Terrell Newby

Mavric

Just think he's an average back. He doesn't break tackles, misses holes, and hasn't shown anything extraordinary. Guys like Rex and Ameer made up for the lack of a good OL and made plays out of nothing. I haven't seen that out of any of our backs this year.

This. He is an average back. NU is used to having superior/special running backs, going back deep in history.

It's frustrating that the coaches didn't do a better job of getting other backs REGULARLY involved in the running game. Joe Ganz was very critical of the coaching staff this week for not creating ways to use guys like Wilbon and Taylor in the running game. The coaches are paid a lot of money to figure those things out, and they didn't get it done.

Just think he's an average back. He doesn't break tackles, misses holes, and hasn't shown anything extraordinary. Guys like Rex and Ameer made up for the lack of a good OL and made plays out of nothing. I haven't seen that out of any of our backs this year.

This. He is an average back. NU is used to having superior/special running backs, going back deep in history.

It's frustrating that the coaches didn't do a better job of getting other backs REGULARLY involved in the running game. Joe Ganz was very critical of the coaching staff this week for not creating ways to use guys like Wilbon and Taylor in the running game. The coaches are paid a lot of money to figure those things out, and they didn't get it done.

I appreciate Ganz' perspective because really this has been the story all year - not getting guys involved, particularly in the run game. But, I disagree that this falls back on guys like Taylor and Wilbon seeing touches. Wilbon has played in four games this season and if Taylor has played I don't readily remember it. What about Jano and Ozigbo? Those guys have have a 6.5 and 7.2 YPC average, respectively.

The team's recipe for success this year has been when they've run the football well and limited TA to about 30 passes.

Early in the year it was suggested that Newby could be better if allowed enough playing time to find a rhythm. I think he was allowed that, showed a small improvement IMO, but still disappointed. I would like to see Wilbon or Ozigbo get a real shot to see what they can do. I think we have see a few glimpses that suggest there may be some promise, but I would like to see a enough playing time to let them get into a rhythm. While I understand effective blocking from a back is important to the overall game and the concepts Riley is trying install, I still wish that could be set aside for a bit and just see what they can do RUNNING the ball.

I appreciate Ganz' perspective because really this has been the story all year - not getting guys involved, particularly in the run game. But, I disagree that this falls back on guys like Taylor and Wilbon seeing touches. Wilbon has played in four games this season and if Taylor has played I don't readily remember it. What about Jano and Ozigbo? Those guys have have a 6.5 and 7.2 YPC average, respectively.

The team's recipe for success this year has been when they've run the football well and limited TA to about 30 passes.

Yeah, and Ozigbo should have gotten more touches than he did. He was on a milk carton for a number of games after seeing extensive action in the Illinois game.

I agree that that was the recipe for success, but the coaches didn't stick to that recipe for a number of the games.

I think he has terrible vision. Which in turn leads to indecisiveness. Just my opinion. I think the measurables are there. I think the talent is there. Vision is hard to quantify sometimes at the high school level when youre just that much better than everyone or are running behind a line that is just dominant. Look at some of Alabamas rbs. Great lines, just hit the hole and go. The special backs hit that hole then make the second and third levels miss.

I don't think he has terrible vision. I think - especially early in the year - he was always trying to bounce it outside. Improved quite a bit on that as the year went on.

His running in the Iowa game was awful. It was like he was seeking out the tackler.

I was at the game which isn't the best place to see plays develop and the replays suck. And I haven't rewatched it.

But six of his nine carries were up the middle against a pretty good run defense. That's not giving him a lot of chance to do anything.

So Newby's six carries are at the 11:35, 12:05, 23:40, 56:50, 59:55, 1:01:50, 1:30:30, 1:34:20 and 1:41:35 marks of the following video. I guess you'll have to explain to me which runs he was "awful" on. I don't see any where he didn't get basically what he could have gotten on the given play.

His run at 1:01:50 imo was truly his best run of the season. He changed directions and then hit the hole with authority and picked up 12 yards. Unfortunately this is not how he runs 99% of the time.

Nebraska's best running back sat on the bench the entire season.

I think he has terrible vision. Which in turn leads to indecisiveness. Just my opinion. I think the measurables are there. I think the talent is there. Vision is hard to quantify sometimes at the high school level when youre just that much better than everyone or are running behind a line that is just dominant. Look at some of Alabamas rbs. Great lines, just hit the hole and go. The special backs hit that hole then make the second and third levels miss.

I don't think he has terrible vision. I think - especially early in the year - he was always trying to bounce it outside. Improved quite a bit on that as the year went on.

His running in the Iowa game was awful. It was like he was seeking out the tackler.

I was at the game which isn't the best place to see plays develop and the replays suck. And I haven't rewatched it.

But six of his nine carries were up the middle against a pretty good run defense. That's not giving him a lot of chance to do anything.

So Newby's six carries are at the 11:35, 12:05, 23:40, 56:50, 59:55, 1:01:50, 1:30:30, 1:34:20 and 1:41:35 marks of the following video. I guess you'll have to explain to me which runs he was "awful" on. I don't see any where he didn't get basically what he could have gotten on the given play.

His run at 1:01:50 imo was truly his best run of the season. He changed directions and then hit the hole with authority and picked up 12 yards. Unfortunately this is not how he runs 99% of the time.

Nebraska's best running back sat on the bench the entire season.

I agree with your first statement. Agree with your second statement.

I have no idea about your second statement

Yeah, and Ozigbo should have gotten more touches than he did. He was on a milk carton for a number of games after seeing extensive action in the Illinois game.

I agree that that was the recipe for success, but the coaches didn't stick to that recipe for a number of the games.

Yeah I was hoping Ozigbo would get more touches after that Illinois game. He seemed to be a powerful runner, like Cross and Jano. I've wondered how a gameplan of pounding the rock with our bruising RBs to wear down LBs the first 2-3 quarters and then mixing in the flash of Newby would work out for us.

my assessment of Terrell is that the game is moving to fast for him yet. He misses open running lanes and instead opts to plow right into the pile to often. I like the kids skills a lot, but until that gets fixed he won't reach his full potential. Compared to ozigbo and cross at he end of the year I don't think he was the best running back in the stable, even if he was healthy.

I'm sure Newby is disappointed in the season that he had. Our OL play this year in regards to run blocking was below average. Put Newby behind a top 15 power 5 school's O-Line and he probably dashes for 1,200 yards or more. He has shown flashes of speed but yeah, I'd like to see some more outside run plays.

I listened to what Ganz said on that round table podcast also. Not that I don't appriciate his insight, but it is all just his opinion. He has one just like everyone else. He was also critical of the secondary play and scheme, saying it was outdated. Which I find odd, I doubt he would tell Mark Dantionio or Pat Narduzzi that there secondary quarters coverage is too simplistic and outdated. I just think Ganz talks out his ass a lot, just so he has something to say.

Oh, and as far as Newby goes I think the comparison to Marlon Lucky is accurate and fair. Lucky was good, but not anything close to his hype. Newby is simillar in style and body type.

Lucky was a great back.

I think Newby has the potential to be a great back.

For reference I think Ameer is an "elite back."

Personally, the different between being a great back like Lucky and Newby and a really special back, like Helu and Burkhead, is often coaching and scheme. I think that if you took Helu and dropped him on this team, we would be talking about how he's not really that great.

We really really miss Ron Brown, imo.

• Fire 3