Current Ranking 2016 Class

True. It's going to get interesting.

We have a good chance of getting Fitzpatrick and Farmiok. If we do, those two alone will be, I think, our third and fifth highest rated recruits.

They'd be nice gets, but we need D-lineman. Good ones.

Sure we do. Not for next year but the future.

However that fact doesn't automatically make this class suck or mean the coaches are going a horrible job.

I will reserve final judgment on signing day, but if we are not able to finish in the top 20, then Riley and company have not met the expectations they were hired to do. Bo had many classes ranked outside the top 20 and into the early 30s, and Riley was supposed to really excel with recruiting.

Even if we land Butler, Jackson, Fitzpatrick, and Farniok, I don't see this class ending up in the top 20.

Where was it said that this was the expectation of the new staff. I believe the two main objectives were that Riley has done OK with OSU level recruits - he was sold as someone that does well with average talent and should be able to have better talent here (that is different then being a better recruiter). The second thing that most were sold on was that fact that he would not act like an idiot on the sideline and in the interview room.

He was hired to win Championships! Do you really believe that is going to happen without better recruits! they go hand in hand!!!!!

Agree and we ALL want the championships - did you plan on getting that Championship in year one or two. If so, you might want to tame down the expectations. We haven't been highly ranked in awhile and to get these championships we have to get past the defending National Champs and a potential NC for this year (just for the BIG Champtionship) - along with other current powerhouse teams in the playoffs for the NC.

Seems like if we could get into the top 25 next year and bump our recruiting up to a solid top 20 class and then try to improve both those numbers by 5 or 10 we would have a reason to start to talk about championships again on a yearly basis. As said before, I'm not "in" enough to know if Riley is the guy, however giving him more than a handful of months would be nice - maybe creating a little stability around here would be good!!!

No I didn't expect to win a championship in yr. one or yr. 2 but the recruiting has to improve Immediately. That is how we will win championships, that and coaching. Even if by some miracle the recruiting improves, it will take some time to see results. We can't afford to keep losing out on these recruits or it just becomes " well next yr.............then next yr.............. then.................. Well I think you get the message. We have been patient for a very loooooong time.

Recruiting has already improved - Riley saved Bo's 2015 class and added a few to it last year. This years class is averaging about 5 points higher per player on 247 composite. When you go after the top recruits you are going to loss out way more than winning. Most top recruits have 10 to 20 solid offers so you have a 5% to 10% chance to grab them - when you get to the final 3 you have done well, obviously the close is required for it to matter. The comment about being patient for a very looooooong time is confusing to me. You are either including Bo in that time which would make it a true statement, however Riley can't take credit for Bo's slow recruiting. I wish Bo would have gotten his dream job in the sec after year 2 when he thought he was the real deal. If you are only including Riley in the above comment (which I assume you aren't) then you are about as patient as when my kids were 2.

And yet two of the top four rated recruits in this class were committed to Bo.

How bout 15 yrs since really winning anything of merit Is that patient enough. No top ten , hardly ever top 20 and lately not even ranked. Yee haw!!! and like it was mentioned here I believe a couple of the higher rated guys were Bobos' and by the way that top 3 were gettin in for those recruits ain't nothin to write home about . We are not getting beat out by okie or alabama , or people like that it is mostly the also rans. . I noticed how you didn't want to talk about class rank, well I can see why, we are behind most of the teams in the conference and about 8th in the Big!!! Impressive Do you really think we are just going to pull out some miraculous finish to this class when we really haven't done it up to now. Well there is some Kool-aide for ya

I'm with you on nothing really happening over the past 15 years. However almost everybody that had any involvement in the majority of those years is gone. The group that we have now has been here for 1 year - patience is required (unless you want to dump the baggage of the last 2 staffs on Riley). I don't believe any fans are asking for 3 or 4 years to see results - most expect to see some changes right away and consistent improvement. At some point down the road we will have a clear picture if this path needs to change or if we are looking like a team that we saw from the 80's and early 90's.

I am not putting that on Riley, how could I , he had nothing to do with it, but with what I have witnessed on the field and the current trend in recruiting do not bode well if we are talking about championships!!! What I see is more mediocrity until we are the next has been.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update after the Bulter commit.

Previous rankings:

Rivals - 44

247 - 31

Scout - 38

ESPN - 27

Current rankings:

Rivals - can't find updated with Bulter..

247 - 33

Scout - T34

Espn - 32

If someone knows Rivals ranking I'll edit.

We added a quality player and dropped 2 spots on 247 and 5 on ESPN, but went up 4 spots on Scout (which sucks). Makes sense????

Previous rankings:

Rivals - 44

247 - 31

Scout - 38

ESPN - 27

Current rankings:

247 - 33

Scout - T34

Espn - 32

We added a quality player and dropped 2 spots on 247 and 5 on ESPN, but went up 4 spots on Scout (which sucks). Makes sense????

Other schools are also adding recruits while this is going on.

• Fire 2

Previous rankings:

Rivals - 44

247 - 31

Scout - 38

ESPN - 27

Current rankings:

247 - 33

Scout - T34

Espn - 32

If we add 1 quality recruit and other teams by us add 2+ they are going to move up more....

Plus ranking services updated their final rankings and we had some guys drop. (And sone rose barely).

