Paris attacks

Except Muslim and Extremist are two entirely different things...

The problem is these extremist Muslims are practicing the religion in a very straight-forward way.

bin Laden, for instance, wasn't distorting the religion, he was practicing the fundamental ideas. Jihad and Martyrdom are mainstream, central ideas of Islam.

We need to start speaking honestly about this. More importantly, moderate Muslims need to start speaking honestly about this.

There needs to be reform within the religion itself.

• Fire 2

why in the heck are you on here arguing about this right now?

Because the battle against hate, ignorance and stupidity starts at my front door.

I'm sick of this political correctness BS.

This line usually comes before or after something stupid is said by the person who's saying it.

Normally I'd agree with you. But when it comes to Islamic violence, he's right. Political correctness is hindering our ability to speak honestly about it.
  • Fire 3

Ameer Abdullah is Muslim. So is Abdul Muhammad, Nebraska's great WR from the 1990s.

I suppose some people are comfortable with lumping all Muslims together. Me, I think Ameer is a True Son of Nebraska, and indicative everything this program and team stands for. And I'm damned glad to have had him here, and proud that he chose to come to Nebraska.

But that's just me, I guess.

I'm not comfortable at all with lumping all Muslims together, but I don't necessarily align with you entirely either.

I think of it the same way I think of the Greek system. I know way too many people who have been in frats or sororities who are great, great people that I love dearly, but at the same time, I'm pretty sure the Greek system is conducive to a certain kind of mindset or attractive to a certain kind of person that end up being really terrible. I know plenty of great Muslim people, and I know OF plenty more, but I also do not see this widespread, hellbent, "join us or die" sort of extremism coming out of any other faith systems at anywhere near the same influence or effect. That is scary to me.

I would say it is an extremist problem, and a Muslim extremist problem. I think you're arguing a false equivalency.

This isn't going to be put very eloquently because I don't know all that much about it, but I don't think it's specific to the religion. It's more to do with the fact that a much larger part of the population in the middle east is ignorant because the middle east still hasn't had an age of enlightenment, which most places had 300 years ago. Back then religion dominated everything, including science. I don't think it's something about Islam that causes this. It's more to do with the history of that area, where Islam just happens to be the main religion.

• Fire 1

Except Muslim and Extremist are two entirely different things...

The problem is these extremist Muslims are practicing the religion in a very straight-forward way.

bin Laden, for instance, wasn't distorting the religion, he was practicing the fundamental ideas. Jihad and Martyrdom are mainstream, central ideas of Islam.

We need to start speaking honestly about this. More importantly, moderate Muslims need to start speaking honestly about this.

There needs to be reform within the religion itself.

There's plenty of bad stuff in pretty much every religious text. The people need to be educated. I'm sure the people who lead these extremist causes are psychopaths but they're gathering lots of ignorant followers who believe whatever they're told. It doesn't help that some of the clerics who are leaders they look up to are batsh#t crazy.

• Fire 1

Until the Muslims themselves stand up to these f#*k balls, acts like these will continue. The problem right now isn't with the ISIS, it's with the rest of the Muslims and their lack of self preservation. Their lack of putting a stop to these types of things. Their lack of grabbing their ball sack and fighting back. Instead of making a stand against these people, they're running away. They're expecting others to fix their problems. As long as that continues to happen, there is nothing we, the Russians, the Brits, or any other country can do that will solve the problem. The Muslims have to fix this problem.

Ameer Abdullah is Muslim. So is Abdul Muhammad, Nebraska's great WR from the 1990s.

I suppose some people are comfortable with lumping all Muslims together. Me, I think Ameer is a True Son of Nebraska, and indicative everything this program and team stands for. And I'm damned glad to have had him here, and proud that he chose to come to Nebraska.

I'm not comfortable at all with lumping all Muslims together, but I don't necessarily align with you entirely either.

I think of it the same way I think of the Greek system. I know way too many people who have been in frats or sororities who are great, great people that I love dearly, but at the same time, I'm pretty sure the Greek system is conducive to a certain kind of mindset or attractive to a certain kind of person that end up being really terrible. I know plenty of great Muslim people, and I know OF plenty more, but I also do not see this widespread, hellbent, "join us or die" sort of extremism coming out of any other faith systems at anywhere near the same influence or effect. That is scary to me.

I would say it is an extremist problem, and a Muslim extremist problem. I think you're arguing a false equivalency.

This isn't going to be put very eloquently because I don't know all that much about it, but I don't think it's specific to the religion. It's more to do with the fact that a much larger part of the population in the middle east is ignorant because the middle east still hasn't had an age of enlightenment, which most places had 300 years ago. Back then religion dominated everything, including science. I don't think it's something about Islam that causes this. It's more to do with the history of that area, where Islam just happens to be the main religion.

This made me think of this video I watched recently. Interesting bit of perspective.

