It’s Lonely on my Island

NUance

Husker nation is in disarray right now. Let’s face it. We’re in 1986 Chernobyl mode. Almost reaching 2007 October Callahan era. The wheels have fallen off the wagon. And here’s how I feel about it:
  • This season is in the toilet. We’re not going to a bowl. We’ll be lucky to score a B1G win in these last three games. And I'm not happy about it. At all. But no one can do anything about the nine games we've already played. They're in the history books.
  • The reason this season is in the toilet is because of those five heartbreaking losses. You remember them, right? The Hail Mary. The OT brainfart. The bleh offense/defense against Illinois. The last second Brazilian FG. NW’s pick six and lumbering QB runs. We’ve shot ourselves in the foot due to questionable coaching decisions (e.g., clock management), questionable execution (e.g., Can we knock down a pass, please?), and largely some terrible luck. We are snake bit this season. (I didn't forget the Purdue loss. We didn't put ourselves in a position to win that one. /facepalm)
  • Shawn Eichorst has the ONLY vote that matters in regard to Mike Riley’s tenure prospects. The talking heads don’t have a vote. The beat writers don't have a vote. The fans don’t have a vote. Not even the boosters have a vote. Sure, all of these folks can voice their opinion and apply pressure. Lots of pressure. But at the end of the day only Eichorst’s opinion matters. And I don't think Mike Riley is going anywhere. Not under Eichorst's watch.
  • It doesn’t help our team or our future prospects to rip the program to shreds in thread after thread bagging on the staff and players, and calling for everyone to be fired. This just makes it harder for them to contain this thing and turn it around. Makes it harder to recruit.
  • At this point our biggest need is a good recruiting class. Oh sure, there are other things that need work. Plenty of work. Schemes, technique, attitude, and so on. But with a good recruiting class we'll be headed in the right direction. If we whiff on the '16 class, we'll be mired in mediocrity for even longer. Maybe years longer.
  • Finally, I for one am not going to add to this steaming pile that is our ’15 season by dragging the coaches, players and administration through the mud. Do they deserve criticism? Sure. Will it help at this point? No.
This is the way I feel right now. And it’s quite lonely on my island. I suspect there are some on HB who may have different opinions.

Well said. I don't agree with everything you wrote, but I do agree with the majority of it.

• Fire 1

Suns up my feelings pretty well.

I hate coming here and being negative and dumping on them more like most everyone, but it kinda helps. At least I thought so. I'm starting to think it's just making me angrier. I would much rather be optimistic guy like I was for 6.5 years under Bo.

• Fire 1

It could be argued we've fallen past 2007 October Callahan levels. Every team played that October finished with a winning season, and at least a .500 conference record. Missouri and Texas both finished with 10 wins or more. Yes, the margins were far higher but the opposing offenses were far, far superior. Only Texas A&M finished outside the top 11 in total offense of the four teams played.

The best offense we played this October is a power rushing team that can't run the ball. Wisconsin is 54th, Minnesota 89th, Purdue 104th, Illinois 105th, Northwestern 119th. Big ten offenses are positively wretched this year and we still can't stop them.

(To put this season's failures into even more perspective, by current rankings the only offense we'll have played all year that ranks higher than 52nd will have been Southern Miss.)

• Fire 1

Husker nation is in disarray right now. Let’s face it. We’re in 1986 Chernobyl mode. Almost reaching 2007 October Callahan era. The wheels have fallen off the wagon. And here’s how I feel about it:
  • It doesn’t help our team or our future prospects to rip the program to shreds in thread after thread bagging on the staff and players, and calling for everyone to be fired. This just makes it harder for them to contain this thing and turn it around. Makes it harder to recruit.

Great post Nuance. The only thing I guess I disagree with is this bullet point. Believe me I don't want to spend the majority of my thoughts thinking badly of our coaches and while one might think I or anyone might enjoy sort of bagging our coaches on a message board trust me it's not something that makes me feel good. I like Mike Riley actually but as a person, not a football coach. My point is if no one and by no one I mean the fans just sat back and said nothing we would literally be Oregon State or other programs where losing is practically accepted. If no one said anything and people just kept filling the seats then those coaching staffs would go nowhere.

