It’s Lonely on my Island

NUance

Suns up my feelings pretty well.

I hate coming here and being negative and dumping on them more like most everyone, but it kinda helps. At least I thought so. I'm starting to think it's just making me angrier. I would much rather be optimistic guy like I was for 6.5 years under Bo.

So, you actually want to come over to the bright side eh, darksider?

I have lost my faith that Riley is the right fit for us. I don't like dumping on them, but there have been situations this year that make it too easy (losing to an interim HC Illinois, mismanaging time against BYU, letting Purdue hang 55 on us etc).

I want nothing more than to say "Wow, they are buying in. It looks like they are going to turn this thing around". But since that Minnesota game I haven't seen anything to spark that flare. Maybe this weekend against Sparty.

If it helps any, Nebraska football is probably the most inconsequential real life concern any of us have right now. :B) It's like arguing barbecue recipes or which color fishing lure catches the most fish. It takes up way more time and effort than it is really worth, but it is what we choose to do.

But seriously, great post NU. You've long been one of the more positive guys on the board during this debacle of a season, and I applaud you for doing so. I will continue as well. Just the type of guy I am-- I prefer to deal in good vibes and positive vibes rather than going through life (or the season) angry and irritated. Just makes life suck a lot more for me.

I think you speak for a lot of us, putting the positive from this season into words and trying to focus on that. The team needs it, the university needs it, and the board sorely needs it to balance out some of the negativity that has flooded in.

Redux, there's no reason it's too late to try to join the crowd putting a more positive spin on things. I guess the narrative there would read that this is one weird-@ss season. We're transitioning, but still managed to be competitive n most every game (with the possible exception of Miami and Purdue). Even those games we lost by a total of ten points. All while dealing with numerous extenuating circumstances which made it very difficult to be successful. Riley and Langs have their handpicked QB coming in as an early enrollee, and while he's obviously very green, he's a much much better fit for the current scheme than any QB we have on the roster currently. Hopefully, they get some major things ironed out with another offseason of work and we get a few bounces to go our way in close games next year, which we've gotten basically 0 of this year.

Suh Fan, my only rebuttal would be to say I don't think we're in any danger of becoming OSU or McNeese overnight. We're Nebraska, damnit, and I don't buy that "we can't return to national prominence... the 90s will never happen again" crap some talking heads will peddle. I think our expectations are in line with national powers. I just think it's fair to expect him fixing the issues Bo left our team with AND winning at the clip we want to win at to be more than a one year project. I can overlook one Murphy's Law season with some poor coaching decisions to go like this. Proof's in the pudding next year... if we continue to drop a ton of close games and look like we have no identity in others, Riley will be deservedly well on his way out the door.

Brophog, way to nag up the positivist thread. Cmon man. :facepalm:

I guess one of the oddest silver linings I've heard is this. If there's anything good about bottoming out, it could be twofold. One, I think you'd sew a lot of attrition of guys who really don't want to be here, who probably don't want to compete, who don't like fighting through adversity, and most of all, don't take a whole lot of pride of wearing the N on the side of their helmet. Basically, guys you don't want anywhere near your program. Secondly, for those who stay, a season like this has to be humbling. It has to eradicate any sense of entitlement from the mindset of guys who think you can just show up on Saturdays and win because you're Nebraska. We got in that position in the first place due to the hard work of a bunch of guys who just plain outworked the opponents. They busted their tails every day in practice and then showed up on gameday and executed what they practiced. They reaped what they'd sown... domination. You earn that. It isn't just forked over because of that N on the helmet. It's earned every day. I'd wager there's a good deal of guys on the roster now who either don't get that, or don't wanna go through what they gotta go through to earn it.

Just my .02. Wound up longer than I thought... sorry!

• Fire 1

But seriously, great post NU. You've long been one of the more positive guys on the board during this debacle of a season, and I applaud you for doing so. I will continue as well. Just the type of guy I am-- I prefer to deal in good vibes and positive vibes rather than going through life (or the season) angry and irritated. Just makes life suck a lot more for me.

