Historically Average HC Goes 5-7

cm husker

This season directly lies on the head of Riley. He had the opportunity to assemble a top-notch staff and failed miserably. He has nobody to blame but himself for the predicament we're in. Sadly, due to his loyalty, he'll likely have the same staff next year. I figure we'll finish 7-5 and it will be said that "noted improvement" was shown and then Riley will be retained for another year. It's going to be a long, painful ride, folks.

I agree with you, but I think Eichorst deserves more of the blame. We were led to believe that NU would open the pocketbook and get a good hire. I feel like the joke is on Husker fans.

I think we could be a decade away from being in playoff talk. Makes me sad.

• Fire 1

You seriously want a QB like Hackenburg? He's terrible and has been a complete bust at Penn State.

Are you serious?
Hackenburg is a terrible disappointment. His stats thru 11 games are 2129 yards passing, 53% completion %, 14 TDs and 3 INTs. He also doesn't give any threat running the ball. Other than a lot fewer turnovers, he's about the same as Armstrong. Penn State fans aren't enamored with him at QB, and hope he turns pro.

While Hackenburg may not be a good QB, I wonder how many more games the Huskers win with 18 fewer turnovers? Even T. Frazier drove me crazy with bad interceptions.

Hackenberg might not be the best. But he's cleaner and more consistent in games with fewer turnovers. Like a lot of Big 10 QBs. Iowa, Northwestern, Michigan,etc have more level and smarter QB play than Nebraska. Then there are the other level QBs in the conference and country.

We need to expect to get better QBs then North Carolina is getting.

Whatever people say about Hackenberg, he's taking his team to a bowl.

Hackenberg might not be the best. But he's cleaner and more consistent in games with fewer turnovers. Like a lot of Big 10 QBs. Iowa, Northwestern, Michigan,etc have more level and smarter QB play than Nebraska. Then there are the other level QBs in the conference and country.

I agree with what you are saying, but I don't think Langsdorf and Riley can make a "game manager" type QB work in their offense. They need a QB who can sling it around and make plays. That type of QB isn't found very often in Big Ten play.

I agree with what you are saying, but I don't think Langsdorf and Riley can make a "game manager" type QB work in their offense. They need a QB who can sling it around and make plays. That type of QB isn't found very often in Big Ten play.

Even if they are found, the weather doesn't always cooperate

The int's dont stand on their own. QB was trying to make plays because the running game isnt good enough. Not dynamic. Not enough power. No good option game. Go ahead. Hang it on the QB who's forced to sling 25 yd outs to keep the team on schedule. Tommy Frazier didnt throw that many picks. You know why? He was throwing out of sets where if the other team didnt have eight in the box, we were taking it to the house.

Hackenburg is a terrible disappointment. His stats thru 11 games are 2129 yards passing, 53% completion %, 14 TDs and 3 INTs. He also doesn't give any threat running the ball. Other than a lot fewer turnovers, he's about the same as Armstrong. Penn State fans aren't enamored with him at QB, and hope he turns pro.

The above post is a prime example as to why one can't judge a player solely by stats.

Here, see what goes along with those stats, since I'm guessing you didn't watch many Penn State games the last couple of years, or see what Hackenberg has had in front of him for an offensive line:

"As I watched a guy named “Taco” fold Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg in half, I thought, “Man, Penn State fans should hope he leaves after this season.”

I sat up in the press box last week at Beaver Stadium as the Nittany Lions lost to Michigan and thought about how I wasn’t here for the first, or 20th, or 50th time Hackenberg was drilled for a sack, but I was present for the unthinkable 100th, and then the 101st, in three years.

I counted, then re-counted. And thought again, “my God, for his sake, I hope he leaves,” because asking a guy to stay and take a fourth year of the same beating is a terrible expectation to place on someone."

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/nittany-lines-blog/article46805710.html

Really, you need to read the whole article.

The above post is a prime example as to why one can't judge a player solely by stats.

