Graduated Transfer QB Thread

Heard that Trevor Knight from Oklahoma may be available. He would be a solid option.

Only if he got to play Alabama every game. Not sure he'd be any better than Tommy. He's an interception machine, and almost managed to blow Oklahoma's lead against TCU this year. Kid looks lost at the QB position since the Sugar Bowl

I am not a huge fan of the grad transfer move especially when you have a guy who has a ton of experience.

I get Tommy took a step back near the end of the season, but I still think he has to be our starter.

Instead of forcing Tommy to be a Pro-style QB, maybe Danny needs to change his playcalling a bit to take advantage of Tommy's skills.

So change Tommy's position? He's not a good qb. He doesn't even read option well. His best runs are on outside qb runs where the fb and hb lead block.

Zach Martin from Iowa Western CC considering a walk-on offer from the Huskers as well as a couple offers in Division II.

Why don't the coaches just kick Darlington and Bush to the curb, and give Martin a scholly?

Because Nebraska is not in the $EC and we made a commitment as a university on our scholarships being four years. I believe in Darlington's case it was unconditional on even ever playing. Right??

Zach Martin from Iowa Western CC considering a walk-on offer from the Huskers as well as a couple offers in Division II.

Why don't the coaches just kick Darlington and Bush to the curb, and give Martin a scholly?

Because Nebraska is not in the $EC and we made a commitment as a university on our scholarships being four years. I believe in Darlington's case it was unconditional on even ever playing. Right??

I understand that it's not the "Nebraska way", but they can be encouraged to move on. With Darlington, move him to medical hardship so he can remain on scholly, stay in school, and be a quasi-grad assistant.

Honestly, more attrition - especially at the QB position - would be the least surprising thing to happen. There are guys other than Stanton that maybe won't be able to find a fit here going forward, or maybe have just fared too poorly in competition and need that change of scenery.

And from the other side, it's clear that they need to inject some new arms into the race ASAP. As the saying goes, this is big time CFB. There are a lot of vested interests in no longer being a team with a 4-loss, circa-Top 25 ceiling. "Find out" about as many QBs (new or old) as quickly as possible and let the chips fall where they may. This means new bodies and acknowledging dead ends fast.

I am not a huge fan of the grad transfer move especially when you have a guy who has a ton of experience.

I get Tommy took a step back near the end of the season, but I still think he has to be our starter.

Instead of forcing Tommy to be a Pro-style QB, maybe Danny needs to change his playcalling a bit to take advantage of Tommy's skills.

So change Tommy's position? He's not a good qb. He doesn't even read option well. His best runs are on outside qb runs where the fb and hb lead block.

THIS^

- Just have to sell the team on the fact that Tommy is a leader just not from the QB spot.....

No offense ... but I don't see that happening. Even with the obvious skill set of TA and even with obvious running conditions ... this staff is gonna throw 60% of the time come hell or high water. WE MUST PASS TO SET UP THE RUN. This is the mantra I feel has been shoved down my throat. To complain is to miss the bigger picture. Facepalm.

It's just what they do. It's the philosophy they believe in.

Asking the coaches to run a power run system is like learning history from a math teacher. It's just not something the teacher feels comfortable with.

Within their system, though, we've seen them go run heavy when it's working and gameflow calls for it (Minny), so I don't think they're necessarily allergic to relying on the run... IF it's working.