• Fire 1

This made me think of this video I watched recently. Interesting bit of perspective.

Great (and scary) video. I can see us headed that way but this probably isn't the right topic to start that conversation.

Hey, I said before that I hope everyone you know is fine, and I mean that, and I will say a prayer when I go to bed here shortly that they are fine. But I do not understand how you can equate what happened there to deaths from car accidents. This is a "politics" forum too, and you of all people were defending Obama for wanting to "politicize" the Oregon shooting, and now are criticizing others on a "politics" forum for discussing the political fallout from today's terror attack.

I could care less about your hollow words. Your agenda is clear to anyone who reads these forums. You're the one who takes a tragedy like this and casts imprecations at Obama. This isn't some game for you to further your political hatred of the current president. It's a real situation.Piss off, idiot.

Cmon knapp, that's a bit harsh. I know y'all aren't seeing eye to eye on this but to basically tell the guy, who said he's going to pray for your family, to F off is a bit extreme.

The whole world needs to recognize what has to be done. As the French President said, "We are going to lead a war which will be pitiless.", and I hope that's not just rhetoric and that the world has the resolve to wage it. Wrong is wrong, evil is evil, and there can be no negotiation or effort to be tolerant or political wishes wondering how we can understand the point of view of these extremist pig-worshiping bastards. They are godless and must be exterminated.

Maybe with the recent news out of Sweden this will help Europe and the rest of the Western world to change their thinking on migration from Muslim countries. While it may be true that only a small percentage of refugees and migrants are militant and radical Muslims, the fact is that all are potential carriers of the disease. The flood of migrants need to be treated as potential carriers of a deadly Ebola-like disease. If European countries feel obliged to allow the migrants entry, they need to be quarantined and isolated from the native citizens. Naturally, the best form of defense against a people-borne disease is to prevent carriers from entering your country. If migrants find living in their own countries unbearable, they should be encouraged to return to their own countries to make the changes there in order to make living there bearable again. Some would call it tough love, but no constructive purpose is gained by allowing the migrants to make their new host countries as unbearable as those that they left in the first place.

IMO, if we don't start doing the above the peace loving hippie needs to understand that we have two choices, we can fight them there or we can fight them here. More and more it's looking like here to me with the hundreds of thousands, undocumented young male Arab migrants, crossing the borders. Sadly this is only the beginning.

• Fire 2

Until the Muslims themselves stand up to these f#*k balls, acts like these will continue. The problem right now isn't with the ISIS, it's with the rest of the Muslims and their lack of self preservation. Their lack of putting a stop to these types of things. Their lack of grabbing their ball sack and fighting back. Instead of making a stand against these people, they're running away. They're expecting others to fix their problems. As long as that continues to happen, there is nothing we, the Russians, the Brits, or any other country can do that will solve the problem. The Muslims have to fix this problem.

Well... they're not. Has to make a person wonder how much a moderate Muslim truly dislikes the actions of the extremist Muslim.

• Fire 1

He need to change his religion

Please tell me you forgot to add a little sign that signifies normally obvious sarcasm.

Who is "them"? That "JV team" he referred to a while back?

"I don't think they're gaining strength," Obama told ABC News' "Good Morning America." "We have contained them. They have not gained ground in Iraq. And in Syria, they'll come in, they'll leave, but you don't see this systematic march by ISIL across the terrain."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/11/14/obama-condemns-heartbreaking-paris-attacks-vows-terrorists-will-face-justice/

What are moderate Muslims supposed to do? Wage war against ISIS? That is an unfair expectation and unrealistic. Yes, ISIS is a Muslim faction. Yes, they commit atrocities in the "name of Islam". Like Moraine mentioned above, the reason they feel the need or ability to commit these acts is because of a lack of stability and moderate power in that part of the world. I'm sure there are groups of Christians in this country, who if not held in check by a stable government/military, would round up homosexuals by the 10's of thousands to execute them. Actually, I'm pretty sure that group had a rally in Iowa last week with a few Presidential candidates attending (link). BTW: I'm Christian, and this is me denouncing that group in Iowa. About all I can do except vote, I'm not sure ISIS is running a democracy though.

Like others have said, it isn't about "religion". It is about a group of extremists who use a religion as cover to wage a disgusting and inhuman war against anyone who wants to take their power away.

Moderate Muslims can denounce it, and they have. But not many pay attention to the 99.99% of peaceful Muslims, because well, it just doesn't fit a narrative.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/muslim-leaders-worldwide-condemn-isis/5397364

http://www.ibtimes.com/isis-ramadan-war-muslim-leaders-condemn-islamic-state-attacks-call-holy-month-time-1990904

Just use that Google tool and type in "Muslims denounce ISIS" that list is not short.....

• Fire 3

Please tell me you forgot to add a little sign that signifies normally obvious sarcasm.

:sarcasm or not