Northwestern Students Rally to Improve Black Student Experience

Mavric

Adam Rittenberg ‏@ESPNRittenberg 57m57 minutes ago
The protesters initially gathered behind a curtain and chanted. then they stormed in as athletic director Jim Phillips was speaking.
Adam Rittenberg ‏@ESPNRittenberg 53m53 minutes ago
Protesters now leaving while chanting "You can't stop the revolution!"
Adam Rittenberg ‏@ESPNRittenberg 50m50 minutes ago
Northwestern president Morton Schapiro says despite the interruption students were brave for speaking out like they did.
Adam Rittenberg ‏@ESPNRittenberg 32m32 minutes ago
Just to be clear, protestors at Northwestern athletics event had come from a larger rally on campus. Wasn't organized for this event alone.

I am absolutely confused with all of this. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure there is racism. But, none of these protests seem to be about a specific thing. It doesn't help the cause unless the people that can make the change understand a reasonable path to the change and what specifically needs changed.

If you don't have that, then your protest just looks like a bunch of idiots that want to yell about something.

How does one "improve black student experience"?

You grade on tests easier. Duh.

Cuz bad grade = discrimination, you know.

Are any of the protesters actually claiming this?

I don't know if it's a point of emphasis in the current protest, but NW has had race-related issues for a long time, especially in regards to the black student body population outside of athletes. I think I read somewhere that not including scholarship athletes, the school is about 97% white or something like that. Which might even be influenced by systemic inequality towards blacks, but I feel like a university is at the tail end of that problem, not the beginning (ie, kids not getting accepted because of not getting good enough grades, because of not having access to quality teachers or education standards, because of lack of funding, because of poor neighborhoods, etc.)