P5 CFB Jobs Ranked by Ease of Recruiting

Mavric

The following five factors were weighed by our experts on a scale of 1 (worst) to 5 (best). Max total points per team were 25. Within the 1-65 rankings, ties among teams with equal points were broken by a panel vote of RecruitingNation experts:

1. Favorable geography/local recruiting territory.
2. Recruiting/football budget. Sources of data were most current available information, including the data collected HERE and HERE, and original research by ESPN's recruiting reporters and team of scouts.
3. Facilities to attract recruits.
4. Next-level considerations. NFL alumni and identifiable pro prospects who provide evidence to recruits that they can play at the next level.
5. Other intangibles including but not limited to winning tradition, game-day experience and academic considerations. (Example: Schools with a positive tradition to sell to recruits could receive a "5" in this category, schools with academic restrictions that represent a hurdle in recruiting could get a "1." If there were no discernible positive or negative intangibles, panelists were instructed to give a "3" in this category.)

38. Nebraska Cornhuskers

The Cornhuskers don't have much local talent and have to go farther than their Big Ten competition for players -- but they spend the money it takes to compete on the trail. That said, Nebraska has signed just one ESPN 300 player since 2010, and current recruits are aware that most of the program's title-winning tradition dates to before they were born.

Link

• Fire 1

The following five factors were weighed by our experts on a scale of 1 (worst) to 5 (best). Max total points per team were 25. Within the 1-65 rankings, ties among teams with equal points were broken by a panel vote of RecruitingNation experts:

2. Recruiting/football budget. Sources of data were most current available information, including the data collected HERE and HERE, and original research by ESPN's recruiting reporters and team of scouts.
4. Next-level considerations. NFL alumni and identifiable pro prospects who provide evidence to recruits that they can play at the next level.
5. Other intangibles including but not limited to winning tradition, game-day experience and academic considerations. (Example: Schools with a positive tradition to sell to recruits could receive a "5" in this category, schools with academic restrictions that represent a hurdle in recruiting could get a "1." If there were no discernible positive or negative intangibles, panelists were instructed to give a "3" in this category.)

38. Nebraska Cornhuskers

The Cornhuskers don't have much local talent and have to go farther than their Big Ten competition for players -- but they spend the money it takes to compete on the trail. That said, Nebraska has signed just one ESPN 300 player since 2010, and current recruits are aware that most of the program's title-winning tradition dates to before they were born.

Link

I'd love to make fun of Nebraska's recruiting, but we signed 3 ESPN 300 players last year alone (Barnett, S. Morgan and Eric Lee). Not sure where they got the 'one ESPN 300 player since 2010' bit.

• Fire 2

38. Nebraska Cornhuskers

Link

I'd love to make fun of Nebraska's recruiting, but we signed 3 ESPN 300 players last year alone (Barnett, S. Morgan and Eric Lee). Not sure where they got the 'one ESPN 300 player since 2010' bit.

Maybe an Iowa fan writer :dunno

Anyway, I know we have signed more than one for sure because I followed ESPN really closely. We also got a lot of Juco top 100 players as well in recruiting classes. It is definitely more than one and POB is a top 300 right know I am pretty sure.

Hard to argue with the actual ranking, though I think it should be tiered rather than a numerical line up (kind of like how I wish they'd rank recruiting classes, too).

At 38, as I've said, NU's recruiting is going to be pretty consistent across almost all coaches.

For Nebraska (and every team not in SoCal, Texas and parts of the SEC and ACC), success is going to be determined by superior coaching (i.e., scheme).

• Fire 1

A definitive scheme or system would help tremendously. The biggest thing is winning. Winning conference championships, beating ranked teams and getting into major bowls. That sells kids. If a kid has a chance to go to a top tier school (not stand, but winning) that kid will generally (IMO) go to a wining program.

Actually playing kids on the roster helps i.e. sub on the OL for example. Or the RB rotation as an example. Here today and gone tomorrow. If I was a legit RB, I would be hard pressed to choose NU after the mismanagement this season.

