Seriously, what happens if Ryker lights it up?

I hope Tommy plays this weekend and I hope he is healthy both for his sake and for the team. Never wish ill will or injury on anyone.

With that having been said what do you think Happens if Ryker comes in and lights it up next week?

Then it's another case-in-point of this staff mismanaging the talent they have on hand.

It would be the same quarterbacks in the same situation that the previous staff managed, fwiw.

I hope Tommy plays this weekend and I hope he is healthy both for his sake and for the team. Never wish ill will or injury on anyone.

With that having been said what do you think Happens if Ryker comes in and lights it up next week?

Then it's another case-in-point of this staff mismanaging the talent they have on hand.

It would be the same quarterbacks in the same situation that the previous staff managed, fwiw.

But a different offense. Tommy was clearly the best for last year's offense. Is he the best for this year's offense? Fyfe could definitely plant some doubt in that one.

Armstrong would be all conference in a better system with better coaches. Dude is a baller.

The only system I could see him excelling in is a system that either very rarely requires him to pass or a system where he is a wildcat QB.

So, something like Tebow's system at Florida.

Armstrong is a much better passer than many of our most successful QBs, for the record.

I could actually see something like that working for him. If my math is correct, Tebow averaged around 25 pass plays per game.

I don't know that I'd necessarily call him a "much better" passer. I'd put him maybe just a step above Martinez as a passer. He has similar accuracy and decision-making issues to what Martinez had.

IF Fyfe lights it up against Purdont, it will likely be enough to overcome Riley's inevitable coaching blunders and give the Huskers a victory.

I'm starting to pick up from your posts* that you're not a big Mike Riley fan. Am I correct?

*Yes, all of them.

Unfortunately, I think this is Tommy's job no matter what. If anything our coaches are very "vanilla," they do not like to rock the boat. As much as I'd like to see Tommy pushed for the starting spot (don't get me wrong...he's a crazy good competitor just don't think he has the mechanics to be a good QB) it won't happen next year with POB only being a freshman. We have Tommy for this year and next. However, after that, Riley's job rides on how well POB can come in and execute as our next QB

I would say our coaches are more experimental and open to variation than you give them credit. Sure, some position groups have seen a lot of the same guys playing, but the running back position certainly hasn't. That seems to be a pick a flavor any flavor decision week-to-week. They also were making changes in the defensive backfield prior to injuries to try and get more consistency back there.

I don't understand why people act like it's Tommy's fault he's the starter. You may not be directly saying it but it sure comes off that way. If anything, it's an indictment on former coaching and recruiting, but also current coaching to an extent. TA being the starter says they weighed all their options and believed he was the best. Similarly, for whatever reasons, Fyfe and the other guys haven't taken his spot. I sincerely doubt it's because they "do not like to rock the boat." It's because they feel TA gives them the best chance to win.

Nebraska has been extremely close to winning every game we've lost, so the notion of wholesale changes don't make sense. Especially when you watch your second stringer getting beat and missing assignments in practice, and yes, in the few games where you've given them a shot. There are videos some cranky Husker fan has made of our back-up OL getting torched by unremarkable opposing linemen.

Actually, Nebraska has gotten first downs in the fourth quarter. Even some sustained drives. But no, in those game defining moments when opponents stack the box anticipating a run on third and 2, we haven't been able to convert. I don't know the last time we had an offensive line that could guarantee those two yards, but none of our starters could have cracked that team.

Also, every preseason college football analyst made note of Nebraska's young, weak and thin secondary, and that was before the injuries piled up.

So yeah. Depth is a thing.

• Fire 2

But a different offense. Tommy was clearly the best for last year's offense. Is he the best for this year's offense? Fyfe could definitely plant some doubt in that one.

Could be.

If I'm comparing the criticism Bo/Beck received and the criticism Riley/Langsdorf receive, we are running the same offense: passing too much, refusing to commit to the run, depending on the home run ball, and calling too many screens. Or is it too few screens? I'm not always clear on that one. Also, in both cases there is a running back we need to be using more, but coach is too stubborn to realize it.

I'll be a big Fyfe fan if he can pull it off, but I honestly don't know where he has exhibited the skills that inspire his supporters. Tommy Armstrong is actually an incredible passer. Seriously. Like a lot of strong arm QBs, he can complete passes other guys can't. Problem is, he wants to be that superstar on every play, and word is he has gone rogue on Langsdorf several times this season. Not sure if the minor changes in offense have made any difference to Tommy. He may even prefer ditching the zone read as he seems to operate better a few steps back from scrimmage and rolling out at his discretion. He's put up big numbers and one incredible comeback. But he still reminds me of the quote Todd Blackledge (iirc) made about Taylor Martinez: he has the remarkable ability to keep both teams in the game.

I could see a more boring quarterback winning more games with less drama.

But it would take some serious stones to bench Armstrong.

So? What does this have to do with the price of tea in China? Especially since it's a new offense, and the old staff isn't around anymore.

Nebraska has been extremely close to winning every game we've lost, so the notion of wholesale changes don't make sense.

I think "being extremely close to winning" isn't something to talk so much about when you consider the competition.

Jeff Sagarin currently has us as the #46 team with the #41 strength of schedule.

Teams we've beaten: #73 Minnesota, #92 Southern Miss, #140 South Alabama

Losses to higher-ranked teams: #19 Wisconsin #36 BYU, #40 Northwestern

Loses to lower-ranked teams: #57 Miami, #61 Illinois

So we haven't beaten anyone in the Top 70. And we've only played one team in the Top 35.

It's not like we're playing well against good teams but just coming up short. It's more we playing poorly against bad teams and just coming up short.

Aren't close games where coaches should have the biggest effect?

• Fire 2

Aren't close games where coaches should have the biggest effect?

Sure. I'm just saying if you want to win those games where the starters have gotten you close, it's not obvious how the second stringers get you over the hump.

If you are getting shellacked in a game, and/or plan on writing off the season as live-action talent evaluation, then experiment away.