What would the Staff have to change for you to get on board?

thatguy

changes NOW:

1. Reduce penalties

2. Run more

3. If the problem is indeed some players not buying in, then sit them down. Don't care if its a team captain. You are the HEAD COACH, its your rules or the highway, if you have some people not buying in, sit them down, and later re-evaluate their contributions to the program later. As a coach, if you continue to let players who dont buy in or listen play and let alone START, you are creating a bad atmosphere within itself, what sort of message is that sending everyone else?

4. For short term, unless being coached or getting a short rest, make a rule stating no player shall sit on the bench, and be engaged in the game at all times.

At years end. Get rid of Banker. Seriously, I am willing to give Riley and Langsdorff one more year, as for whatever reason part of me thinks Langs can actually do something given the right tools. Banker is a fraud, and has been for more than a decade. Got to get rid of Banker.

Stop passing on 3rd and short. Yes, I know that the run game can be stuffed on 3rd and short, but then that's just getting beat fair and square. I trust Armstrong's legs more than his arm, and his instincts more than his judgment.

Get some outside input on new run plays. The ones used now are uninspiring, to say the least.

Hire some smart grad assistant to run the timeouts, clock, and extra point strategy. Seriously, Riley isn't the first coach to have brain freezes in this area, so I am serious in that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have someone thinking about this BEFORE the time comes in the heat of the battle.

Act like a loss is a bad thing.

Don't play with your sweatshirt string when your team is imploding. Find a player on the sideline and go coach him.

On defense, jam receivers on the line. Yeah, I know that could lead to a defender getting burned, but that happens now on a regular basis, so any change in pass coverage techniques would be a welcome change.

This is a statement I agree with pretty strongly. I think our passing on third and short doesn't show a strong awareness of our teams strengths and weaknesses. TA struggles with accuracy. I feel comfortable stating that as a fact. I have more faith on picking up a few yards on the ground than completing a pass and getting a few yards on the ground.

Recognizing your own limitations as a coach. If you're not great at time management, have someone you trust in charge of it.

Banker. Has to go. He is worse then Cosgrove. I honestly dont think I've seen a worse DC in my life. It's so demoralizing to have a lead a give the other team an 80 yd field and feel like you have no chance at all of stopping them. Every single game opposing receivers are catching balls where nebraska doesn't have a player visible on the TV screen at the point of completion. And when they are they won't look back for the ball. Worst coached defense in Nebraska history

Reed, Banker, and Stewart should be canned. Stewart and Reed more than Banker. Stewart teaches terrible technique that can and easily be fixed IMO. And Reed was a head scratching add to begin with. Possibly another OL coach instead of Reed or even a CO-DC who does most of the recruiting.

Also, better play calling. I understand we aren't as good at running the ball that's fine. But when it's 3rd and short, why pass?