Reading this make me....

Scratchtown

You're mad because you think you know better than Eichorst and others.

I guess I will entertain you.

However, I guarantee that I pay more attention to the college football around the nation more so than that effing guy. Not that it matters, he's the AD and I'm not. I would just like to understand his process in the search and why he picked Mike Riley over the other good candidates out there.

How on God's green earth does Mike Riley get on a short list of candidates? Forget the well respected in the coaching realm. I bought in at the beginning and I'm still about 4% hopeful for the program to be successful and that all hinges on POB. That's it.

I've seen a lot of speculation about this coach or that coach that was bypassed in order to bring in Riley. Do you have any hard facts or knowledge of top notch coaches that would have come here? Not who you wanted, but known, quality coaches that confirmed they would have come here if offered. I highly doubt that Herman, or any of the other "almost saviors" would have signed on at Nebraska. Face it, Mike Riley might have been the best option we had. We deal with him for 3 or 4 years and mediocre seasons, put ourselves into a real "gotta rebuild a great program" scenario where the specter of firing a consistent 9 win coach has been tempered by those 3 or 4 mediocre years....then maybe the downside of taking this job goes away. Seriously...do you know for sure any coaches that were bypassed, that would have absolutely come here?
You must not have read my OTHER posts further along. Where I asked who were the other candidates and if there were NY others.

How am I supposed to know? That's why I think we should be able to know that after the fact at least.

I'm not sure why this is in the Nebraska football forum.

One thing I ask myself before making a topic: would it make sense to have a bunch of other topics just like it? E.g. should we have a new topic in the Nebraska football forum on every potential good coach that we want to come to Nebraska? The answer is no.

Doesn't get seen other wise. So that's why I chose what I did. I wanted people to see it and talk about it. So I couldn't care less what you think about my posting matters. No one said you have to read it. By the time it gets moved I'll have enough discussion to have gotten what I wanted out of it anyway.

You started a thread on 10/24 titled "Tom Herman". Seems to be a great spot to put all of this.

• Fire 2

However, I guarantee that I pay more attention to the college football around the nation more so than that effing guy. Not that it matters, he's the AD and I'm not. I would just like to understand his process in the search and why he picked Mike Riley over the other good candidates out there.

How on God's green earth does Mike Riley get on a short list of candidates? Forget the well respected in the coaching realm. I bought in at the beginning and I'm still about 4% hopeful for the program to be successful and that all hinges on POB. That's it.

I've seen a lot of speculation about this coach or that coach that was bypassed in order to bring in Riley. Do you have any hard facts or knowledge of top notch coaches that would have come here? Not who you wanted, but known, quality coaches that confirmed they would have come here if offered. I highly doubt that Herman, or any of the other "almost saviors" would have signed on at Nebraska. Face it, Mike Riley might have been the best option we had. We deal with him for 3 or 4 years and mediocre seasons, put ourselves into a real "gotta rebuild a great program" scenario where the specter of firing a consistent 9 win coach has been tempered by those 3 or 4 mediocre years....then maybe the downside of taking this job goes away. Seriously...do you know for sure any coaches that were bypassed, that would have absolutely come here?
You must not have read my OTHER posts further along. Where I asked who were the other candidates and if there were NY others.

How am I supposed to know? That's why I think we should be able to know that after the fact at least.

Why should you be able to know everyone that Eichorst talked to or even thought about for a potential coach? Talk about entitled...

Do you think that other coaches would even talk to EIchorst if they knew after the fact that he was going to spill the beans of everyone he talked to? How do you think that it would have went over after the Miami/Penn St/Tennessee hirings if their ADs came out and said that they talked to Pelini?

• Fire 2

The guy also managed to get a 3rd string QB to 3-0. The B1G championship, the first playoff game and the MNC.....

Ha ha! Yeah, Cardale Jones was just your run of the mill third stringer. /sarcasm

I doubt if there has been another college football team with a better 3rd team QB in the last twenty years.

It isn't like Cardale was a Jameis Winston 5* talent (0.9913) coming out of HS. He was a 247 composite 3* (0.8704). For reference, Armstrong and Stanton were 4* (0.9003 and 0.8946, respectively). By recruiting ranking alone, coming out of HS, he was a run of the mill third-stringer. Some credit is due to the OC/QB coach during his time at tOSU for his development.

Why should you be able to know everyone that Eichorst talked to or even thought about for a potential coach? Talk about entitled...

Do you think that other coaches would even talk to EIchorst if they knew after the fact that he was going to spill the beans of everyone he talked to? How do you think that it would have went over after the Miami/Penn St/Tennessee hirings if their ADs came out and said that they talked to Pelini?

Good point. Just curious cuz MR couldn't have been the top candidate. No freaking way.

If MR was the top candidate that speaks volumes about our AD. Regardless, he was a one man search committee and spent -what 4 days looking. The way this season went, we could get into a conspirator's mind set and say he was hired to bring NU down - that would be loony tunes but the hiring made that much sense. Everyone was shocked - I've never heard of one person, fan, poster, sports writer who saw this coming. A 62 year old coach wt a 500 record was not going to inspire a rebuild (The AD's word after the Purdue game). I like the guy and wish he would succeed for NU's sake but this year was a testimony to his past - 500 record + or - a game or 2 with one upset. But it doesn't encourage confidence in the future.

POB will have to be the championship recruit to turn things around. If he doesn't turn things around quickly (starting next year & 10+ wins in 2 years) than MR's fate will be sealed. Maybe just in time for Herman or Frost - to gain more HC experience and decide they are ready for a program like NU.

If only we had Scott Frost, he'd be the best head coach ever.

Remember, he is a Pac 12 guy, just like Riley

Except Frosty believes in a strong running game.

I think our coaches do to if only we had a line and running backs to do it with.
we have the running backs and o-line, we just choose to run Newby up the gut instead of having him go outside. Then when it never works, we throw it the rest of the game.

I think our coaches do to if only we had a line and running backs to do it with.
we have the running backs and o-line, we just choose to run Newby up the gut instead of having him go outside. Then when it never works, we throw it the rest of the game.

Our O-line is barely MAC quality and we do not have a running back that could start for any top 20 team.

Our O-line is barely MAC quality and we do not have a running back that could start for any top 20 team.

You're making Pelini look like Lombardi with some of your comments.