McKewon Monday Rewind: Husker defense has a ways to go

zoogs

I hear you, Banker doubters. But I like this guy. Is he a Top 5, Top 10, Top 15 DC in the country? Possibly not. But I like him here at Nebraska and I think, with time, his group will put up some pretty salty performances.

This is a long article and well worth the read. As Sam says, the offense believes -- and they have some of the production to show for it. The defense shows spirit, yes, but they're holding on for dear life.

And here's a bit from the always quotable Banker:

What will Nebraska’s defense look like when Banker has it where he wants it?

“What will it look like? Oh (expletive), it’ll be toughness, speed, tacklers. When people finish playing you, they know they’ve been in a game whether you win or lose. Physicality. Just dogs in coverage ... you just want guys up in people’s grills and playing tight coverage. Just battling. I guess the word is: more gritty. Just totally getting after people. You don’t need all these magical calls and all this other stuff. It’s you and him and take him out.”

Go get 'em, MB.

• Fire 1

https://twitter.com/swmckewonOWH/status/663584569996759040

I hear you, Banker doubters. But I like this guy. Is he a Top 5, Top 10, Top 15 DC in the country? Possibly not. But I like him here at Nebraska and I think, with time, his group will put up some pretty salty performances.

This is a long article and well worth the read. As Sam says, the offense believes -- and they have some of the production to show for it. The defense shows spirit, yes, but they're holding on for dear life.

And here's a bit from the always quotable Banker:

What will Nebraskas defense look like when Banker has it where he wants it?

What will it look like? Oh (expletive), itll be toughness, speed, tacklers. When people finish playing you, they know theyve been in a game whether you win or lose. Physicality. Just dogs in coverage ... you just want guys up in peoples grills and playing tight coverage. Just battling. I guess the word is: more gritty. Just totally getting after people. You dont need all these magical calls and all this other stuff. Its you and him and take him out.

Go get 'em, MB.
tight coverage?

I like Banker's attitude so hope we can turn this around. Just have not seen a great overall game from the defense. We need to put it all together. Run defense has been good at times. Tackling has been good at times. D Line has been good at times. Gerry seemed to play better yesterday vs MSU. Rose got that INT. I want to see more sacks and way better coverage in the secondary. And we need to make some big hits and bring energy, :bonesflag:

• Fire 1

Great article by Sam.

Super scary quote by Banker. Here's why: every coach would play man coverage in a perfect world. If you had all the studs, infinite practice time, infinite preparation time....everything you needed...every single coach would play exclusively man. It's the best coverage in football.

Defensive football is about balancing coverages vs fronts. They must be in sync. Football has 8 zones; 3 deep and 5 underneath. If we put 8 guys in coverage, we only have 3 rushers vs 5 blockers. That's no good. The best we could do is have 5 defenders vs 5 receivers. That'd be great, now we have a man free for the QB. But, wait, now we only have 5 zones covered. That's no good. This is why man coverage is the best; it's the most efficient way to allocate resources.

Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world, that's why we have these magical calls and other stuff.

• Fire 3

What will Nebraska’s defense look like when Banker has it where he wants it?

“What will it look like? Oh (expletive), it’ll be toughness, speed, tacklers. When people finish playing you, they know they’ve been in a game whether you win or lose. Physicality. Just dogs in coverage ... you just want guys up in people’s grills and playing tight coverage. Just battling. I guess the word is: more gritty. Just totally getting after people. You don’t need all these magical calls and all this other stuff. It’s you and him and take him out.”

Go get 'em, MB.

Has he ever had a defense where he wants it? We're not talking about a Venables or Bud Foster here. Banker doesn't have a history to show that he's capable of having such a defense.

• Fire 1

Has he ever had a defense where he wants it? We're not talking about a Venables or Bud Foster here. Banker doesn't have a history to show that he's capable of having such a defense.

Agreed. Perhaps if we can keep the vision, but bring someone else in that has had success, and move Banker to another coaching slot (Special Teams, perhaps?) to keep him on board? And Sam's article makes some really good points about defense being the reason why certain teams are still undefeated...and why we're 4-6 and hoping for a bowl bid:

Fans keep asking me on social media and in email, what the difference is between Nebraska, Michigan, Florida and Iowa. It’s those three teams, over and over. I get it. They’re good this year.

Here’s my answer:
Michigan, Florida and Iowa all rank among the top 10 in yards per play allowed. Nebraska ranks 100th.
Michigan, Florida and Iowa all rank in the top 16 in limiting opponent plays of 30 yards or more. Nebraska ranks 123rd.
Michigan, Florida and Iowa all rank in the top 12 in pass efficiency defense. Nebraska ranks 85th.
Only one of four beat Michigan State, and that’s to Nebraska’s credit. But NU is 4-6 because of the above numbers. Michigan, Florida and Iowa are in the hunt for conference titles because of the above numbers.

I wonder what Banker's best season was with regards to those stats--I know someone dug them up for another thread, I'll see if I can find/link.