Recruiting rankings of players are pretty much a joke. Mostly, the reflect an offer list, which is hardly verifiable. I have a couple of buddies who assistant coach at P5 programs. They chuckle because there are kids reporting offers from their programs even though no one in the program has communicated to them. That's just an example.

The other side of this is you might have some "evaluators" out there working camps. There's no way that they can provide a uniform grade across the country, there's going to be regional and congruence bias among the "evaluators" and 99% of these guys are basically just reporters and hardly, if at all, qualified to evaluate recruiting talent. They are paid very little (probably less than $20k a year. Maybe high end for the beat recruitniks is $30k a year.

You're just not going to pull in top notch talent with that type of salary.

And, if they were any good, they would be snatched up by a college staff.

Recruiting rankings of players are pretty much a joke. Mostly, the reflect an offer list, which is hardly verifiable. I have a couple of buddies who assistant coach at P5 programs. They chuckle because there are kids reporting offers from their programs even though no one in the program has communicated to them. That's just an example.

The other side of this is you might have some "evaluators" out there working camps. There's no way that they can provide a uniform grade across the country, there's going to be regional and congruence bias among the "evaluators" and 99% of these guys are basically just reporters and hardly, if at all, qualified to evaluate recruiting talent. They are paid very little (probably less than $20k a year. Maybe high end for the beat recruitniks is $30k a year.

I think there is a great deal of truth in what you say here. I would say we will have to wait until we see the signed class that NU ends up getting. I think your best evaluation (even this is only worth so much in my view) is that local media reports and stats and actual H.S. game results, etc. Trusting some recruiting guru's evaluation on each player is at best 'ify'. For example, we have commitments from Minnesota player of the year Spiehlman who one can read all about his accomplishments during the years in the Minneapolis area newspapers, etc. He was a star. Period. He is a very very good (possibly 'great') football player. Tre Bryant, the RB from St Louis produced excellent numbers. His film looks excellent. He was recruited by K State (B. Snyder and company are excellent recruiters of football players). Rest assured he is well worth a scholarship and no matter what his 'star' rating may be, he is an excellent player. A class full of players of the talent of these two is more than sufficient to win football games at a high level. We can compete for Big Ten titles with these caliber players. No matter what their 'star' ratings are, we will be fine if we recruit these kinds of players. Personally, I am very comfortable with 3 star players with great stats. 5 star guys often have more ego than work ethic and think they deserve to start withiout working as hard as the guys around him. At least this is often the case.

The previous sample size of National Champions disagree.

Try asking Northwestern, Iowa or Michigan State if the joke of recruiting websites, which say their teams were far inferior to their opponents, what they think of them.

Reality is they aren't perfect and never will be. But they do a pretty good job for the most part of indicating talent and the likely outcome of most teams.

The thing many folks aren't realizing is that we aren't the only team adding recruits. Just because we gain some commitments doesn't mean our ranking is going to improve. In fact it can still go down if other teams behind us acquire better recruits than us.

You want to contend for championships you have to recruit " like a contender " you can sit sit here and say well next yr is our yr. and then the next and the next and.......................................

you have to make it happen!!! It is as simple as that.

Sure, nobody is arguing that. But can we stop pretending that Nebraska is in a position to draw a class that competes with the SEC or tOSU/UM crowd right now?

First things first. We had to change the culture and suffer a transition year. That step is over. Is this class making us all a bit nervous? Damn straight it is, but it isn't over yet. Once the staff can actually show case what they bring to the table, the recruiting will get easier and more fruitful since all most of yall wanna look at is number of recruits and stars by their name.

You want to contend for championships you have to recruit " like a contender " you can sit sit here and say well next yr is our yr. and then the next and the next and.......................................

you have to make it happen!!! It is as simple as that.

Well said, sir. When Riley was hired we were led to believe that with all of these new resources at his disposal that we'd land a great class. Now, it's "oh we're laying the groundwork for a great class next year..." Some people are still in denial about star ratings, even though it's been proven time and time again that they DO matter. If they didn't, teams wouldn't bother with recruiting services.

The thing many folks aren't realizing is that we aren't the only team adding recruits. Just because we gain some commitments doesn't mean our ranking is going to improve. In fact it can still go down if other teams behind us acquire better recruits than us.

I think you also forget that a lot of teams above us have full classes already. They don't move and we can leapfrog above them.

Let's concentrate on the positive side of things eh? Unless you just love wallowing in despair all the time?

Wallowing in despair? No. Living in reality and not just the land of wishful thinking? Yes.

Wayyyy too many Kool-Aid drinkers here who set themselves up for failure, yet complain when the outcome isn't what they hoped for. Average recruiting class ranking usually is equivalent to final poll ranking. Bama finishes #1 in recruiting class year-in year-out, and look who's winning the championships. We barely crack the Top 25 in recruiting, and look where we generally wind up.

"and stop pretending that Nebraska is in a position to draw a class that competes with the SEC or tOSU/UM crowd right now?"

And why exactly is that? UM was arguably in a worse position than we were in heading in to this past season, and yet they're the 4th odds-on-favorite to win it all next year. Why is that?

It's because they went out and hired a big-name coach, while we went out and hired Mike F'n Riley.

• Fire 1