Call me old fashion

KC Sker

As a young husker fan growing up in Nebraska in the big 8, and later, the big 12 era, I cant help but feel we should have stayed put. Every year, especially after thanksgiving since joining the big 10, I always get nostalgic & think "we should be playing Colorado right now, not F'ing Iowa". Im sorry, I tried to get on board with the big 10 thing but I just cant. I cant get excited about playing Rutgers or Purdue, or some other team thats 1000 miles away...I just dont care as much. Now just utter the words "Nebraska vs Oklahoma" and I get all sorts of fired up...you do too if you've been a fan for a long time. I dont care about Michigan vs. Ohio State or any other big 10 tradition...why? because Nebraska will never be part of building that tradition. we are just add on members and always will be. In the big 12 we were a foundation team...one of the head hogs at the trough if you will. We gave that up. I wish we would go back (obviously that probably will never happen)...just my 2 cents.

Amen brother! Couldn't agree more. Used to have 5 games within driving distance of a few hours and now one. Sucks. And sad.

I don't know how the Texas refugees ended up hijacking the Big 8, but that's what happened. The writing was on the wall when Texas did away with the yearly Oklahoma-Nebraska game and kept the Red River shootout. So the "good old days" ended when we got the Southwest Conference leftovers.

It does suck having fewer games within driving distance, that's for sure.

By the way, is there still a Big 12 conference? What happened to those guys?... :devil

I hear what you're saying KC Sker, but playing Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, K-State, Colorado so many times got pretty boring too. Been there done that 75+ times (in our history). The only good feeling about it was because we dominated the series against them. For years and years and smiled at the 56-3 scores.

Swap the post thanksgiving game against CU with any of them mentioned, and the Buffaloes would have been just a regular season game - not a replacement rivalry.

I guess my point is, the Big 8/Big 12 merge should have brought better years, but didn't. We (the Huskers) spiraled downwards to a beatable team and couldn't hold up the name brand we brought into the conference.

We brought the name brand to the B1G but still haven't produced the powerhouse program we (and the conference) would have desired. It stinks unfortunately.

I like the B1G because it is refreshingly different. Give me a matchup against a 1-9 KU or 3-7 ISU and I can watch some of it while napping away from the non-exciting build up. I've seen it too many times and that is not competitive football IMO. I'm glad we've routed to the B1G, even though before coming here, it was the worst, most boring conference among them all. And no one disagreed about that for years and years and years.

Yet here we are, some wishing we could play KU every season and win by 50 because they "miss" the rivalries. No way...They just miss whipping up on a team year after year. It's a new day and it's best to just enjoy these games without looking back with fond memories of always counting on teams to beat. Today you have to earn it each weekend or be subject to humility when our team doesn't perform.

That's my take brother.

• Fire 2

I do miss Colorado the day after Thanksgiving, but that is simply because of nostalgia for me. I think the Iowa rivalry has great potential, and we could have really made that rivalry click this year by derailing their season. I just have this feeling if Nebraska was ever in the position as #4 going into the Iowa game, our luck is the Hawkeyes upset us and ruin our season.

I miss some games during some times of the year. But again all for nostalgie purposes.

I dont think we held any form of power at the conference table during the later years. As of 2002 we could no longer control the North division and the North was awful. Now we are in the B1G West, and quiet frankly, it is eerily similar to the Big 12 North division. Nebraska has a great opportunity to control this division and go to CCG's year after year, just like we expected in the Big 12 North.

• Fire 1

We were never "head hogs at the trough" in the Big 12.

how so? top programs in the big 12 were and always were, nebraska, OK, and Tex.
No. We weren't. For the latter part of our time in the conference it was Texas by a country mile, then OU, then the rest of us. We did not hold much power or authority in that conference.

so you agree with me, the head hogs always were Neb, Tex and OK. Where is texas now? bringing up the rear currently..its all cyclical.

No. Nebraska never was one. The other teams didn't give a sh#t about our rivalry and constantly voted against us. The Big Ten is far better than the Big 12 for us. Big 8 > Big 10 > Big 12

Not quiet sure why the Big12 couldnt keep a North/South rivalry consistent each year? Maybe there is a valid reason but why not have a game vs a North/South every year.

Such as;

Nebraska/Oklahoma

Iowa State/Baylor

Texas/Missouri

Colorado/Texas Tech

Kansas State/Oklahoma State

Texas A&M/Kansas

make these annual cross division rivalries each year.

I just don't feel apart of the team as much as I did growing up. No more Nebraska identity of a hard nosed crushing defense, even if we were too slow against Florida teams.

No more calling for the FB trap or counter option juuuuust when the defense begins to over pursue.

No more power I. No more wing backs. No more Pipeline. No more feeling that 2 million other CornHusker fans feel exactly like I do, win or lose.

And a part of that lost feeling began when we left the B8. Certainly by the time :01 happened in Texas it was over and done with, for me.

I actually like the B1G. First time I've watched the entire OSU/Mich game in my life last 2 years. I have a healthy dislike for Wisconsin and Iowa. Respect for MSU. Wish we could play PSU every year too. It's taken time but it's grown on me, this conference.

My heart yearns for old fashioned Nebraska football more than any conference or re-alignment or rivalry. Our unique brand of winning or losing football the way we played it is gone and I'm sad about that. I just DONT CARE about the football Callahan and Reilly have brought here (Pelini at times had a good defense). Not caring hurts more than losing. And I still care, I just don't care anymore.

• Fire 2

Not quiet sure why the Big12 couldnt keep a North/South rivalry consistent each year? Maybe there is a valid reason but why not have a game vs a North/South every year.

Such as;

Nebraska/Oklahoma

Iowa State/Baylor

Texas/Missouri

Colorado/Texas Tech

Kansas State/Oklahoma State

Texas A&M/Kansas

make these annual cross division rivalries each year.

Only one of those games was any semblance of a rivalry. Also, the rotation keeps things more balanced. Rather than one team play a perennial power year after year while another gets the annual doormat, you mix it up so everyone has identical opponents over a 12 year period. You're bending everything for the sake of one game. A compromise might have been to allow us to play Oklahoma on the off years as a non-conference game.

Ah yes. The annual obligatory "we didnt win the big ten so we shoulda stayed" thread

Kriest.

meh...not really. we wouldnt of won the big 12 either. I just think we should play teams in our own time zone and general geographical area and not leave a conference we help build because texASS has their own TV channel.

• Fire 1

As a young husker fan growing up in Nebraska in the big 8, and later, the big 12 era, I cant help but feel we should have stayed put. Every year, especially after thanksgiving since joining the big 10, I always get nostalgic & think "we should be playing Colorado right now, not F'ing Iowa". Im sorry, I tried to get on board with the big 10 thing but I just cant. I cant get excited about playing Rutgers or Purdue, or some other team thats 1000 miles away...I just dont care as much. Now just utter the words "Nebraska vs Oklahoma" and I get all sorts of fired up...you do too if you've been a fan for a long time. I dont care about Michigan vs. Ohio State or any other big 10 tradition...why? because Nebraska will never be part of building that tradition. we are just add on members and always will be. In the big 12 we were a foundation team...one of the head hogs at the trough if you will. We gave that up. I wish we would go back (obviously that probably will never happen)...just my 2 cents.

Amen brother! Couldn't agree more. Used to have 5 games within driving distance of a few hours and now one. Sucks. And sad.
Im not sure if i like the move yet or not, but more than one game within driving distance. Minny, Iowa, Illinois, Wiscy, and Northwestern.