Here, see what goes along with those stats, since I'm guessing you didn't watch many Penn State games the last couple of years, or see what Hackenberg has had in front of him for an offensive line:

"As I watched a guy named “Taco” fold Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg in half, I thought, “Man, Penn State fans should hope he leaves after this season.”

I sat up in the press box last week at Beaver Stadium as the Nittany Lions lost to Michigan and thought about how I wasn’t here for the first, or 20th, or 50th time Hackenberg was drilled for a sack, but I was present for the unthinkable 100th, and then the 101st, in three years.

I counted, then re-counted. And thought again, “my God, for his sake, I hope he leaves,” because asking a guy to stay and take a fourth year of the same beating is a terrible expectation to place on someone."

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/nittany-lines-blog/article46805710.html

Really, you need to read the whole article.

And fans blame the quarterback who qb'ed for teams that won at least 9 games in each of his previous seasons.

Who says Nebraskans don't enjoy the taste of their own?

I see your arguments get the same derision as any that tried to defend Joe Dailey in 2004. I'd like to add to your point CM, that NU won 9 games with Tommy when he was a freshman! With two years of winning 9 games under his belt, now, he suddenly is a loser? Good gawd, the historical revision by some of the so called "greatest fans" is stunning! I suggest all those Tommy Armstrong doubters go back and watch how he helped rally NU last year AT Iowa, from 24-7 down, using his arm to make critical throws. Oh wait. I forgot! According to some of the "greatest fans," that win against Iowa didn't count, as a Monkey could have achieved that.

No, a logical person would ask what is different between this year and last, and quickly conclude that a career average coach put Tommy in bad positions all year.

This is 2004 deja vu all over again, with Tommy Armstrong now in Joe Dailey's place as the scapegoat for the sorry defense of a bad coach. A coach who just took a team that finished with a winning record the previous year, and turned them into losers. Yeah, classy NU fans.

• Fire 2

And fans blame the quarterback who qb'ed for teams that won at least 9 games in each of his previous seasons.

Hey, you came out of hiding after three weeks of wins and positive vibes here, coupled with Pelini's season-ending losses and well-publicized meltdowns. You must be so relieved to get back on schedule with your Riley/Nebraska/Eichorst bashing.

Cool.

Great thread.

Just getting annoyed with the player blaming and bashing. That tends to die down when NU is winning. Now it flares up as an excuse.

FYI, I posted after MSU. Not so much during the bye week.

They were still bashing the players after the wins. At least that's how I see comments like "the players finally bought in" or "I wish the players bought in sooner". Some fans will do anything to protect Riley from any kind of criticism.

You think saying this is bashing players?

It is bashing the players. It's deflecting criticism away from Riley and putting it on the players.

I can agree with deflecting, but it is NOT player bashing... well, it isn't unless you have an agenda to push. To me all that means is there were players that were not happy with Bo... AH hah, that is the reason some call it bashing.. The Bo thing again.
What's with the bullsh#t agenda straw man you guys keep bringing up. My only agenda is for Nebraska to win more games than they lose. But when every criticism is met with "player x sucks and is to blame" or "the players didn't buy in and are to blame" takes away any accountability from Riley and to me is bashing the players. Not everything is about Bo f'ing Pelini

These players never really seemed to quit, seemed to be bought in from game 1, but we're put into positions in which they could not succeed by the coaches.

Everyone was hating on Gerry, and then bring up his ejection as a reason the defense had issues in he second half of the Iowa game.

Everyone was so high on Tommy at the beginning of the year. That he made so many improvements in mechanics due to Langsdorf. Then we lost to Illinois, on a windy day throwing the ball. We lose to Purdue passing the ball. We lose to Iowa throwing the ball. And then we say Tommy is retarded (AFhusker), that he can't throw. That he should leave the team. But anyone that suggest we shouldn't pass as much is derided. We can't run the ball 70 times a game in 2015! Our RBs suck, we can't run the ball. Our o line sucks, we can't run the ball. f'ing straw men. I don't want to abandon the pass, but the coaches sure as sh#t don't have a problem abandoning the run.

