***Official Iowa Game Discussion Thread***

That's on Langsdorf. Quit calling long passing plays into the wind, bottom line.

I highly doubt Langsdorf, as moronic as he is, told Tommy to go for the home run with double coverage. That is on TA and TA alone.

Agreed!
It's a bad play design. The DB no one to cover in his area so he fell back to cover the deep ball.

Langs has an 11 game sample size of stupid mistakes to choose from. Don't call plays that TA even has an option of flinging it deep. Simplify the game for the kid, and tell him do it with your legs if it isn't there.

I would like to think Langs has told him to stop forcing balls into coverage at some point(s) this season

This is what kills me the most. The staff said that they would look at film from spring and practice and design a game plan with what the kids can do. My a$$

That has been my complaint all year. Tommy's strength is not drop back passing. Having our defense play single high safeties and man coverage all game is not our strength. People were disappointed with the Riley hire, coped themselves into believing what the coach/players said in the off season, and now are upset with the player based on the bad play calling they are working under.

That's on Langsdorf. Quit calling long passing plays into the wind, bottom line.

You've got double coverage, and it's on the OC for his QB throwing into that?

How many times has Tommy done the same silly mistake all year long trying to hit a HR ball?

As a veteran QB, if the play isn't there, you gotta know to eat it and get what you can or throw it away. If you have a QB who isn't willing to do that, no matter how many times he has been coached to do so, that's simply on the QB.

But it is on the OC to bench the QB that consistently makes bad decisions.

So we can put in Ryker Fyfe? See: Purdue

Armstrong is the less of all evils, sadly. That's the state of our QB position.

And as far as your post that the coaches do not coach him better - CTFO. That's just an absurd statement to think that Langsdorf just watches Tommy make this mistakes and doesn't preach to him week after week about the same thing.

Who made Fyfe the #2 in the first place?

The play was called by Langsdorff, the throw and decision was made by Armstrong.

TA needs to either throw to another WR who isn't double coverage, or tuck it and run.

Or, if you're a decent OC, you don't call a play that will put your QB in a position to make that throw.

Yes, Tommy should have tucked and run or checked down. But that is coaching as well (or a lack thereof)--Langsdorf should address this by being the QB coach with Tommy and drill him so he makes better decisions.

Additionally, if Langsdorf pays attention to who he has under center, he doesn't call long, downfield pass plays into the wind with a QB that has a penchant for throwing INTs and that throws off his back foot (something that helps the ball hang when you're throwing into the wind).

Short passes have been working, and we need sustained drives to move down the field. We don't need home run balls every other pass attempt.

This is why Langsdorf fails--his play selection is done in spite of the flow of the game, and not because of it. He doesn't use plays to set up other plays--he just calls the long bomb over and over and expects Tecmo Bowl results, when we don't have a Tecmo Bowl QB to facilitate his playcalling. And even if we did have the pieces in place that Langsdorf wants, there isn't much there to have confidence that he'll use them effectively.

Exactly. I dont see how people can't understand its the coaches job to evaluate the talent they have and utilize the strengths. Instead we put TA in the type of play where he will almost certainly make the wrong choice

I agree with the premise of your part old, but at the same time, when TA throws i'm pretty sure Langs isn't saying go for it all this play which TA seems to enjoy. TA had other receivers but he went with the long one each time and he chose to throw into double coverage.

I highly doubt Langsdorf, as moronic as he is, told Tommy to go for the home run with double coverage. That is on TA and TA alone.
Agreed!
It's a bad play design. The DB no one to cover in his area so he fell back to cover the deep ball.
Langs has an 11 game sample size of stupid mistakes to choose from. Don't call plays that TA even has an option of flinging it deep. Simplify the game for the kid, and tell him do it with your legs if it isn't there.

I would like to think Langs has told him to stop forcing balls into coverage at some point(s) this season

This is what kills me the most. The staff said that they would look at film from spring and practice and design a game plan with what the kids can do. My a$$

That has been my complaint all year. Tommy's strength is not drop back passing. Having our defense play single high safeties and man coverage all game is not our strength. People were disappointed with the Riley hire, coped themselves into believing what the coach/players said in the off season, and now are upset with the player based on the bad play calling they are working under.

Spot on