What happened?

I see my thread was deleted, I did not realize there was a parallel thread here. It is clear the players did not buy in and maybe there was a come to Jesus meeting and players were told to buy in or hit the bricks. Two left and the team gets better all of a sudden. It should have happened earlier but it now looks like we have a team that wants to compete. One has to wonder if the article calling out Gerry in a national publication had a bit to do with it, Maybe the players finally realized that it was clear to everyone that they were dogging it.

At Oregon State, the Beavers under Riley always got better and tougher as the season went on. However, they always seemed slow out of the gate of the season. Thats evidence that he coaches them up as the year goes on, we just hope that he gets good talent in here that there is no slowness at the start of the season.

I do think it's a combination of a lot of things.

I am excited for the Iowa game. Can make our season and really give us momentum going into next year.

They came out very loose and having fun against MSU and some breaks finally went out way. Hell, after Purdue and the DPE freak injury I was ready to write us off as cursed.

I think if the BYU Hail Mary gets batted down it's a completely different season. Losing so close the way we did has to get in players heads. I know it got in the fans heads.

Need to come out loose with some swagger against Iowa.

I see my thread was deleted, I did not realize there was a parallel thread here. It is clear the players did not buy in and maybe there was a come to Jesus meeting and players were told to buy in or hit the bricks. Two left and the team gets better all of a sudden. It should have happened earlier but it now looks like we have a team that wants to compete. One has to wonder if the article calling out Gerry in a national publication had a bit to do with it, Maybe the players finally realized that it was clear to everyone that they were dogging it.

I'm sure that some of it was true, but people are blowing Nate's comments again, just like they did with the "high school defense comments" in fall camp. Like I said above, it's a myriad of issues that have lead to where we're at. Missed tackles and blown assignments are on the players. Throwing the ball 50 times with a backup QB on the road, against the worst rush D in conference, is on the coaches. Getting guys like Davie and Rose-Ivey back helps the depth. And Cavanaugh finally doing some shuffling on the offensive line to provide a spark has helped the run game.

It's going to take the players playing well, and the coaches maximizing the talent we have now, to win games.

What happened was they put in the right players and for the most part called the right plays on offense....on defense they stopped playing prevent most of the time and actually took a chance on some creative blitzes, the db's actually looked for the ball, and everyone tackled well.

Bought in my ass. They've been waiting all year for the coaches to pull their head out.

I like to think the team just wanted to prove that even in their worst season in 50 years they can still beat Iowa in their best season ever.

:worship

This right here is exactly how you should post if you're new to the board if you want to get along OK. Made me laugh.

As someone who's had the misfortune of living in Iowa in their lifetime, a W in this game would give me immeasurable joy.

Part of what happened is we played Rutgers.

another part of it is we played Michigan State.

Yes, we are a .500 team that pulls an upset once in a while. Vintage Mike Riley. Exciting.
Can you just go away already?
If he bothers you that much just ignore him, but you dont have a right to tell others how to be a fan of the team.

Hmmmm...wait a minute...are you telling him how to be a fan of the team? :-) I do agree, the ignore function is great, except that when someone quotes a person you've put on ignore...you still get to occasionally see their soggy cornflakes....such is life...

Nope. Have a pointer on using ignore and called him on sh**ty behavior. Didn't say he couldn't be sh**ty, or that he's a bad fan, or that he should go to a different board where everyone is a sunshine pumper that wants to fellate Riley.

Simply stated a fact. He doesn't have the right to question someone's fandom.

Mentally I think the team turned a corner as well. In the past many times Bo would have a meltdown and the team would lose faith and implode. Lost several games like that.

The Purdue loss was due to a host of things, including coaching. The loss seemed to feed every doubt and negate any confidence the team was building. The fans worst fears seemed confirmed as well. Made it seem that all the close games were meaningless.

But then when the team and the fans saw they could hang with Michigan St. it was undeniable proof they had a reason to believe in themselves. Riley has been talking all season about the mental aspect of this season and I think he helped them a lot in that regard. My hope is the staff will be able to build on this confidence and keep improving.

Why don't these coaches use Ozigbo? He seems like an unstoppable force running with the football. Honestly, I do not understand the decisions made by these coaches. It seems like we could have easily won at least four more games if we committed to the run and it seems like we have some guys that can run. Why is it that guys like Ozigbo and Jano are under utilized? Is there something I am missing?

I would hardly call Jano underutilized. He's been a revelation under this staff after being completely neglected by the previous one.

Hayseed, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility there were guys going through the motions while the pouted about Bo being gone that finally just said "eff it, this is what the situation is now, let's get behind Coach Riley and play some ball."

• Fire 2