Big Ten is blocking the Big 12's championship game effort

NUance

The Big Ten is blocking the Big 12's championship game effort,
could spark new conference realignment
By Kevin Trahan  @k_trahan on Dec 6, 2015, 7:43p
The Big 12 has been hoping to get championship game rules deregulated, allowing it to add a championship game even with only 10 members and no divisions. However, thanks to a last-minute amendment filed by the Big Ten, the deregulation effort could fail, as commissioner Bob Bowlsby told ESPN.

Ooooh, the gloves come off.

:lol:

• Fire 2

This was kind of tricky to understand. They do want a conference championship game, but they don't want divisions (5 teams) and they don't want to add teams. Did I get that right?

Why not just add Rice and Texas State. I mean the conference still believes it's all about Texas and OU for the most part. That way they can add a few more teams that won't get in the way, create a division, and have at it (CCG). I think having the divisions is a must for a CCG, which they don't want to do.

I'm SO glad we left.

Not a perfect fit but go to 12 teams like this (new added teams in bold) or 14 teams like this (new teams added in bold italics):

North:

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Kansas

Kansas State

Iowa State

BYU (expand to 12)

Boise State (expand to 14)

South:

Texas

TCU

Baylor

Texas Tech

West Virginia

Houston (expand to 12)

Memphis (expand to 14)

West Virginia is odd geographically, would they ever go somewhere else?

Houston is a logical choice but adds almost no extra regional coverage. Memphis is a hot name this year plus basketball, but lets be realistic on what the real benefits of adding them would be. Rice, Texas State, SMU, UTEP, North Texas, UTSA would all be the worst kind of filler. BYU has become an eye sore since they don't get along with anyone, but would be a good fit if the religious aspect wasn't a huge issue. Boise could be on a downslide.

I vote we harvest KU and OU to the Big Ten and let the Big 12 go into panic mode.

• Fire 2

This was kind of tricky to understand. They do want a conference championship game, but they don't want divisions (5 teams) and they don't want to add teams. Did I get that right?

Why not just add Rice and Texas State. I mean the conference still believes it's all about Texas and OU for the most part. That way they can add a few more teams that won't get in the way, create a division, and have at it (CCG). I think having the divisions is a must for a CCG, which they don't want to do.

I'm SO glad we left.

20% more money

Let's say the conference gets $120 million.

Ten teams = $12 million each

Twelve teams = $10 million each