The blame for every loss is ultimately in the coaches. But to many here there is only blame on the players, so they bash them to protect Riley from criticism.

• Fire 1

They definitely could make a "game manager" work in their offense. The QB just needs to take care of the ball and make good decisions. He doesn't need to be a gunslinger or really dynamic. A QB like Kessler at USC would thrive in our system. Makes smart decisions and takes care of the ball.

I agree that having a great QB would be awesome. Cody Kessler was a huge high school and recruit and a preseason Heisman contender. I think he would do well in most offenses. Hackenburg is a big guy with a strong arm. He doesn't have a lot of talent around him, so he has struggled a lot in his career.

But, if the key to making Riley/Langsahan's offense work is having a future NFL QB then I am not sure if I like that type of offense. I would rather have an offense that can make it work with solid and smart QB's.

Hey, you came out of hiding after three weeks of wins and positive vibes here, coupled with Pelini's season-ending losses and well-publicized meltdowns. You must be so relieved to get back on schedule with your Riley/Nebraska/Eichorst bashing.

Cool.

Great thread.

Just getting annoyed with the player blaming and bashing. That tends to die down when NU is winning. Now it flares up as an excuse.

FYI, I posted after MSU. Not so much during the bye week.

They were still bashing the players after the wins. At least that's how I see comments like "the players finally bought in" or "I wish the players bought in sooner". Some fans will do anything to protect Riley from any kind of criticism.

You think saying this is bashing players?

It is bashing the players. It's deflecting criticism away from Riley and putting it on the players.

I can agree with deflecting, but it is NOT player bashing... well, it isn't unless you have an agenda to push. To me all that means is there were players that were not happy with Bo... AH hah, that is the reason some call it bashing.. The Bo thing again.
What's with the bullsh#t agenda straw man you guys keep bringing up. My only agenda is for Nebraska to win more games than they lose. But when every criticism is met with "player x sucks and is to blame" or "the players didn't buy in and are to blame" takes away any accountability from Riley and to me is bashing the players. Not everything is about Bo f'ing Pelini

These players never really seemed to quit, seemed to be bought in from game 1, but we're put into positions in which they could not succeed by the coaches.

Everyone was hating on Gerry, and then bring up his ejection as a reason the defense had issues in he second half of the Iowa game.

Everyone was so high on Tommy at the beginning of the year. That he made so many improvements in mechanics due to Langsdorf. Then we lost to Illinois, on a windy day throwing the ball. We lose to Purdue passing the ball. We lose to Iowa throwing the ball. And then we say Tommy is retarded (AFhusker), that he can't throw. That he should leave the team. But anyone that suggest we shouldn't pass as much is derided. We can't run the ball 70 times a game in 2015! Our RBs suck, we can't run the ball. Our o line sucks, we can't run the ball. f'ing straw men. I don't want to abandon the pass, but the coaches sure as sh#t don't have a problem abandoning the run.

The blame for every loss is ultimately in the coaches. But to many here there is only blame on the players, so they bash them to protect Riley from criticism.

See you are changing the scope of the argument. We were talking about the post in this thread. That is why I brought up the Bo thing, because of all of the husker sites I have lurked on I see this very thing. The Bo backers will find anything that is not glowing towards a player as player bashing.

I have zero issues will saying whatever you want about the coaches. You probably meet oppositions because of how little the coaches had coached at NU. For me it was always give them time to start coaching a game, stop bitching because of what he did, give him time then you can bitch about what he has done here.

I thought the hire was ignorant as well, but realized it didn't matter what I said, so I was willing to give him time. now that the season is over you have something to complain about and base it on actual facts from this season, as the NU coach I mean.

There is nothing wrong with calling out the players when they are not performing, and saying "they have not bought in" is not bashing anyone.. Saying a player is not performing the way they are being taught is not bashing. It is calling it like it is.