Reading this make me....

Scratchtown

MAD!!!!

This is so dumb. I don't know why I get so upset about this but maybe it's just because I know Herman is a star. Riley is not.

Riley may win here. But he's not going to bring championships here. Just my opinion. I don't have faith in Riley. If Herman was our guy, we would instantly be a contender in the big 10.

Riley is a building process for 5 years down the road, he'll retire or get fired (fired, depending how POB works out). Grill me for making yet another thread about Riley and a lack of faith but I didn't know what else to do, and I just wanted everyone to be able to see this article.

Tom Herman is smart. Like, really smart. He’s the type of smart that’s obvious; the type of smart that comes across in pretty much everything he does and says.

This type of smart can be annoying. It can be snarky, pretentious. It’s not with Herman. He’s personable and just so damn likable that you’re okay with him making you feel insignificant because he’s that much more intelligent than you are.

I covered Herman for two years at Ohio State. He was an offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach then. His future was easy to foresee. I came away from every interview we had with him thinking, this guy is going to be a star, this guy is going to be an elite, national champion head coach one day.

http://collegespun.com/sec/georgia-sec/if-georgia-isnt-doing-everything-it-can-to-hire-tom-herman-its-making-a-mistake

• Fire 1

Herman seems to be a good coach, but no one knows how successful he would be at a bigger school where the pressure is ramped up exponentially.

It's more about bleeding staff, too.

A perfect example is Paul Johnson. He's by almost all measures a great coach, but he lost a lot of key assistants as he left guys in charge of programs that he had coached. Herman will undoubtedly go through the same kind of growing pains.

Still, I could see him being successful, because success in CFB is directly linked to being offensively dynamic (unless you're Alabama) and his offenses are dynamic.

Herman seems to be a good coach, but no one knows how successful he would be at a bigger school where the pressure is ramped up exponentially.

It's more about bleeding staff, too.

A perfect example is Paul Johnson. He's by almost all measures a great coach, but he lost a lot of key assistants as he left guys in charge of programs that he had coached. Herman will undoubtedly go through the same kind of growing pains.

Still, I could see him being successful, because success in CFB is directly linked to being offensively dynamic (unless you're Alabama) and his offenses are dynamic.

Yes, top asst. coach's are as important to a head coaches success as talent on the field.

You're mad because you think you know better than Eichorst and others.

I guess I will entertain you.

However, I guarantee that I pay more attention to the college football around the nation more so than that effing guy. Not that it matters, he's the AD and I'm not. I would just like to understand his process in the search and why he picked Mike Riley over the other good candidates out there.

How on God's green earth does Mike Riley get on a short list of candidates? Forget the well respected in the coaching realm. I bought in at the beginning and I'm still about 4% hopeful for the program to be successful and that all hinges on POB. That's it.

• Fire 3

Never will understand why people get mad when we don't hire the coach they want or miss out on a recruit. Does no good to assume someone would've been successful in a hypothetical situation where they'd come here when they don't. Never seemed like a headache worth having.

For instance, I was hoping we'd nail the pipe dream and hire Tressel. But when they announced Riley, I was over it within the day. Just moved on and focused on the positives of MR.

No matter how skilled a coach is, there's always a possibility they fail given difficult circumstances. It's a heck of a lot easier to "fail" at Nebraska than succeed given succeeding ultimately necessitates championships. I'm just going to see how it plays out for MR now that he's actually here than be frustrated we didn't go with someone else.

• Fire 2

Tom Herman built his staff from the ground up. Brought in guys who shared his vision and mentality.

Read this to get really sick. This guy gets it. Too many quotes to post, but I will leave this one....

The offense is geared around inside zone and power-O, run schemes that look to get downhill and plunge the ball through the A and B gaps. Herman will sprinkle in play action and run/pass options to punish defensive tactics for sneaking run defenders into the box. Herman looks to do less with more, emphasizing execution and mixing concepts in different formations to give his QB answers.

The guy also managed to get a 3rd string QB to 3-0. The B1G championship, the first playoff game and the MNC.....

And we'll we got .500.......

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/9/16/9329945/tom-herman-houston-cougars-football-offense-defense

• Fire 7

The guy also managed to get a 3rd string QB to 3-0. The B1G championship, the first playoff game and the MNC.....

Ha ha! Yeah, Cardale Jones was just your run of the mill third stringer. /sarcasm

I doubt if there has been another college football team with a better 3rd team QB in the last twenty years.

• Fire 1

Ha ha! Yeah, Cardale Jones was just your run of the mill third stringer. /sarcasm

I doubt if there has been another college football team with a better 3rd team QB in the last twenty years.

Look at him this year...... Just sayin

Yeah, because there was no pressure working for Urban Meyer as OC/QB coach at OSU... :facepalm:

The frickin Equipment manager at OSU probably sees more pressure on a daily basis than Bruce Read ever knew existed.