CB Trai Mosley Leaving the Team

Mavric

Tell me how the scholarship commitment/contract works: Can a coach pull a scholarship anytime if he thinks the kid doesn't fit his system or isn't playing up to par? I know the student has to request a release to transfer to another school but how does it work from the coach's side when he wants to get rid of a student and make room for others? With all of the talk of various players leaving potentially, what are the obligations of each party as a scholarship is essentially a contract to perform by both parties. Your insight is appreciated. I obviously was not so lucky to get a scholarship when I was in college and my son's full ride scholarship was academic - so I don't understand the athletic scholarship 'terms'. (which I was very glad for his academic scholarship as he was on track to received an athletic basketball scholarship- point guard - if not for the 2 darn ACL surgeries - funny thing or not so - 11 years later I end up wt an ACL surgery this year - ouch - must be a genetic thing).

Not too surprised about Mosley, Banker likes bigger stronger corners. Mosley was undersized and for Bo's system more than he did Banker's. Wish him the best of luck

You cant go wrong with bigger corners...look at what is happening in the NFL. If you don't improve the quality of the players how are you going to get better? Every Riley hater points out our pass defense and snickers....cant have it both ways.

Trai seemed like a good kid. Only time I remember him playing this year was getting beat vs BYU. Probably has more to do with playing time, by all accounts Jones/Kalu are far ahead of him. Also have heard Lee is ahead of him and Anderson is close.

He's also not the type of corner from a physical standpoint that this defense will be using.

I hope MR has some good recruits (esp JUCO) coming in to replace those leaving. We need help in the secondary and isn't this the 2nd one from the secondary to leave the team in the past week?

Jonathon Rose was dismissed, but he was Senior. Mosley played some important minutes this year and still has 3 years of elibility.
He didn't play important minutes.
  • Fire 3

Tell me how the scholarship commitment/contract works: Can a coach pull a scholarship anytime if he thinks the kid doesn't fit his system or isn't playing up to par? I know the student has to request a release to transfer to another school but how does it work from the coach's side when he wants to get rid of a student and make room for others? With all of the talk of various players leaving potentially, what are the obligations of each party as a scholarship is essentially a contract to perform by both parties. Your insight is appreciated. I obviously was not so lucky to get a scholarship when I was in college and my son's full ride scholarship was academic - so I don't understand the athletic scholarship 'terms'. (which I was very glad for his academic scholarship as he was on track to received an athletic basketball scholarship- point guard - if not for the 2 darn ACL surgeries - funny thing or not so - 11 years later I end up wt an ACL surgery this year - ouch - must be a genetic thing).

I could be wrong, but I believe that in football, the scholarships are of e one-year renewable variety. It gives the coaches and players a chance to sit down and evaluate things after a season to see if the desire to renew the scholly is mutual.

I do believe Delaney and the Big 10 have proposed full four year scholly agreements in the recent past as an alternative. It'd help mitigate the oversigning and more plentiful "cutting" of players from schollies in places like the SEC.

The idea didn't get much traction, though. The logistics of moving to a full four-year scholly system would make it nearly impossible to recover if you miss on important guys or have a high number of busts that you then have to carry for a full college career.

I hope MR has some good recruits (esp JUCO) coming in to replace those leaving. We need help in the secondary and isn't this the 2nd one from the secondary to leave the team in the past week?

Jonathon Rose was dismissed, but he was Senior. Mosley played some important minutes this year and still has 3 years of elibility.
He didn't play important minutes.

Didn't he play a good amount, and maybe even start a game(?), when we had some injuries and Daniel Davie got thrown under the bus?

EDIT: I may be hallucinating. I've 3 weeks without Husker football and it's wearing on me. :lol:

I could be wrong, but I believe that in football, the scholarships are of e one-year renewable variety. It gives the coaches and players a chance to sit down and evaluate things after a season to see if the desire to renew the scholly is mutual.

I do believe Delaney and the Big 10 have proposed full four year scholly agreements in the recent past as an alternative. It'd help mitigate the oversigning and more plentiful "cutting" of players from schollies in places like the SEC.

The idea didn't get much traction, though. The logistics of moving to a full four-year scholly system would make it nearly impossible to recover if you miss on important guys or have a high number of busts that you then have to carry for a full college career.

Thanks Dude for the explanation. That helps my understanding of what is going on. It does force the players to work hard and earn each year and I see the logic against a 4 year scholly - get a couple of busts at a key position like QB or RB and you might end up write off the rest of your career as coach at that university.

Thanks Dude for the explanation. That helps my understanding of what is going on. It does force the players to work hard and earn each year and I see the logic against a 4 year scholly - get a couple of busts at a key position like QB or RB and you might end up write off the rest of your career as coach at that university.

Actually Nebraska committed to 4 year scholly's under Bo 2 years ago. So this is pretty crappy if they asked him to leave. They are having a hard time trying to fill the current class of 23. I don't think they need to have that number rise to 28 by running folks off. Anytime a staff is looking at taking a half a dozen JC players you know they're coaching for a quick fix to save their jobs rather than build a program.

Actually Nebraska committed to 4 year scholly's under Bo 2 years ago. So this is pretty crappy if they asked him to leave. They are having a hard time trying to fill the current class of 23. I don't think they need to have that number rise to 28 by running folks off. Anytime a staff is looking at taking a half a dozen JC players you know they're coaching for a quick fix to save their jobs rather than build a program.

Who says they are running players off?

Who says they are running players off?
good. Need more non contributors off the team, especially if the player wants a chance at playing time. Can't argue with the coaches for targeting JUCOs too, and if it's about saving their job, wouldn't any of us do the same thing? I would. Also, Stoops won his first title with JUCOs, a QB was one of them too. Good luck to Trai.