College Football's most notable rivalries

knapplc

The Black Friday game needs to be Wisconsin as it will likely be for the division title 95% of the time. That is what made the OU series great is that there was something on the line for both teams. There will never be anything on the line against Iowa as they won't be this good again for another decade or more.

Wisconsin doesn't want us for the last game of the season.

2) Tom Osborne actually made a request to Jim Delany that the Huskers be allowed to play Iowa on Black Friday. It wasn't the Big Ten that forced this game on us.

And conference headquarters are in the Chicago suburbs, not Indianapolis :P

More often than not, I remember playing Oklahoma before Thanksgiving. A look at our schedules from the 80s suggest it happened every year except '82 and '83. OU used to play Oklahoma State after us.... one phrase I used to get really sick of hearing in those days was "OU will head to the Orange Bowl provided they can take care of Oklahoma State next week".... OSU had some good teams then but funny enough they never helped us out on that front once.

I'm pretty sure '82 was the only time Nebraska ever played Oklahoma on Black Friday before 1990. I know we played them on Thanksgiving or on the Saturday after on occasion. It was a fairly dynamic thing, and the practice of playing college games anywhere on the Friday wasn't a common thing until the 90s.

Thanks for the clarification! If you add 73, 76 and 77 to the 82 game, that's only 4 Black Fridays prior to 1990.

But a funny thing happened on the way to corporatizing College Football - when the Big XII was formed, Oklahoma chose to play their real rival after Thanksgiving - Texas, not Nebraska. The Big XII thought long and hard about who could replace Oklahoma on Black Friday, and ended up foisting Colorado off on us.

Huh? When did they play after Thanksgiving? Never, I'm pretty sure. Texas continued their game with A&M until A&M went to the SEC. We stopped playing Oklahoma every year since they were in a different division, that's why we stopped playing them after Thanksgiving. It wasn't going to be an annual game anymore.

Yeah, Texas - OU is always the 2nd Saturday in October, because it's played during the Texas State Fair. The Cotton Bowl stadium is inside the Fairgrounds in Dallas. They have never played around Thanksgiving. OU now plays Okie State on Thanksgiving weekend, usually on Saturday.

More often than not, I remember playing Oklahoma before Thanksgiving. A look at our schedules from the 80s suggest it happened every year except '82 and '83. OU used to play Oklahoma State after us.... one phrase I used to get really sick of hearing in those days was "OU will head to the Orange Bowl provided they can take care of Oklahoma State next week".... OSU had some good teams then but funny enough they never helped us out on that front once.

I'm pretty sure '82 was the only time Nebraska ever played Oklahoma on Black Friday before 1990. I know we played them on Thanksgiving or on the Saturday after on occasion. It was a fairly dynamic thing, and the practice of playing college games anywhere on the Friday wasn't a common thing until the 90s.

Thanks for the clarification! If you add 73, 76 and 77 to the 82 game, that's only 4 Black Fridays prior to 1990.

When I was growing up in the 80s, NU always played OU in the last game of the regular season on the Saturday BEFORE Thanksgiving. There was that one year where NU played CU after the OU game. I think that game was moved to Thanksgiving weekend for TV purposes.

NU didn't start having a regular Friday after Thanksgiving game until 1991. It started with OU, and then went to CU when the Big 12 was formed in 1996.

Iowa and Wisconsin are poor rivalry substitutes. The first couple years in the B1G, they had it right: PSU. THAT could have developed into a rivalry. Unfortunately, we've been sent to the purgatory of the B1G West where there are no teams that can really be Nebraska's rival. Iowa or Wisconsin need to get into the CFP a few times to really have the brand recognition that would get Husker fans' attention.

Typical Nebraska fan. WE are important, no other team is our rival because we say so. Were playing a 10-0 team this Friday, we are the team that needs to measure up to the other's standards, we have been a joke in this conference.

Oklahoma never cared about our supposed rivalry. Nice game, but Texas and only Texas is their rival.

We need to win some (big games). Michigan State was a starter. We start winning major games, beating Wisconsin on a regular basis and maybe they will consider us as a rival. Iowa is a border state, has had our number before. We beat them this Friday, it will be a rivalry game from that day forward, whether we think it is or not. The media will call it that, as they are doing currently.

you don't know arrogant fans until you meet a OU fan during a 'good year'. But when the team went south in the 1990s - many were fair weather fans.

Said someone from every fanbase about every other fanbase since college football started. Glass houses.

Fair. But Nebraska based OU fans are the worst. A lot of them junped on the praise Bob Stoops bandwagon in 2000 because they don't actually enjoy following football and listening to Husker fans rave a out it year round. So they wear Sooner gear and hope to actually avoid having to name someone on the roster who isn't the QB. No joke, more than once, I have been able to name more Sooner players than the "Sooner fan" who told me Nebraska sucks.

This goes double for Nebraska based KSU fans.

Yeah, I remember playing CU after OU that one year.... I think it was the year after they'd finally beaten us for the first time in yonks.

The other interesting quirk is how the '78 game was a week earlier than usual and we played Missouri afterward..... it's just coincidence but it's kinda funny how the one time Osborne finally beats OU, it's a week earlier than normal and then they lose the last game, almost like the football gods were only paying attention to the dates and not the opponents, lol. Does anyone know why the Oklahoma game was so early that year.

During the Big 12 years I had always hoped that the years we played OU we could have done so on Black Friday and then done CU on the off years, or at least had OU the week before. It never felt right playing them in October.

Hate is the foundation for any rivalry. Iowa hates us, and a lot of us hate them. Just because you don't see them in other parts of the state, doesn't mean Iowa is insignificant and meaningless. Iowa State hates them, and for good reason. Iowa Hawkeye fans are arrogant, mouthy, @$$holes who proudly wear their black and yellow puking buzzard when they're winning, but go into hiding when they lose.

I hope the the @$$ whoopin' we give them is extremely bitter and burns when they swallow.

• Fire 2

Hate is the foundation for any rivalry. Iowa hates us, and a lot of us hate them. Just because you don't see them in other parts of the state, doesn't mean Iowa is insignificant and meaningless. Iowa State hates them, and for good reason. Iowa Hawkeye fans are arrogant, mouthy, @$$holes who proudly wear their black and yellow puking buzzard when they're winning, but go into hiding when they lose.

I hope the the @$$ whoopin' we give them is extremely bitter and burns when they swallow.

:thumbs