Terrell Newby

Mavric

We had a great string of backs.....Helu, Burkhead, Abdullah. So, while some may say T Newby ain't that great........maybe it's the change in coaching that ain't that great......?

Yeah, that's gotta be it!

Or maybe it's after being spoiled for 3 straight great running backs that the next guy isn't quite as good and we are in the midst of a coaching change.

But no, it has to be Riley and his awful coaching. God your act is tired.

Backs under RB or now? AA spoke highly of Newby. When Newby was coached by Brown...... If some of the new staff are additions, then one must also see the possibility that some are subtractions....

That's not the reasoning behind his post. It's simply to piss all over thr staff again.

I don't think you need to be posting what my, or anyone else's reasoning is.

We had a string of success at the position, then SUDDENLY it's not there. IRONICALLY it was during a coaching change and our running game has received criticism all year long. Perhaps......and note the word PERHAPS......the coaching "might" have something to do with it.

No sh#t? The new staff runs a pro style so the run game takes a backseat. I prefer a run heavy offense, but that will not be us moving forward. It sucks, get over it.

t

Agree 100% that far too many run calls are for our smaller speedy back to jam it straight ahead. We should be using Newby on pitches and stretches where he is more capable of turning 2 yard gains into 10 yard gains.

He does not have good vision or decision making to be our #1 option.

Weird that he is our #1 then huh?

That would be Cross, glad I could help you out.

Let me know how many games Cross starts for us next year.

About as many as Newby. Ozigbo will be the workhorse next fall.

t

Agree 100% that far too many run calls are for our smaller speedy back to jam it straight ahead. We should be using Newby on pitches and stretches where he is more capable of turning 2 yard gains into 10 yard gains.

He does not have good vision or decision making to be our #1 option.

Weird that he is our #1 then huh?

That would be Cross, glad I could help you out.

Let me know how many games Cross starts for us next year.

About as many as Newby. Ozigbo will be the workhorse next fall.

You hope

We had a great string of backs.....Helu, Burkhead, Abdullah. So, while some may say T Newby ain't that great........maybe it's the change in coaching that ain't that great......?

Yeah, that's gotta be it!

Or maybe it's after being spoiled for 3 straight great running backs that the next guy isn't quite as good and we are in the midst of a coaching change.

But no, it has to be Riley and his awful coaching. God your act is tired.

Backs under RB or now? AA spoke highly of Newby. When Newby was coached by Brown...... If some of the new staff are additions, then one must also see the possibility that some are subtractions....
That's not the reasoning behind his post. It's simply to piss all over thr staff again.

I don't think you need to be posting what my, or anyone else's reasoning is.

We had a string of success at the position, then SUDDENLY it's not there. IRONICALLY it was during a coaching change and our running game has received criticism all year long. Perhaps......and note the word PERHAPS......the coaching "might" have something to do with it.

Newby had 1 less rushing yard in his sophomore year than he did his freshman year, despite have 13 more carries. He wasn't that great under the previous staff, either.
  • Fire 2

I think that at this time and for the last 12 months Newby was given enough carries to make a difference. It speaks volumes that when he was not in the game I did not hear any commentary regarding how he will be missed. This could be because the depth is great thus no drop off (as in past years) but unfortunately that was not the case this year. This is the first time in many years that the staff and QB has not had an obvious NFL caliber running back to help take the pressure off.

• Fire 1

Sucks that they don't have the location for road games.

Of the seven home games:

61 runs up the middle for 215 yards, 3.5 ypc

20 runs off tackle for 100 yards, 5.0 ypc
20 runs outside for 160 yards, 8.0 ypc
So over 60% of the time, we asked our speed back to run right up the middle. My perception of only letting him run to the outside about 20% of the time seems pretty accurate.
I'm not saying we should never run inside. I'm not even say we should never use Newby to run inside. But it doesn't seem like we're putting our players in a great position to succeed when we're using them like this.
And I don't think it's possible to really make a bunch of judgments about players when they're not being put in a position to use their strengths as often as they should be.

Nice work compiling these stats.

Gives a bit of backing to my own observation that we usually ran up the middle on first down and threw on second. The last few games the play calling deviated from that pattern, but before that it seemed like an opposing D knew the play call.

In regards to Newby's decision making, I posted something a couple of months ago that is still applicable to why I think he struggles to make his reads.

The play in question happens at 32:10 in the following video.

The explanation (slightly adjusted) from my post follows. This was written in late September, for context.

It really just comes down to decision-making. For example, in the still frame that people are talking about a few posts up (the play is at 32:10 in the video if anyone is interested), it looks like Newby simply missed his cut. From my view point, if you watch the play develop, Reeves brings his defender to the ground while Gates/Kondolo are forcing their defenders to the sideline.

Instead of cutting up the field to behind the blocks of Gates/Kondolo, he continues to try and extend the play outside. The problem, however, is the defender on Hovey has beat Hovey and has contain. Newby sees this too late and gets tackled. The line did a pretty good job on this play from my perspective.

Now, I realize my example does show him running more sideline to sideline like (a poster in the the other thread) mentioned. That's certainly part of his issue I believe. But, I think the umbrella concern here is he doesn't make great decisions and his vision is a little questionable.

