We'll stand by the road

NUance

If we should lose, we'll stand by the road,
And cheer as the winners go by

What does this mean? Is it something we only say during good times, when we're not losing? A catchy, self serving phrase that we really don't follow?

I'm sure this will be an unpopular stand, but I think we as a fanbase could try to show a bit more class during these tough times. What would Tom Osborne do? (I mean as a fan, not a coach.) Okay, flame away at me for suggesting such heresy.

I thought this meant that Husker fans would applaud the visiting team if they came out with a win while playing NU...

I think everyone's still a fan. We haven't lost any fans yet, anyway. It's just far harder to be happy about your fandom when you're 3-6 instead of 6-3.

I believe you are right, but I'm not quite sure why. If Bo was still here, the record probably looks closer to 6-3. However, we still wouldn't be up for anything other than a bowl game than we are now. We'd be out of the conference championship game. We still wouldn't have won or done anything of substance.

I am not upset with the players at all, I understand how hard it is to win after things don't go your way. Losing those games early really can take it out of a team. I think the doubt really started coming into team after the Illinois game. I can explain away the losses to BYU and Miami. The loss to Illinois is completely on the offensive game plan and poor clock management. After that game the players start doubting what the coaches are telling them, because that loss was not on them.

I think MR is in way over his head. I think he thought he had a handle on Nebraska and what was expected and knew that he needed to win, but I don't really think he expected this type of passion or backlash to losing. He doesn't have any answers to what it is happening, No one at OSU would be this upset if they were 3-6, but with a lot of close loses. I think one of his problems is that he has done enough losing in his life that it doesn't bother him enough. It doesn't bother him enough to try something different or he doesn't know how to try something different.

Even BP in all his stubbornness would occasionally try something different.

I an a Nebraska fan and always will be a Nebraska fan. I will watch my team play MSU on Saturday and hope they play with passion and somehow manage to win. I really don't think they will. I don't think they will get killed like most think. I think they show up to play. This is Michigan St. they will be up for the game, but in the end they will probably lose by a score, because the defense was unable to get a stop in the last seconds of the game or because the offense couldn't pick up 1 more first down.

I think everyone's still a fan. We haven't lost any fans yet, anyway. It's just far harder to be happy about your fandom when you're 3-6 instead of 6-3.

If being a fan of a football team is TOO HARD of a job for certain people, then perhaps they should just check themselves out of sports all together. If watching a football game is the hardest part of your life, do you really have anything to complain about at all? Not a shot at you knapp, I realize you are just suggesting the thought process of many.

What does this mean? Is it something we only say during good times, when we're not losing? A catchy, self serving phrase that we really don't follow?

I'm sure this will be an unpopular stand, but I think we as a fanbase could try to show a bit more class during these tough times. What would Tom Osborne do? (I mean as a fan, not a coach.) Okay, flame away at me for suggesting such heresy.

You can still cheer as the winners go buy and be critical of your own teams performance.

• Fire 2

I'm with you in spirit, too. I don't think the powers that be were great matchmakers with their decision but I recognize that nobody has cared about "us" nationally since 2001. The fact that isn't changing anytime soon doesn't have me in the mindset I reached after seven seasons with Bo.

How about this one that's carved in the SW corner of the old stadium:

Not the victory but the action;

Not the goal but the game;

In the deed the glory.

We're awful upset about the losing record right now, but many of us same fans didn't seem to mind so much having a man of very questionable methods and motivations as long as he was eeking out 9 wins per year. Nebraska's main problems aren't schematic; they are motivational and it's all due directly to the change of staff. Riley may or may not be the right man for the job, but there's no way to know that until the culture changes.

• Fire 1

The group of people that are bashing Nebraska Athletics right now, are not fans of Nebraska. They are fans of something else entirely, and I'm not exactly sure what that is. Chaos, I suppose, because that is what they keep rooting for.

• Fire 1

The group of people that are bashing Nebraska Athletics right now, are not fans of Nebraska. They are fans of something else entirely, and I'm not exactly sure what that is. Chaos, I suppose, because that is what they keep rooting for.

Inflating their own egos via Husker wins?