Beating Teams We "Should" Beat

Mavric

How does everyone ignore that there was nothing that indicated Nebraska "should" win at Purdue?

The starting talent and experience was considerably in Purdue's favor.

Nebraska had no starting veteran QB, starting RB, starting SS, and biggest potential playmaker at WR.

A walk-on, 1st time starting QB that threw 4 picks is about par for the course.

A running game without arguably their best offensive lineman (Nick Gates) blocking out to injury and the best pass protection running back out.

A defensive front seven that has been hodgepodged from the beginning of the season due to suspension or nagging injury.

and a secondary that has proven incapable to handle man coverage and a free safety that has progressively gotten worse every single week.

Hindsight is 20/20 sure, but anyone that thought Nebraska "should" win this game, wasn't paying very close attention.

That is what is so sad. Historically, a Husker team with 22 starters out with injury would give a one win Purdue team an epic beatdown.

Nebraska had no starting veteran QB

...and Purdue had a redshirt freshman taking snaps, so that sort of cancels each other out.

I am not minimizing what Purdue did, but they aren't exactly the Monsters of the Midway.

A really good redshirt freshman, as it were.

All in all, we shouldn't have lost to Purdue. But I don't think that loss is as ugly or awful or low-point as, for example, the 2009 ISU loss. That Purdue team could easily be 5-4 the same way we could easily be 9-1.

...and Purdue had a redshirt freshman taking snaps, so that sort of cancels each other out. I am not minimizing what Purdue did, but they aren't exactly the Monsters of the Midway.
A really good redshirt freshman, as it were. All in all, we shouldn't have lost to Purdue. But I don't think that loss is as ugly or awful or low-point as, for example, the 2009 ISU loss. That Purdue team could easily be 5-4 the same way we could easily be 9-1.

As for Purdue, that record is too high. They get out gained by 1.3 yards a play. It's only slightly better than their 2013 season when they went 1-11, and they could equal that year given their remaining opponents. 3 total wins, with 1 of them being FCS, that's a plausible number of expected wins with their scoring numbers.

...and Purdue had a redshirt freshman taking snaps, so that sort of cancels each other out.

I am not minimizing what Purdue did, but they aren't exactly the Monsters of the Midway.

A really good redshirt freshman, as it were.

All in all, we shouldn't have lost to Purdue. But I don't think that loss is as ugly or awful or low-point as, for example, the 2009 ISU loss. That Purdue team could easily be 5-4 the same way we could easily be 9-1.

Eh, 09 ISU was even better than that. They were ACTUALLY 7-6 and won a bowl game. They lost to KState on a blocked PAT with 32 seconds to go. They led Kansas going into the 4th quarter. And they were tied with Missouri going into the fourth quarter. So they weren't that far from 9-3.

No no no...look...the MSU win is great but lets not use that great feeling to start pretending like Purdue is a good team or even close to that term.

9 point dogs at home to a 3 win NU team. 5 wins in the last 3 years.

This is what we started to do with Wyoming a few years back..."Well that QB will be in the NFL...I bet they win 10 games this year...That WR is probably getting drafted in the 3rd round"

...and Purdue had a redshirt freshman taking snaps, so that sort of cancels each other out. I am not minimizing what Purdue did, but they aren't exactly the Monsters of the Midway.
A really good redshirt freshman, as it were. All in all, we shouldn't have lost to Purdue. But I don't think that loss is as ugly or awful or low-point as, for example, the 2009 ISU loss. That Purdue team could easily be 5-4 the same way we could easily be 9-1.
Eh, 09 ISU was even better than that. They were ACTUALLY 7-6 and won a bowl game. They lost to KState on a blocked PAT with 32 seconds to go. They led Kansas going into the 4th quarter. And they were tied with Missouri going into the fourth quarter. So they weren't that far from 9-3.

ISU were already outperforming at 7-6. They were actually being out scored that year.

No no no...look...the MSU win is great but lets not use that great feeling to start pretending like Purdue is a good team or even close to that term.

9 point dogs at home to a 3 win NU team. 5 wins in the last 3 years.

This is what we started to do with Wyoming a few years back..."Well that QB will be in the NFL...I bet they win 10 games this year...That WR is probably getting drafted in the 3rd round"

And NU won that Wyoming game, and was up by 3 TD's in the 4th quarter before letting up in the last few minutes. It was basically the complete opposite of the Purdue game.

Also saw someone say that the only non-bowl team Osborne lost to was 1992 ISU but can't find it now.

After 10 minutes on Wikipedia, this claim is false by a long ways. TO technically lost to 8 teams that didn't go to a bowl. But the total is probably really 7 as we lost to OU in 1990 when they were on probation so they couldn't go.

1974 Wisconsin in Madison

1974 Missouri in Lincoln

1976 Iowa St in Ames

1976 Missouri in Lincoln

1977 Washington St in Lincoln

1984 Syracuse in Syracuse

1992 Iowa St

1990 Oklahoma in Norman (OU finished 8-3, but didn't go to a bowl game due to probation)

So were those teams bowl-eligible but just weren't selected as you mentioned earlier (except 92 ISU)?

73 & 74 OU would also been on that list due to being ineligible.

I don't think anyone but the Big 10 and Pac 8 champs went to a bowl in the 70s so Wisconsin and Washington St are *'d too, though Wash St was only 6-5.

I think all but 92 ISU was bowl eligible, but some of those teams were only 6-5.