• Fire 2

Coaching, Coaching, and more Coaching with the right coaches wins games and will help recruiting. I don't know if we have the right staff, time will tell. Their track records says no, but lets see if coaching with the tradition and fan base at Neb, helps these coaches maybe get players they couldn't at Ore St.

GBR!!!

NU got a total score of 26. Seems too low to me.

Favorable Geography/Recruiting Territory: 2 (agree here)

Recruiting/Football Budget: 4 (seems reasonable)

Facilities to Attract Recruits: 4 (should be a 5 IMO)

Next Level Considerations: 3 (should be at least a 4 - Suh and David are the best at their positions in the NFL)

Other Intangibles: 3 (should be at least a 4 here based on the criteria above. winning tradition? check. game-day experience? check. academic support? check)

This insider article breaks down why we got the scores we did -> http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/on-the-trail/insider/post?id=73856

• Fire 2

The coaches who got Suh and David to that level aren't here anymore. The track record of the current staff is spotty and predictions of future success are basically based on hope.

The game experience at NU is unique in how fans act, but not unique compared to or even on par with other major programs.

One can quibble a point here or there, but overall, NU is bottom second tier when it comes to recruiting attractiveness.

Really, though, the factors should be weighted, with geography being twice as important as each other factor.

The coaches who got Suh and David to that level aren't here anymore. The track record of the current staff is spotty and predictions of future success are basically based on hope.

The game experience at NU is unique in how fans act, but not unique compared to or even on par with other major programs.

One can quibble a point here or there, but overall, NU is bottom second tier when it comes to recruiting attractiveness.

Really, though, the factors should be weighted, with geography being twice as important as each other factor.

For the pro players, that criteria is not mentioned. And shouldn't Wisconsin get docked because Beilema was good at getting guys to the NFL and he isn't there? They mention Russell Wilson in their blurb about Wisconsin's NFL players.

For game experience, yes, Nebraska is above a lot of major programs, just due to their always being a full house. Hell, Florida couldn't even sell out games over the later half of the year when they were ranked in the top 10. Michigan last year had "the buy a coke get a free ticket" promotion last year to get people in the stands.

And yes, I am not arguing that Nebraska is a great place to recruit to. I just think the system they are using is very, very arbitrary when reading the explanations for different schools. I mean they gave Maryland a 4 for "Other Intangibles" and Nebraska a 3. C'mon.

For the pro players, that criteria is not mentioned. And shouldn't Wisconsin get docked because Beilema was good at getting guys to the NFL and he isn't there? They mention Russell Wilson in their blurb about Wisconsin's NFL players.

For game experience, yes, Nebraska is above a lot of major programs, just due to their always being a full house. Hell, Florida couldn't even sell out games over the later half of the year when they were ranked in the top 10. Michigan last year had "the buy a coke get a free ticket" promotion last year to get people in the stands.

And yes, I am not arguing that Nebraska is a great place to recruit to. I just think the system they are using is very, very arbitrary when reading the explanations for different schools. I mean they gave Maryland a 4 for "Other Intangibles" and Nebraska a 3. C'mon.

I agree it's arbitrary, especially around "intangibles."

If they are going to weigh the factors, I believe the one that should be twice as important as the other factors would be next level considerations. If I'm a 5* recruit, college is really nothing more than a speed bump along the way to the NFL. I'd be looking at tendencies of each program to get the position I play to the NFL and which program turns out players at that said position into the most successful NFL players. Considering the lack of success Bama' RBs tend to have in the NFL, I'd probably shy away from Bama if I'm a RB.

Iowa's starters this season compared to Nebraska's (state wise):

Hawkeyes

Iowa - 7

Illinois - 3

Nebraska - 2

Ohio - 2

Maryland - 2

Connecticut, South Dakota, Texas, Tennessee, Florida, Michigan - 1

3 :star :star :star :star

Huskers

Nebraska - 6

Illinois - 2

Louisiana - 2

Arizona - 2

Texas - 2

California, Nevada, Ohio, Missouri, Maryland, Florida, South Dakota, Mississippi - 1

9 :star:star:star:star

• Fire 1