Terrell Newby

Mavric

Nobody worked harder to make himself better than Ameer Abdullah. He took absolutely nothing for granted.

He was told he was too small to play running back in D1 (much less the NFL) so he abandoned his dream of playing in his home state of Alabama when Nebraska gave him the chance to prove himself at RB.

I do think Nebraska is at a recruiting disadvantage, so we need to be grabbing these diamond in the rough guys and creating a culture where a player willing to work his ass off can be a hero to an entire state, and hear 90,000 fans cheering for him.

You don't get that everywhere. So that should be our thing.

Nobody worked harder to make himself better than Ameer Abdullah. He took absolutely nothing for granted.

He was told he was too small to play running back in D1 (much less the NFL) so he abandoned his dream of playing in his home state of Alabama when Nebraska gave him the chance to prove himself at RB.

I do think Nebraska is at a recruiting disadvantage, so we need to be grabbing these diamond in the rough guys and creating a culture where a player willing to work his ass off can be a hero to an entire state, and hear 90,000 fans cheering for him.

This^ So much this. I think that kids who do not attend NU can not fully grasp Nebraska football. It is the only game in town, the identity of a state and a nation wide fan base.

65k+ at the spring game, longest sell out streak in the nation, fans cheering the recruits when they show up on visits..... Only at Nebraska.

This^ So much this. I think that kids who do not attend NU can not fully grasp Nebraska football. It is the only game in town, the identity of a state and a nation wide fan base.

65k+ at the spring game, longest sell out streak in the nation, fans cheering the recruits when they show up on visits..... Only at Nebraska.

Not meant to be critical of anyone here, but a well designed and executed running play is almost full contact ballet. Wisconsin the last couple of years, Nebraska of old, Sooners in the Wishbone... :thumbs

I didn't see too many mind blowing running plays this season, but we'll see what comes as Riley gets his sea legs under him.

• Fire 1

Not meant to be critical of anyone here, but a well designed and executed running play is almost full contact ballet. Wisconsin the last couple of years, Nebraska of old, Sooners in the Wishbone... :thumbs

I didn't see too many mind blowing running plays this season, but we'll see what comes as Riley gets his sea legs under him.

Nice description.

I saw a few running plays I really liked, and most of them had Janovich's name attached.

Agreed!

A quick fullback dive or a trap play isn't very sexy or glamorous but it can sure blow up a defense. With a good fullback running either, there better be a good tackler standing right in his path or it everybody is taking an angle an hoping they can catch up.

1994 Miami's Warren Sapp doesn't underestimate a fullback through the line...now...

We had a great string of backs.....Helu, Burkhead, Abdullah. So, while some may say T Newby ain't that great........maybe it's the change in coaching that ain't that great......?

Yeah, that's gotta be it!

Or maybe it's after being spoiled for 3 straight great running backs that the next guy isn't quite as good and we are in the midst of a coaching change.

But no, it has to be Riley and his awful coaching. God your act is tired.

Why is it always "spoiled"? It is the coaches job to get the best players, If they are not doing that it isn't called "spoiled" to recognize that!

Running the ball needs the best!

Bill Callahan and his staff showed they could recruit here so I think the whole idea that we're at a disadvantage is something that is overstated quite a bit. IMO our disadvantage is not based on geography alone but because Nebraska is not the household name it used to be.

Riley is onto something perhaps by sticking with his 500 mile radius recruiting territory. I agree Nebraska has to get blue collared athletes who bring their lunch pail every day. They can do this by grabbing the best players in the Midwest year in and year out and pluck a few players who fly under the radar like Abdullah did.

Roy Helu is a better example (one of my favorite Huskers) He wasn't heavily recruited and was a 2-star athlete coming out of HS but Nebraska offered and the kid worked his tail off to earn the job. We need guys who will bust their rear ends to get playing time. Competition and challenges improves the entire roster.

Bill Callahan and his staff showed they could recruit here so I think the whole idea that we're at a disadvantage is something that is overstated quite a bit. IMO our disadvantage is not based on geography alone but because Nebraska is not the household name it used to be.

Riley is onto something perhaps by sticking with his 500 mile radius recruiting territory. I agree Nebraska has to get blue collared athletes who bring their lunch pail every day. They can do this by grabbing the best players in the Midwest year in and year out and pluck a few players who fly under the radar like Abdullah did.

Roy Helu is a better example (one of my favorite Huskers) He wasn't heavily recruited and was a 2-star athlete coming out of HS but Nebraska offered and the kid worked his tail off to earn the job. We need guys who will bust their rear ends to get playing time. Competition and challenges improves the entire roster.

Oh I think we can get good players here, and I think the Husker legacy still has some lingering pull (even if it's with the player's dad) but there's going to be a tendency for today's marquee recruits to go to today's marquee programs and/or the closer, possibly warmer university, especially all the sun belt recruits.

Some will be superstars but a lot of the 4 and 5 stars will be busts. Especially the natural athletes for whom everything came easy, who don't make the psychological adjustment when things don't go their way. Maybe for the first time in their lives.

There's a world of hard working, under the radar guys out there (Helu another great example, pulled from San Francisco City College) but you gotta have a network of high school coaches and scouts tipping you off.

The advantage of our famously run-oriented offense was that we made offensive linemen stars and gave dual threat high school QBs the chance to stay at quarterback when other schools wanted to convert them to DB, RB and WR. But the dual threat QB isn't a novelty anymore, and they really need to hold up the passing end of the threat these days.

But I think if you make a conscious effort to recruit the biggest, smartest, baddest ass offensive linemen in the country -- treat THEM like superstars -- then every QB and RB will want to line up behind them.

That '09 team, particularly the defense, was one of the most "talented" teams to play for Nebraska in the last 15 years and they were almost entirely Callahan recruits, and he was still putting together a very talented group in '07 before his firing.

Regardless, given the climate of moving posts to the tangent thread, perhaps it's best to stop this conversation about recruiting now.