I have faith that Riley and Langsdorf will get the offense to the right place. As Sam points out, its already at the same yards/play pace as last year's.

But I think that the Riley hire is going to be ultimately judged on what the defense does. Can Banker get the D to an above average level? And if not, can Riley pull the trigger and bring in a D coordinator who can?

if you bring in a new DC would he want to clean house on the defensive staff?

He would probably want at least 1 or 2 guys that he's comfortable working with.

This question is meaningless because Banker isn't getting fired. Riley honestly thinks it's a good scheme and Banker is putting his players in position to succeed. In Riley's mind, it's the players not fully "getting" the system.

Our problem has been on D for several years. What were they last year, 8 or 9th in the conference in most categories. There was just a bright spot in the D when it came to passing. But they aren't in a passing conference and should stop the run to try and get people like Cook, Stave, Beathard, etc to beat them throwing. It's a better game plan given their inconsistencies at times. The play management at the end of the MSU game showed it when Cook ran the clock out.

Fix the 30 yard pass plays and the D tightens way up. That may take some new players or just more time in the system or both. Ask MSU what happens when a team strings together 3 or 4, 30 yard pass plays at the end of a game.

When other teams put up 400+ yards passing we've still been in the games at the end, in the past they'd put up 400+ yards rushing and blow us out before halftime. I think Banker is probably a better D coordinater than Papuchis.

Our problem has been on D for several years. What were they last year, 8 or 9th in the conference in most categories. There was just a bright spot in the D when it came to passing. But they aren't in a passing conference and should stop the run to try and get people like Cook, Stave, Beathard, etc to beat them throwing. It's a better game plan given their inconsistencies at times. The play management at the end of the MSU game showed it when Cook ran the clock out.

Fix the 30 yard pass plays and the D tightens way up. That may take some new players or just more time in the system or both. Ask MSU what happens when a team strings together 3 or 4, 30 yard pass plays at the end of a game.

When other teams put up 400+ yards passing we've still been in the games at the end, in the past they'd put up 400+ yards rushing and blow us out before halftime. I think Banker is probably a better D coordinater than Papuchis.

I constantly see this argument that the D has been terrible for years. Yes, there were plenty of games under Bo where the D was absolutely terrible, but it wasn't "every game". The problem with Banker's D is that EVERYONE has had big games against the Banker D this year. Almost every opponent has gained more yards against Nebraska than their average total offense for the season. I am not sure where it is in the "scoring defense", but I am sure the past 3 opponents have scored more than their average. Purdue scores 55 against NU in one week, and then 10 points against Illinois the next week.

Yes, Bo had complete failures against Wisconsin twice, UCLA, and a few other games. However, with Banker's D they are a complete sieve. Against Michigan State, the Spartans went FG, TD, INT, TD, TD, TD, TD in a span of 7 possessions. That's not good.

• Fire 2

I constantly see this argument that the D has been terrible for years. Yes, there were plenty of games under Bo where the D was absolutely terrible, but it wasn't "every game". The problem with Banker's D is that EVERYONE has had big games against the Banker D this year. Almost every opponent has gained more yards against Nebraska than their average total offense for the season. I am not sure where it is in the "scoring defense", but I am sure the past 3 opponents have scored more than their average. Purdue scores 55 against NU in one week, and then 10 points against Illinois the next week.

Yes, Bo had complete failures against Wisconsin twice, UCLA, and a few other games. However, with Banker's D they are a complete sieve. Against Michigan State, the Spartans went FG, TD, INT, TD, TD, TD, TD in a span of 7 possessions. That's not good.

No one is going to argue that its good. There is lotsa of work to do.

Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it:

Solich lets McBride and TO talk him into promoting Bohl to DC

BC hooks-up his old buddy Cosgrove when times had already passed him by at Wiscy.

When we can Carl the fornicator and miss on Mike Stoops rather than just go for another big DC hire we promote Papuchis to a job he wasn't ready for.

Riley brings along a DC that he was being pushed to can at freaking Oregon State.

When did we make a good hire? When Solich threw friendship aside and called Monte Kiffen for a name on who would be a good DC. You know what's depressing? To see UNC this year. They have Warren on db's(after we let ourselves get outbid), Papuchis on lb's, and most importantly brought in Gene Chizik to run the D. They are killing it. That is how you staff to win. You go out and hire the best you can get, you don't have half your team ran by a buddy you hooked-up.

• Fire 1

...and here we go again.

Bo showed us in the 2012 conference title game that he was a mental midget defensively in big games. Once Suh and the Peso Defense graduated and we moved to the Big 10, Bo was relatively embarrassing in the games that mattered. He should have won a conference title in 2012. He couldn't (and wouldn't) adjust. Rinse, wash, repeat.

He couldn't stop the run in a conference built largely for the run, when it mattered. That's actually for me the number one reason that I'm glad at this point that he's gone. In my completely subjective opinion, Bo was never going to beat Urban in a conference title. Conference titles are what we need. Our new guy knows how to stop the run. Let's give him some time to work with his secondary.