Accountability and Consequences

C N Red

^ :D

I've really lost track of what the majority opinion (the only one we're allowing) is...

But I'd prefer threads don't devolve like this. Outside of the current meta discussion, there's some decent discussion on this here, on Riley's merits as a disciplinarian, off and maybe on the field.

And then there's a series of "I disagree; here is a salvo of mockery". I can only assume that was an attempt to raise the board's discussion level, as much as that has been a particular point of emphasis. :shrug:

Cleaning up a bunch of posts is one option, but at this point I'm fairly resigned to this particular thread's fate. Didn't think the OP was asking for it all that much, personally.

You know, I remember reading there was some discussion among the coaching staff about Lewis. I thought he deserved more than he got, but I also think he redeemed himself in the end.

If there's going to be some insinuation made that Riley isn't enough of a disciplinarian, though...I guess my response would be you haven't paid attention to the players, sometimes key ones at key moments, who have at various times this year been suspended for a violation of team rules.

Such a "pillow bite'n" response.

Lol at the people defending Riley as a disciplinarian. He allowed a team captain to publicly drop a deuce on the fanbase TWICE with barely a mumble in response.

A stick of butter left out on the dining room table is harder at the end of the Thanksgiving meal than Mike "Golly gee wilikers" Riley.

Im more concerned when the junior captain and QB left practice 30 minutes early.......

Lol at the people defending Riley as a disciplinarian. He allowed a team captain to publicly drop a deuce on the fanbase TWICE with barely a mumble in response.

A stick of butter left out on the dining room table is harder at the end of the Thanksgiving meal than Mike "Golly gee wilikers" Riley.

Im more concerned when the junior captain and QB left practice 30 minutes early.......

Eric Crouch quit the team. Nobody ever accused Solich of being soft.

Eric Crouch quit the team. Nobody ever accused Solich of being soft.

Not saying he's soft. He suspended multiple guys for multiple games. Pointing out that what Lewis did isn't as bad as walking out of practice.

IMO, it took stones to suspend as many guys as he has as poor as we have played and with such little depth.

You're taking this way, way seriouser than I am. I suggest you report my posts and leave me to my fate.

All good, no need for that. I'm done, and you're above reproach as far as I'm concerned on the board. Appreciate what you contribute 99.9% of the time, this just rubbed me the wrong way. Carry on.

Lewis seemed to be let off too easily for much of our liking, but it worked out quite well because he was a model captain and player the last half of the year. IIRC, Cav wanted him demoted and stripped of the C. Someone else (Riley?) disagreed.

Personally, I'm not concerned about the level of discipline MR is going to enforce. I'd much rather have him doing his thing than another guy keeping drug users, sexual deviants, or woman beaters on staff for extended periods of time. That right there should hint that zero damns were given under the previous regime about accountability. Riley is fixing that.

Iowa's undefeated, outplayed us, and deserve our respect. On the other hand, TA basically had his worst game ever (we all know he's a poor fit for this offense, don't we?), and Iowa's season is an anomaly. Guarantee they'll have 4+ losses again next year. Take it to the bank.

Iowa's best player was suspended for the 1st quarter against us. Why?? For missing a team meeting.

This is how you have to control a team. You have to set expectations on everything. If kids don't meet them they have consequences for their actions. It brings a team closer together. They eventually start holding each other accountable which is how it needs to be. The coach has to set the example, show the consequences, and demand accountability. This will eventually leak into the team and the players will start to take responsibility. Then you have yourself a team.

Riley had a chance to set this in motion early on with Alex Lewis. Sit him down for his actions, hold him accountable, and show the team that no one is above accountability and actions will have consequences. This is what can promote true leadership.

Things like this is what makes a team like Iowa better than us.

Many things to question Riley on. Disciplinary action isn't one of them.

So you think coaches are holding our players accountable and responsible enough for play on the field too?
We're not talking about on the field
Im talking about everything. On, off, and in between.

Do you really believe how things handled off the field and vice versa dont have an effect on overall team accountability? If you're name is correct and you really are a coach, you cannot believe it doesnt?

I think sitting Lewis for a quarter or two could have been huge for the team attitude. So Riley suspended some guys during the year but i still havent seen a name. Nobody remembers. But if Lewis would have been it would have. It was huge in the public eye and could have been a trend setter for discipline and accountability across the board. The guys would have sat up and taken notice. I'd say if asked it would look like a slap on the wrist to them.

I wouldn't have punished Lewis either, and I think it's clear I'm not a big Riley supporter. Yes these players are getting a free education but they also put in a tremendous amount of time and emotion into what they do. He got caught up in that and popped off, Riley talked to him about it end of story.

sh#t if you want to really extrapolate this line of thought, did the punishment of Lawrence Phillips fit the crime? Was TO too soft?

Mark Richt will fix that when he's named co-Head Coach. Don't worry.

I agree with knappic. This is a problem and it does need fixing. However, I don't think Richt is coming. So I am at a loss as to who the Huskers can get to handle it.

(Just remember, you started it... :leghump: )

I think this co-head coach thing has confused some people. He is going to be co-head coach, but not in the typical sense. He is going to be HC at both Miama and Nebraska, hence co-head coach.

Iowa's best player was suspended for the 1st quarter against us. Why?? For missing a team meeting.

This is how you have to control a team. You have to set expectations on everything. If kids don't meet them they have consequences for their actions. It brings a team closer together. They eventually start holding each other accountable which is how it needs to be. The coach has to set the example, show the consequences, and demand accountability. This will eventually leak into the team and the players will start to take responsibility. Then you have yourself a team.

Riley had a chance to set this in motion early on with Alex Lewis. Sit him down for his actions, hold him accountable, and show the team that no one is above accountability and actions will have consequences. This is what can promote true leadership.

Things like this is what makes a team like Iowa better than us.

Many things to question Riley on. Disciplinary action isn't one of them.
So you think coaches are holding our players accountable and responsible enough for play on the field too?
We're not talking about on the field
Im talking about everything. On, off, and in between.

Do you really believe how things handled off the field and vice versa dont have an effect on overall team accountability? If you're name is correct and you really are a coach, you cannot believe it doesnt?

I think sitting Lewis for a quarter or two could have been huge for the team attitude. So Riley suspended some guys during the year but i still havent seen a name. Nobody remembers. But if Lewis would have been it would have. It was huge in the public eye and could have been a trend setter for discipline and accountability across the board. The guys would have sat up and taken notice. I'd say if asked it would look like a slap on the wrist to them.

Really? Rose-Ivey, Johnathan Rose and Ceathan Carter were all suspented for the BYU game and two other guys I don't remember who, you are right on that point. Carter was also suspended for the next game. Johnathan Rose was suspended for 2 more games later in the year.

Lewis's misstep in the social media relm bothers a lot of fans, not me personally, but not really something I would suspend someone for. I would maybe make him run stadium steps until he puked though. I am sure some sort of punitive thing like this took place with him.