Would Tommy play QB in the NFL if ...

NUance

Matt Vrzal, on Nick Bahe's show today said someting about Tommy I thought was very insightful:

Tommy falls in love with the rush and the sensation of the big play. You've got to work with him to try to develop that rush and value of the short to intermediate controlled route, where that is just as important to him as that 50-yard bomb or that 75-yard corner route that works out great.

https://soundcloud.com/game-time-with-nick-bahe/november-16-seg-11-matt-vrzal#t=9:31

This is something we're seeing some with Tommy, but it was also something we saw quite a bit with Taylor Martinez. I wonder if it's still a carryover from the previous offense to some extent, where that offense was more about the "big play."

Tommy Armstrong is a great athlete and should play in the NFL. But, I don't think it will ever be as a QB. Right now, he lacks the ability to stay in the pocket, do the reads and throw on time and accurately. His mechanics are bad. He throws best on the run and he is a big threat as a runner. I don't see any coach, including Farve, getting his instincts, reflexes and mechanics changed this coming summer.

Armstrong would be the perfect QB in our old option and I formation run offense. He would be a great running back, wide back or wide receiver in the pros. He does not have the experience now as a receiver but he is a solid athlete with speed.

I'm surprised so many people just dismiss this question with a simple "no". Sure, I have my doubts as to whether Tommy could improve his passing skills to equal those of Joey Ganz. (The premise is pretty unlikely.) Ganz was accurate (65%) and didn't throw too many picks over his career (18/585 or a pick out of every 32.5 passes). But if Tommy did improve his passing skills to equal those of Ganz, I can't imagine that he'd go undrafted. Seems like he'd be a shoo in to make a roster somewhere. Especially given the number of athletic QBs in the NFL these days. :dunno:

Well, if he could improve his passing skills (accuracy, decision making) to the level of Ganz then yes, I could very well see him in the NFL. His arm strength is incredible. I haven't seen a lot of guys able to run sideline to sideline like him and still throw a zinger into the end zone from 45 yards out.

I just personally don't think his chances are good. For example, If I compare him to some of the more 'athletic' QB's that have found success in the NFL in recent years, I look at guys like Kaepernick, Newton and Wilson. Their senior season stats, in terms of completion percentage and TD/INT ratio, are respectively: 64.9% & 21/8, 66.1% and 30/7 and 72.8% & 33/4. TA isn't even really close to these guys yet.

Now, I know I just compared him to some great college quarterbacks :D but I'm just referencing that's what those guys did to get to the NFL. Even Tim Tebow, who is in my opinion one of the best college quarterbacks in the last two decades, completed 67% of his passes his senior years. And that's a guy who, for the most part, was not a good NFL QB at all.

I just think TA has a very tough road ahead of him in terms of improvement.