Rutgers, What did we learn?

Branno

Tommy's tendency to throw the ball to the other team is going to always limit him and this team.

I wonder what NU's record for interceptions is? He's gotta be coming up on it. :facepalm:

We've had some bad QBs, so my shot-in-the-dark guess is it's a ways off yet.

Ha ha! Just to be clear, I don't think Tommy is a bad QB. He has a great talent set. But he has a tendency to make bad throws when he's under pressure or the play doesn't go as planned.

You were right though, he's close.

Dave Humm had 36 interceptions in his career. Armstrong now has 32 career ints. Martinez had 29. Eric Crouch had 25, Steve Taylor had 24. Most of NU's QBs had far fewer yards to go along with their interceptions, for example Joe Daily had about 2100 yards and 21 interceptions. Jamaal Lord 2800 yards and 22 interceptions. etc.,.

http://www.huskers.com/pdf9/2760887.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=100

Those stats I believe are through the end of 2014 (TA has added another 12 ints this year, and he's up around 6,000 passing yards now).

I learned that Nebraska is the best 5-6 team in the country and I would like our chances in a game against any other 5-6 team or worse. Now, we have to hope for good weather vs. Iowa and get the Hawkeyes and punch in the nose. Just remind them who's the boss! LOL then go out and get a bowl invite somewhere, practice hard and get a big blowout win to finish on this season.

I think if we win out, we will find a few more critical recruits and some more of the guys who are 'on the edge' will finally make the right decision and come to Lincoln. Any guy who has been carefully looking, come in for a visit or two, brought his family or best friend or other close person and thought long and hard will not regret choosing Huskers! Once a Husker, always a Husker! We've had a few disgruntled guys that should not have been here (Bo's mistakes). Guys who come for Riley and give it their all will NOT regret it.

1. Our defense actually has a pulse. The only play where Rutgers seemed to have an open receiver was the first drive when the QB overthrew Caroo. Besides that our secondary seemed to be on their receivers like glue. We held their quarterback to under 50% passing, 0 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. That's a huge difference from when we gave up 300+ yards to Mitch Leidner.
  2. Nate Gerry isn't as bad as everyone's made him out to be this season. How about that? Our All-Conference safety can still play at an All-Conference level. I'll be interested to see if we ran less quarters coverage this game, it seemed we had the safeties playing over the top. Something Gerry has been comfortable playing.
  3. Kalu had his best game. I really think he's going to be a special corner for us. He's been playing better lately, and I thought he had his best game as a Husker today.
  4. We can run the ball. I'm not going to do all the math, but taking away Armstrong's numbers and whatever the box score listed as Team: 3 carries -5 yards, our backs and receivers ran for 171 yards on 28 carries for an average of 6.1 yards a carry. Also turns out that Ozigbo guy is still really really good, still boggles my mind why he doesn't carry the ball more.
  5. Cethan Carter was awesome. That receiving touchdown he had, saved a potential interception. Showed speed on the end around. The guy was a monster today.

Not going to criticize Tommy. He is what he is, a gunslinger. Makes plays that will have you scratching your head, and other times he will have you going WOW! Just have to live with it, he's got the mindset of Brett Favre, just not the passing ability. Honestly, I'd rather have a gunslinger than a guy who's too careful with the football and never makes plays.

Overall a great win for the Huskers. Yes, it's frustrating that we didn't win earlier in the season but at least we're winning now. Go Big Red!

• Fire 2

1. Our defense actually has a pulse. The only play where Rutgers seemed to have an open receiver was the first drive when the QB overthrew Caroo. Besides that our secondary seemed to be on their receivers like glue. We held their quarterback to under 50% passing, 0 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. That's a huge difference from when we gave up 300+ yards to Mitch Leidner.
  2. Nate Gerry isn't as bad as everyone's made him out to be this season. How about that? Our All-Conference safety can still play at an All-Conference level. I'll be interested to see if we ran less quarters coverage this game, it seemed we had the safeties playing over the top. Something Gerry has been comfortable playing.
  3. Kalu had his best game. I really think he's going to be a special corner for us. He's been playing better lately, and I thought he had his best game as a Husker today.
  4. We can run the ball. I'm not going to do all the math, but taking away Armstrong's numbers and whatever the box score listed as Team: 3 carries -5 yards, our backs and receivers ran for 171 yards on 28 carries for an average of 6.1 yards a carry. Also turns out that Ozigbo guy is still really really good, still boggles my mind why he doesn't carry the ball more.
  5. Cethan Carter was awesome. That receiving touchdown he had, saved a potential interception. Showed speed on the end around. The guy was a monster today.

