drinks and merchandise if this team isn't going to be fully invested in Husker football as I am. I have my son during the Michigan State weekend so I rather spend time with him and take him out to a movie or Chuck E' Cheese than watch this team.

These players tell the media after games that "They are their own worst enemy's" or "We'll learn from these mistakes and will get better", but yet year after year, game after game, they still make the same mistakes and never learn from those mistakes.

• Fire 2

I am a long, long time season ticket holder.

I have witnessed fan approach go from

We know we will win

To We expect to win

To we should win

To we hope to win

To it would be nice to win

Is this a sign of apathy? I am not sure

I would go and say that its a sign that a once nationally respected and feared program is going into mediocrity

I don't know if apathy is the right word for me. I still care a hell of a lot. I read everything I can about the Huskers, long for the glory days, and wrack my brain to wonder how we will ever be better again. But when the game is on, I find it easy to find other distractions. Not because I am apathetic, but because it is simply not fun to watch.

Ultimately, sports are about entertainment for the fans and pride for those who are associated with the team or the school. There hasn't been much lately to be entertained by or be proud of. It's so frustrating because I still care. Apathy would feel better.

• Fire 1

I think fan apathy is sort of happening.

How many of you have plans for the game this weekend? How many of you are working on making plans for the game? How many of you are okay if you miss it or some of it for something else?

I texted 5 friends about doing something for the game Saturday. I have one response so far: "Hopefully not watching the Nebraska-Purdue game...that has to be the worst game this weekend"

I had plans to drive up to Perdue to see the game as I did two years ago.. decided not to go. the product Mike Riley is putting on the field is very poor. Super under-achiever head coach. This team wouldn't win 9 games this year with Bo but they should have won at least 7. it is a sad time at NU. If this level of coaching effort continues, say good by to the sellout streak... I will check the score throughout the day but don't have plans to watch whole game. Its sad, I have been a Husker fan my whole life and would support a team on a down year if the coach wasn't regularly outcoached game after game... I will do something with the family.. as I have read on several threads here, its only a game..

It's easy being a fan when your team is winning. It's tough when they are losing. Suck it up buttercups. These are the coaches we have for at least the next year or two.

Indeed. I once heard someone compare, Nebraska fans to Iowa State fans. "It's easy to be a fan of a team that wins 9 games a year, it's another to freeze your butt off watching your team get it's tail kicked year after year" or something like that.

I've rooted/attended games for winless teams. You learn to appreciate every yard and first down. Sure puts things in perspective.

It's easy being a fan when your team is winning. It's tough when they are losing. Suck it up buttercups. These are the coaches we have for at least the next year or two.

Indeed. I once heard someone compare, Nebraska fans to Iowa State fans. "It's easy to be a fan of a team that wins 9 games a year, it's another to freeze your butt off watching your team get it's tail kicked year after year" or something like that.

I've rooted/attended games for winless teams. You learn to appreciate every yard and first down. Sure puts things in perspective.

That's what my high school team was like (no yards, barely got first downs, got blown out all the time). I've had enough of that garbage. ;)

Joking aside, I find it easy to continue to root for the team every Saturday and watch them play. Even if they're not a good team. I'm certainly not happy with their performance and believe we should be playing to a higher standard, but, that doesn't hinder my interest in watching them play too much.

• Fire 1

We'll stick together, in all kinds of weather, for good ol Nebraska U.

Those of you that don't want to stick together, don't. I'd rather not have you spewing your negativity around the stadium. It's one thing to be critical and have the opinion that we didn't make the right choice with MR. It's another to b**** and moan because the man not even through his FIRST season hit some adversity trying to turn OUR team around, when it SORELY needed turning around.

Anybody getting apathetic is not the type of NU fan I want to be around anyway. Friggin' bandwagoners.

It sucks that being a fan of NU is becoming so divisive... Either you love the coach and team and pump sunshine, or you hate it and direction and turn everything into a complaint. What happened to supporting your team, win, lose, or draw?

What's the phrase? Nothing worth having in life comes easy. I believe that. I'm sticking with this team instead of getting all mopey and planning to not watch the game just so I can brag about it later if we lose. I'm behind Riley and our team 100% and honestly haven't been this excited for the future of NU in a long time.

GBR!

• Fire 2