• Fire 1

If Newby has more than 10 yards after contact on the year, I'll be shocked. He constantly runs into defenders and then immediately falls down. He has so vision or instincts at all. Honestly, he looks like a very fit student who won a contest and got a chance to play running back for Nebraska for a couple plays. I mean, FFS, he was not just the feature back, but the near exclusive back for most of the season but has only ~700 yards. When was the last time that happened?

The idea he got better as the year went on is laughable. By year end, he was so damn sorry that even these head-in-the-sand coaches started Cross (Cross!) over him.

The very fact this thread exists is a testament to how bad he is. It's like, "I know he looked like ass and is widely denigrated by the fan base, but when you crunch the numbers and account for air temp, wind speed, the dew point, and the age of Aquarius, he's actually quite average."

He's Marlon Lucky minus all the passing yards at best.

In regards to Newby's decision making, I posted something a couple of months ago that is still applicable to why I think he struggles to make his reads.

The play in question happens at 32:10 in the following video.

The explanation (slightly adjusted) from my post follows. This was written in late September, for context.

It really just comes down to decision-making. For example, in the still frame that people are talking about a few posts up (the play is at 32:10 in the video if anyone is interested), it looks like Newby simply missed his cut. From my view point, if you watch the play develop, Reeves brings his defender to the ground while Gates/Kondolo are forcing their defenders to the sideline.

Instead of cutting up the field to behind the blocks of Gates/Kondolo, he continues to try and extend the play outside. The problem, however, is the defender on Hovey has beat Hovey and has contain. Newby sees this too late and gets tackled. The line did a pretty good job on this play from my perspective.

Now, I realize my example does show him running more sideline to sideline like (a poster in the the other thread) mentioned. That's certainly part of his issue I believe. But, I think the umbrella concern here is he doesn't make great decisions and his vision is a little questionable.

Thats a great example of what I have seen all season. No vision and has limited to no ability to break a tackle or make a defender miss. I will agree that he has "X" number of yards/carry, but those have come on wide open runs. Not on his breaking tackles, making defenders miss or after contact.

His "other" TD run against Minnesota showed pretty good vision. He didn't exactly break a couple tackles but he did avoid a couple guys who at least got a piece of him. 51:00 in this video

I agree with you on the above clip from Southern Miss. But that was early in the year where he was trying to bounce everything. He got better at that as the year went on. And I still say a lot of the reason he doesn't look really good is because 60% of the time (at least) he really doesn't get any chance to show what he can do.

• Fire 2

I think he has terrible vision. Which in turn leads to indecisiveness. Just my opinion. I think the measurables are there. I think the talent is there. Vision is hard to quantify sometimes at the high school level when youre just that much better than everyone or are running behind a line that is just dominant. Look at some of Alabamas rbs. Great lines, just hit the hole and go. The special backs hit that hole then make the second and third levels miss.

I don't think he has terrible vision. I think - especially early in the year - he was always trying to bounce it outside. Improved quite a bit on that as the year went on.

His running in the Iowa game was awful. It was like he was seeking out the tackler.

I was at the game which isn't the best place to see plays develop and the replays suck. And I haven't rewatched it.

But six of his nine carries were up the middle against a pretty good run defense. That's not giving him a lot of chance to do anything.

So Newby's six carries are at the 11:35, 12:05, 23:40, 56:50, 59:55, 1:01:50, 1:30:30, 1:34:20 and 1:41:35 marks of the following video. I guess you'll have to explain to me which runs he was "awful" on. I don't see any where he didn't get basically what he could have gotten on the given play.

Ok, I went through those runs, and he may not have been "awful", but he really wasn't very good. Here is what I saw on each run.

#1--not great blocking, but Newby still runs up against the back of the blocker. Shows a lack of patience,

#2--good run, at getting what was there, but he missed a cut to the right where he could have make a very good gain.

#3--decent run as he bounces it outside, but he allows the safety to make a 1-on-1 tackle in the open field. I know that the Iowa safety is really good, but sometimes the RB has to make a guy miss. Newby's strength is supposed to be in the open field, but he didn't show it there.

#4--This is the play that was stuck in my mind when I said Newby had an "awful" game. There were a couple of lanes where Newby should have planted the right foot and gone upfield. This play had holes to get 5-7 yards. Newby tries to bounce it outside, comes to a stop at the 10, and allows the safety to make another 1-on-1 tackle. I was on Twitter during the game, and I saw a lot of "Newby again turns a 5-yard gain into a 2 yard gain" Tweets.

#5--Play wasn't very well blocked, but Newby wasn't very decisive

#6--This was a VERY GOOD run. He had an open hole at the beginning, and then made a strong, decisive cut to go upfield and make a good gain.

#7--Ran straight forward into the pile. Wasn't much there overall though.

#8--Not much there on the play

#9--Got what he could on the play, when there wasn't much there.

So, I was probably a little harsh in saying that he was "awful" against Iowa. Run #4 was the play that I always think about when I picture Newby. There were times where the o-line didn't make a hole against a good run defense. Newby made a couple good plays, but he also could have gotten more out of plays if he breaks a tackle or is more decisive in his running.

I know that Newby is facing good defensive talent in the Big 10, but if he is supposed to be an elite RB, he needs to get better breaking tackles, making decisive cuts, and making defenders miss in the open field.