[Spoilers] Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread

Man, endgame for Kylo Ren? You would think the easy thing is he gets super nasty in 9 and Rey kills him in 10. That was too easy though, I think they get a tad more creative here, maybe he ends up sacrificing himself for his Mom or something but that would reflect too much on Vader.....although he does idolize him. The character is unique enough they could really do some messed up stuff in 9 and really make him a cinematic legend.

Man, endgame for Kylo Ren? You would think the easy thing is he gets super nasty in 9 and Rey kills him in 10. That was too easy though, I think they get a tad more creative here, maybe he ends up sacrificing himself for his Mom or something but that would reflect too much on Vader.....although he does idolize him. The character is unique enough they could really do some messed up stuff in 9 and really make him a cinematic legend.

I'm fascinated to see where this goes, as well. I have a hard time imagining what type of redemption (if any) for Ren is coming, personally, only because he killed probably the second most important member of his family outside of his mother. That, along with his facial injury, sets the stage for a more brutal and ruthless Ren in future films. It follows a similar arc to Vader who himself became more ruthless and less forgiving during ESB.

Now, there are some fan theories that suggest Ren is actually using the Dark Side to take down Snoke and that perhaps even Han's death was somehow coordinated between Ren and Han for a greater purpose. Who knows. However, if Ren truly is as vicious as he seems, he has already passed Vader in the sense that he chose the Dark Side over his family in a critical moment. But, in a way, so did Vader when he tried to kill Padme and then Obi Wan when he believed she had been turned against him....

Regardless, I think Ren's end game will eventually lead itself on a similar path as Vader in the sense that he will have some moment of ultimate redemption, or something as close to it as possible. I just don't believe this internal battle between the Light and the Dark is over. I also have a feeling the director and story writers will want to head this direction, even if it seems cliche and done before.

By retribution, did you mean 'redemption'?

I strongly hope that he doesn't die. For him, that's too easy a way out and it lets him escape having to deal with the choices he's made. For us, it's too familiar and bloodthirsty a pattern, and it makes this a trilogy kind of about "the fall and death of Ben Solo". Seriously, why is it that even in most children's movies, we have this motif of the evil villain getting what they deserve by *being killed*? Even when we want to avoid the Hero doing this (because they're Batman/Simba/a Jedi/etc), the villain's death by conveniently non-Hero means during the final confrontation is an all-too-familiar trope. I don't see the point to it.

I like the idea of Kylo being an analogy for a heinous criminal in society. All of them were at one point kids with bright prospects, but somewhere along the way they went too far down the other road. Society (particularly Leia, and Rey) can't forgive him, but neither (I hope) would they be seeking the death penalty to fulfill their vengeful needs. He'd have to be defeated and rendered powerless in some way, and perhaps in that state we'll see him, Leia, and Rey come to terms with what he's done - especially to Han.

I'm a big fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender and there's some parallels here between benders and force users. One ability reserved for the supreme bender (the Avatar) is that of taking away another's bending power, reserved for the most extreme of circumstances. So that's what I'd like to see here. If Rey gains this ability and, after many chances, decides to use it to sever Kylo's ties to the Force for good, it will both be his defeat and the culmination of her rise as a true Master. She doesn't become a killer even incidentally, but she *does* make a conscious choice to destroy her opponent in a way that he does deserve. From there, Kylo's life failings can be explored. He may hardly have time to come all the way back at the end of one movie, but there'd be a glimmer of hope that he, Rey, and Leia can reconcile some of the things that have happened and he'll end up, I don't know, writing letters to Rey in the future from his prison cell (a Lawrence Phillips/Tom Osborne analogy here, to be recent :P)

In general, I'm not a fan of employing the Plot Twist (as reveals such as the Han/Kylo collusion theory or the Plageuis theory would be). The OT has one of the most memorable ones in cinematic history. There's no way it can be attempted again and land with the same impact. And it's not like a movie epic needs one; this is neither The Sixth Sense nor a daytime soap. At some point in the future the entire plot of the films will be known, and I'd hope that would only mean "Hey, I want to see how the told story!" versus "I guess I know the big secret the entire thing was leading up to! At least we have our own generation's version of Darth Vader memes."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...