Would Tommy play QB in the NFL if ...

NUance

... he becomes as accurate as Joe Ganz, and has as low of an interception percentage? (Ganz: 65% completion. 18 picks out of 585 passes)

===================

Or maybe I should rephrase the question: What existing (or past) NFL quarterback would Tommy compare to if he becomes as accurate and throws as few picks as Ganz?

Ganz didn't make it in the NFL, so why are you using him as a measuring stick? He threw his fair share of picks too.

Tommy is a better runner than Ganz. Heck, Tommy is a better runner than Tim Tebow. And Tommy has more arm strength than Ganz. He just doesn't have Ganz' accuracy, and knack for avoiding interceptions. That's why I picked Ganz. (I thought about using Vince Ferragamo--but Ganz is more recent.)

Armstrong next year would have to have 1,750 rushing yards and 42 rushing TDs to equal what Tebow did running wise.

Right, because Tebow and Tommy ran extremely similar offenses throughout their career. Lol

Understand, but Tommy isn't on the same planet as Tebow. Lets not act like he is either

I could play in the NFL if I improved my arm strength, grew 6 inches and could read NFL defenses.

TA will never play QB in the NFL. He may have a shot if he changes positions. He is fast and tough. But there is no way he can read NFL defenses and make good decisions consistently. He also struggles with high percentages passes.

There are probably 8-10 QB's on NFL rosters that are no better than TA right now. He has a cannon for an arm and is athletic. These NFL guys are more concerned with whether he can throw the out from one hash to the other sideline than if he is super accurate. I would doubt very much that he would be drafted unless he has a great Sr. year, but some one will give him a shot as a FA. They really don't lose much by bringing him in and seeing if he can work into something.

Russell Wilson!

5' 11" - 206 lbs.

2008: 54% (NC State)

2009: 59%

2010: 58%

2011: 73% (Wisonsin)

Obviously, Wilson is a special talent. He also had a monster year in 2011, and successfully transitioned to the NFL. So, I'm not saying Tommy is Russell Wilson. But will height and weight keep Tommy out? No. If he makes a 15% jump in completion percentage his senior year (like Wilson did), and throws fewer picks, will his earlier performance in college keep him out? No. But he would need to do everything he does now, improve his passing, and find another level as a QB.

I don't know if it's possible. It's probably very unlikely. But I'll be rooting for him to do it. Another year with Langsdorf will surely help him, as will adding a true passer in POB as QB competition for him.

• Fire 3

He works his tail off this off season, has a tremendous senior year, and follows it up with a great combine. He gets another full year to work with a coaching staff that has a history of putting quarterbacks in the NFL, hopefully he takes advantage of that. NFL teams might be more likely to take a chance on him as a quarterback if he is willing to switch positions if it doesn't work out.

• Fire 1

I could play in the NFL if I improved my arm strength, grew 6 inches and could read NFL defenses.

TA will never play QB in the NFL. He may have a shot if he changes positions. He is fast and tough. But there is no way he can read NFL defenses and make good decisions consistently. He also struggles with high percentages passes.

See that's the thing, I'm not asking about some Joe Blow who is entirely devoid of the physical tools to play in the NFL. Like you. Or me. I'm asking about Tommy. He's clearly athletic enough. And he has a strong enough arm. He just lacks accuracy. That, and he's prone to force throws that sometimes end up in picks.

So, back to my question: If Tommy could gain some accuracy--say, Ganzesque accuracy--and throw fewer picks, would he play Sundays?

This will be a tad anecdotal, but, I've heard pro scouts and talent evaluators at the college and professional levels say accuracy is one of the most challenging things to correct, if not the most challenging. In most cases, players either have it or they don't. I don't believe you're trying to downplay the significance of accuracy at all; but, "just lacks accuracy" is monumental when it comes to describing a quarterback.

TA is a 53.7 percent career passer with a 1.6 TD/INT ratio. I think a reasonable goal for him would be to try and get his completion percentage up to around 57-59 percent by the end of his senior season.

But, this also ignores the criticism that he's not very good checking down to his other receivers, which is crucial in the NFL.

See that's the thing, I'm not asking about some Joe Blow who is entirely devoid of the physical tools to play in the NFL. Like you. Or me. I'm asking about Tommy. He's clearly athletic enough. And he has a strong enough arm. He just lacks accuracy. That, and he's prone to force throws that sometimes end up in picks.

So, back to my question: If Tommy could gain some accuracy--say, Ganzesque accuracy--and throw fewer picks, would he play Sundays?

This will be a tad anecdotal, but, I've heard pro scouts and talent evaluators at the college and professional levels say accuracy is one of the most challenging things to correct, if not the most challenging. In most cases, players either have it or they don't. I don't believe you're trying to downplay the significance of accuracy at all; but, "just lacks accuracy" is monumental when it comes to describing a quarterback.

TA is a 53.7 percent career passer with a 1.6 TD/INT ratio. I think a reasonable goal for him would be to try and get his completion percentage up to around 57-59 percent by the end of his senior season.

But, this also ignores the criticism that he's not very good checking down to his other receivers, which is crucial in the NFL.

And the criticism that he can't throw the ball out of bounds. He just is not a good decision maker in general.

• Fire 1

Ha ha! Yeah, but this is a "what if" bye week discussion.

Besides, you just never know. It's within the realm of possibility that something could click, and Tommy would raise his passing game to the next level. Hey, it could happen! :lol:

Ha ha! Yeah, but this is a "what if" bye week discussion.

Besides, you just never know. It's within the realm of possibility that something could click, and Tommy would raise his passing game to the next level. Hey, it could happen! :lol:

The good news is a lot of his receiving corp is back next year. And, even if some people may not believe it, I do think Langsdorf/Riley know what they're doing when it comes to teaching the quarterback position. I'll drink some koolaid in the hopes TA improves because I would love to see a Husker QB achieve success in the NFL. Hasn't really happened around here in a looooong time!

And the criticism that he can't throw the ball out of bounds. He just is not a good decision maker in general.

No, he doesn't make good decisions as consistently as you would like. I can see an argument for 2/3 INT's from Rutgers not necessarily being entirely on decision making - I thought the Hovey throw was a good choice with a bad throw, and I've seen the comment that the linemen who picked him off was supposed to be blocked by someone.

But, there's really no excusing the lame duck he threw up towards Stanley Morgan. Those are the kind of throws TA needs to be better than, and should be better than, by this point in his career.

Someone compared Tommy Armstrong to B.J Daniels from USF a few weeks ago which I thought was a perfect comparison. Playmaker, gunslinger, around the same size, and makes questionable decisions. Daniels got drafted in the 7th round. I see Tommy at best being a project for teams in the 6th-7th round, with some of the quarterbacks that get drafted I wouldn't doubt that he gets a shot somewhere. I see him being more of an undrafted free agent.

Also it depends on this turf toe injury. If that becomes something that will nag him for the rest of his career, then teams aren't going to touch him.

Tommy has so much upside. He can run when a play breaks down and he's got the strong arm. He can throw some ropes and he has a quick release so he can really zip it. Especially on the intermediate throws. Of course there's the flip side.

He's such an interesting player because without him we'd be really screwed. At the same time he can look and play downright terrible. Again I think he's a lot more like Taylor Martinez is/was than most people talk about.