I guess in the end this isn't McNeese State or Oregon State where the fan bases don't have the level of expectations that storied programs like your Nebraska's or 'Bama's have. Those expectations while they might seem unrealistic to some are part of what drive those programs to shoot for a certain level of success. Bottom line is that a year like we're having now which is going to go down as most likely the worst in a very long, long time isn't going to cut it. It's a harsh reality but it is the reality.

• Fire 2

Great post Nuance. The above bullet point is important so I thought I'd highlight it :)

Probably a ton of folks on your island you have just not moved around enough to see em all yet.

Great post Nuance. The only thing I guess I disagree with is this bullet point. Believe me I don't want to spend the majority of my thoughts thinking badly of our coaches and while one might think I or anyone might enjoy sort of bagging our coaches on a message board trust me it's not something that makes me feel good. I like Mike Riley actually but as a person, not a football coach. My point is if no one and by no one I mean the fans just sat back and said nothing we would literally be Oregon State or other programs where losing is practically accepted. If no one said anything and people just kept filling the seats then those coaching staffs would go nowhere.

I guess in the end this isn't McNeese State or Oregon State where the fan bases don't have the level of expectations that stories programs like your Nebraska's or 'Bama's have. Those expectations while they might seem unrealistic to some are part of what drive those programs to shoot for a certain level of success. Bottom line is that a year like we're having now which is going to go down as most likely the worst in a very long, long time isn't going to cut it. It's a harsh reality but it is the reality.

Fair enough. You make some very good points. +1

• Fire 1

• This season is in the toilet. We’re not going to a bowl. We’ll be lucky to score a B1G win in these last three games. And I'm not happy about it. At all. But no one can do anything about the nine games we've already played. They're in the history books.
  • The reason this season is in the toilet is because of those five heartbreaking losses. You remember them, right? The Hail Mary. The OT brainfart. The bleh offense/defense against Illinois. The last second Brazilian FG. NW’s pick six and lumbering QB runs. We’ve shot ourselves in the foot due to questionable coaching decisions (e.g., clock management), questionable execution (e.g., Can we knock down a pass, please?), and largely some terrible luck. We are snake bit this season. (I didn't forget the Purdue loss. We didn't put ourselves in a position to win that one. /facepalm)
  • Shawn Eichorst has the ONLY vote that matters in regard to Mike Riley’s tenure prospects. The talking heads don’t have a vote. The beat writers don't have a vote. The fans don’t have a vote. Not even the boosters have a vote. Sure, all of these folks can voice their opinion and apply pressure. Lots of pressure. But at the end of the day only Eichorst’s opinion matters. And I don't think Mike Riley is going anywhere. Not under Eichorst's watch.
  • At this point our biggest need is a good recruiting class. Oh sure, there are other things that need work. Plenty of work. Schemes, technique, attitude, and so on. But with a good recruiting class we'll be headed in the right direction. If we whiff on the '16 class, we'll be mired in mediocrity for even longer. Maybe years longer.
  • Finally, I for one am not going to add to this steaming pile that is our ’15 season by dragging the coaches, players and administration through the mud. Do they deserve criticism? Sure. Will it help at this point? No.
This is the way I feel right now. And it’s quite lonely on my island. I suspect there are some on HB who may have different opinions.

I agree for the most part as well.

Suns up my feelings pretty well.

I hate coming here and being negative and dumping on them more like most everyone, but it kinda helps. At least I thought so. I'm starting to think it's just making me angrier. I would much rather be optimistic guy like I was for 6.5 years under Bo.

So, you actually want to come over to the bright side eh, darksider?

NUance, I respect your opinion. I think we are all very frustrated. I don't know whether to cut bait or to wait regarding MR. Yes, the AD holds the cards, but who holds him? It will take the board to move to make any changes this year. Realistically, it will probably take a total collapse in the final 3 games for that to happen.

I believe MR will be back next year, but we cannot afford another year like this one - less we become Kansas 2.0

• Fire 1