Not going to criticize Tommy. He is what he is, a gunslinger. Makes plays that will have you scratching your head, and other times he will have you going WOW! Just have to live with it, he's got the mindset of Brett Favre, just not the passing ability. Honestly, I'd rather have a gunslinger than a guy who's too careful with the football and never makes plays.

Overall a great win for the Huskers. Yes, it's frustrating that we didn't win earlier in the season but at least we're winning now. Go Big Red!

I agree with you about Kalu. And how about Chris Jones too? That dude has come out of nowhere this year and really gotten better as the seasons wore on.

Team overall is unquestionably improving, I think. Coaching is as well.

Tommy's picks were almost a blessing in disguise because they forced Langsdorf to go ground heavy, and that's when the offense looked much sharper. I absolutely loved all the misdirection stuff. Have we ever run a tight-end reverse before?

There are certainly some things that can still be better but for the first time I at least feel like I'm watching something coherent.

I agree with you about Kalu. And how about Chris Jones too? That dude has come out of nowhere this year and really gotten better as the seasons wore on.

I had high hopes for Jones when we recruited him, and he seems to be turning into the real deal. The whole secondary had a great game, even Cockrell made some plays out there! Was really refreshing seeing the defense play that well. I know others will say it's because Rutgers is a total mess, and it's true they are. But we've made other terrible offenses look great this season. Just a really good day for the defense, and now we have the bye week to heal up. Looking forward to Iowa!

That we have talent on the team. It showed in flashes today and for longer periods of time.

Gerry hasn't played worse. Look at his stats from ;last year to this and see his play today.

There is a cultural change needed. The killer instinct and just good old fashioned physicality.

The O play calling at times was awesome (Carter TD run) and them mind boggling (the continued wide receiver screens).

D played much, much better. Granted it was Rutgers, BUT two weeks ago it was Purdue. Improvement is improvement IMO.

Winning makes everything better.

The younger guys can play i.e. Jones, Newby, Oz

I liked how M Newby runs through the player when he tackles. On the QB sack, he didn't pull up as others have. He blew through him.

Think we have a much better chance than anyone gives us against Iowa.

6-6 and a bowl looks much better than it did at 3-6........

Staff till needs some work. Expected much better from all the experience.

• Fire 1

The TD pass to Westerkamp made me uneasy...very good throw, but was it the right read? Looked like triple coverage?

It was zone coverage, he threw it between the zones. Risky, but it shows confidence in your reciever and solid understanding of the defense.

Tommy's tendency to throw the ball to the other team is going to always limit him and this team.

I wonder what NU's record for interceptions is? He's gotta be coming up on it. :facepalm:
We've had some bad QBs, so my shot-in-the-dark guess is it's a ways off yet.
Ha ha! Just to be clear, I don't think Tommy is a bad QB. He has a great talent set. But he has a tendency to make bad throws when he's under pressure or the play doesn't go as planned.
He's seriously Brett Favre; he's a gun slinger, a gambler, a good blocker, has a cannon, is a competitor, and is tough as hell. One play makes you say wow! The next wtf? And he wears number 4... I really wonder if that's why he wears it? They said Tommy will be on The Journey this week and he met with Favre...

I love Tommy and he's unquestionably the best we've got, but does anyone think if we gave him up, in favor of a pro style QB, with just a little mobility, and a more accurate pass, that we have enough play makers around that guy, to be a very potent, and much more consistent offense? I personally think, this has the potential to be a great offense down the road.

Nothing...Rutgers sucks and NU covered/won for the most part with ease. This is the same NU team that should have won BYU, Illini, Wisky, NW and Purdue if not for the coaches being less smart than Corky from the short lived TV Series Life Goes On...The team has no gotten better...the coaches have...thank god.

Nebraska will finish the season 3-0...with two wins over teams in the top 10...with point spreads of +4.5. -8.5 and +3

Assuming they win the bowl game (where they will be favored vs a team with 9-10 wins), NU will be one of the top 10 hottest teams going into the off-season