I think you speak for a lot of us, putting the positive from this season into words and trying to focus on that. The team needs it, the university needs it, and the board sorely needs it to balance out some of the negativity that has flooded in.

Redux, there's no reason it's too late to try to join the crowd putting a more positive spin on things. I guess the narrative there would read that this is one weird-@ss season. We're transitioning, but still managed to be competitive n most every game (with the possible exception of Miami and Purdue). Even those games we lost by a total of ten points. All while dealing with numerous extenuating circumstances which made it very difficult to be successful. Riley and Langs have their handpicked QB coming in as an early enrollee, and while he's obviously very green, he's a much much better fit for the current scheme than any QB we have on the roster currently. Hopefully, they get some major things ironed out with another offseason of work and we get a few bounces to go our way in close games next year, which we've gotten basically 0 of this year.

Suh Fan, my only rebuttal would be to say I don't think we're in any danger of becoming OSU or McNeese overnight. We're Nebraska, damnit, and I don't buy that "we can't return to national prominence... the 90s will never happen again" crap some talking heads will peddle. I think our expectations are in line with national powers. I just think it's fair to expect him fixing the issues Bo left our team with AND winning at the clip we want to win at to be more than a one year project. I can overlook one Murphy's Law season with some poor coaching decisions to go like this. Proof's in the pudding next year... if we continue to drop a ton of close games and look like we have no identity in others, Riley will be deservedly well on his way out the door.

Brophog, way to nag up the positivist thread. Cmon man. :facepalm:

I guess one of the oddest silver linings I've heard is this. If there's anything good about bottoming out, it could be twofold. One, I think you'd sew a lot of attrition of guys who really don't want to be here, who probably don't want to compete, who don't like fighting through adversity, and most of all, don't take a whole lot of pride of wearing the N on the side of their helmet. Basically, guys you don't want anywhere near your program. Secondly, for those who stay, a season like this has to be humbling. It has to eradicate any sense of entitlement from the mindset of guys who think you can just show up on Saturdays and win because you're Nebraska. We got in that position in the first place due to the hard work of a bunch of guys who just plain outworked the opponents. They busted their tails every day in practice and then showed up on gameday and executed what they practiced. They reaped what they'd sown... domination. You earn that. It isn't just forked over because of that N on the helmet. It's earned every day. I'd wager there's a good deal of guys on the roster now who either don't get that, or don't wanna go through what they gotta go through to earn it.

Just my .02. Wound up longer than I thought... sorry!

Was there anyone else you wanted to mention in your post? Possibly someone who has also had a positive attitude this season? :B)

Yup, frustrated, upset, disheartened.

Still going out to cheer, still wear red on game day, still will find the things to praise and be respectful in voicing my frustrations.

It's not that I think that everythings sunshine and rainbows. It's that I can see the little bits of sun peaking out here and there and I'd rather chill in those than stand in the rain and scream about it.

NUance, I respect your opinion. I think we are all very frustrated. I don't know whether to cut bait or to wait regarding MR. Yes, the AD holds the cards, but who holds him? It will take the board to move to make any changes this year. Realistically, it will probably take a total collapse in the final 3 games for that to happen.

I believe MR will be back next year, but we cannot afford another year like this one - less we become Kansas 2.0

The past two years we were worried about being compared to As yet undefeated Iowa. We have now reached the point where we are drifting towards Kansas. Iowa has become a pipe dream. That's all that needs to be said about this "coaching" staff. They are completely lost and in way over their head. To accept this is to finally accept the national narrative that we are in fact a has been program with no chance to regain national respectability.

No disrespect for those of you on the positive island at all. I just don't feel like going gently into the good night at this point

• Fire 1

What qualities made Devaney a championship coach. What qualities made Osborne a championship coach? What did they instill in the players to make them expect to win, believe, and achieve? How did they instill it? How did they get their assistants to constantly strive for excellence?

Without people in administration asking or knowing the answers to these questions, I see NO REASON to expect NU to ever return to national relevance.

Very well said.

We are at a weird point with this program.

I am concerned about Riley and his ability and the future of this program, but at this point we need to take a step back and see the bigger picture.

That being said, Riley has used up his free pass. Anything below 7 wins next year is a major issue.

And moving forward, he needs to show major growth/progression each year.

I also believe he needs to draw a line in the sand now. Fire your coaches who arent succeeding and add new blood to the program.

Very well said.

We are at a weird point with this program.

I am concerned about Riley and his ability and the future of this program, but at this point we need to take a step back and see the bigger picture.

That being said, Riley has used up his free pass. Anything below 7 wins next year is a major issue.

And moving forward, he needs to show major growth/progression each year.

I also believe he needs to draw a line in the sand now. Fire your coaches who arent succeeding and add new blood to the program.

Absolutely. If he is willing to at least axe Banker I would be willing to see what happens next year. I would prefer DL to fall under the same axe but Banker would suffice. That would at least show that he understands there is a serious problem with how this defense is being coached

NUance, I respect your opinion. I think we are all very frustrated. I don't know whether to cut bait or to wait regarding MR. Yes, the AD holds the cards, but who holds him? It will take the board to move to make any changes this year. Realistically, it will probably take a total collapse in the final 3 games for that to happen.

I believe MR will be back next year, but we cannot afford another year like this one - less we become Kansas 2.0

The past two years we were worried about being compared to As yet undefeated Iowa. We have now reached the point where we are drifting towards Kansas. Iowa has become a pipe dream. That's all that needs to be said about this "coaching" staff. They are completely lost and in way over their head. To accept this is to finally accept the national narrative that we are in fact a has been program with no chance to regain national respectability.

No disrespect for those of you on the positive island at all. I just don't feel like going gently into the good night at this point

C'mon, you know the Iowa team we were worried about becoming was the 7-6 team last year and their 4-8 team in 2012. You know the team that hadn't won more than 8 games since 2009? I hardly think one bad year for us coupled with the Iowa's best record in a while is enough to call us Kansas. Maybe sometime, but certainly not yet.

C'mon, you know the Iowa team we were worried about becoming was the 7-6 team last year and their 4-8 team in 2012. You know the team that hadn't won more than 8 games since 2009? I hardly think one bad year for us coupled with the Iowa's best record in a while is enough to call us Kansas. Maybe sometime, but certainly not yet.
Ok well we HAVE become the Iowa team of 2012 and we are in danger of getting much much worse. This team has regressed through the year. With the exception of a blip at Minn. they have gotten worse every week.

Sorry, but we are drifting toward the bowels of D1 at this point. We are not Texas. We can't recruit the players they can to rebuild quickly with a new coach. Another year of this will be terminal. At the very least make coordinator changes. Send some sign that this current sh#t show is not acceptable to the head coach. I know Banker and Langsdorf are friends but they would almost have to understand given the onfield performance and the position MR finds himself in

Disagree with the idea that the best thing for the program is to "not rip it to shreds" and a good recruiting class.

If you believe Riley is not the answer, you know the question is whether we have this conversation now or 3-4 years from now. It's not going to get any easier by sweeping this mess under the rug. Indeed, the easiest time to make the transition is right now, when the bond between player and coach has not cemented yet. By waiting 3-4 years, you are just going to create another "rebuilding" hurdle for the next coach to overcome. ("Not all the guys have bought in to Coach X's system. A lot of them didn't want to see Coach Riley go and still miss Coach Riley.")

He's soft. He's stubborn like a mule. Experiment should never have started to begin with and we've seen more than enough to confirm our initial suspicions. Push re-set. In three seasons under the right coach, we'll all even forget that Riley & Co. were ever here in the first place, as it should be.

If voicing our frustration with the coaching staff and the AD that brought them here hastens the onset of very necessary change, then it's exactly what we should do, even if it "hurts" the program in the near term. It will still be better than sweeping things under the rug and letting the cancer grow from a small lesion to a grapefruit-sized tumor four years from now. If you think a coaching change now would hurt, just think how bad that will feel.

Let's go ahead and do the damn thing already and get the coach we should have gotten in December 2014.

• Fire 2