Armstrong: "Treat me like a freshman"

zoogs

"Treat me like a veteran but there's some aspects of the game I'm not a veteran in, like decision making and forcing balls," Armstrong said. "So that's where it comes from treat me like I just got here. Like he's my coach for the first time and making sure he holds me accountable for every mistake I make."

Armstrong said Langsdorf was "excited" about Armstrong telling him that. He talked to two of NU's graduate assistants about it, too.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/practice-report-dec-tommy-armstrong-says-treat-me-like-a/article_c457fc90-a5e2-11e5-b989-7346bd00a55c.html

This is the Tommy taking charge of himself we all wanted to see. :thumbs

• Fire 3

Does he hear footsteps that aren't even here quite yet? Is this what a legitimate challenge brings about? Very good thing I think.

Edit: I am hoping this attitude gets him to that place we all have though he could be. I'm all for him excelling and giving POB a year to acclimate.

Possibly! By his own admission here, there were times he didn't take to coaching as much as he should. (I'm not so sure about his reasoning: "That's life"...?) But, we do need to move on.

Tommy knows that POB will be coming here as an actual freshman, eager to learn and get after it. He's too much of a competitor to let POB be too much of a shining star in the teacher's pet category. He knows, hopefully, that if he wants to be a senior leader QB as he's stated, he can't get shown up in any way by some hotshot frosh.

As I've said in other threads, I appreciate TA's passion, but I'm getting a bit tired of his drama. First we had his post on social media a couple weeks ago, and now he's begging for fan's to give him a 4th chance to prove that he will somehow magically improve his footwork and decision making. Why should we give him a 4th chance...he had a 2nd chance his sophomore year, and his 3rd chance this past season.

It's going to be very difficult for him to change his footwork and mechanics in one off-season when facing a guy (in POB) that it just comes natural to. With any sport, some things come naturally for guys, while others it does not. Brandon Wheeden could work his butt off more than any other NFL QB, but he's never going to be good as Romo is, and we saw that this past season.

The only good thing about calling TA a freshman is that it will be easier for Riley and DL to say they are benching a freshman and not a 4th-year senior should POB earn the starting nod.

• Fire 6

As I've said in other threads, I appreciate TA's passion, but I'm getting a bit tired of his drama. First we had his post on social media a couple weeks ago, and now he's begging for fan's to give him a 4th chance to prove that he will somehow magically improve his footwork and decision making. Why should we give him a 4th chance...he had a 2nd chance his sophomore year, and his 3rd chance this past season.

It's going to be very difficult for him to change his footwork and mechanics in one off-season when facing a guy (in POB) that it just comes natural to. With any sport, some things come naturally for guys, while others it does not. Brandon Wheeden could work his butt off more than any other NFL QB, but he's never going to be good as Romo is, and we saw that this past season.

The only good thing about calling TA a freshman is that it will be easier for Riley and DL to say they are benching a freshman and not a 4th-year senior should POB earn the starting nod.

Tommy works his but off and earns the starting job he plays no questions asked. He listens to the coaches, works on getting better makes good decisions and works on not throwing off his backfoot and he will not lose the job. POB can steal it but very unlikely. POB starts mid-year, wait and see approach because he has not seen a college level defense yet. POB does have advantages though like mechanics but you missed one thing that a lot of people overlook height. POB-6'4 225, Tommy 6'0-220

• Fire 1

That's well said, too, bnilhome. I can understand anyone who's given up hopes of Tommy turning it around. Heck, I'm pretty "well, let's wait-and-see" about this myself -- but he's so eminently likable it's hard for me not to get swept back into cheerleader mode.

If he's unable to live up to it next year, it might mean a bad season, but there'll be other things to be excited about. Such as the potential blossoming of a freshman QB talent.

• Fire 1

That's well said, too, bnilhome. I can understand anyone who's given up hopes of Tommy turning it around. Heck, I'm pretty "well, let's wait-and-see" about this myself -- but he's so eminently likable it's hard for me not to get swept back into cheerleader mode.

If he's unable to live up to it next year, it might mean a bad season, but there'll be other things to be excited about. Such as the potential blossoming of a freshman QB talent.

Tommy would be so much further along right now if he had just listened to his coaches in the beginning. You're absolutely right about him being likable, makes it hard not to root for him.

He has a lot of hard work in front of him if he wants to correct his throwing mechanics. When he does manage to set his feet correctly, he's pretty darned accurate. Hopefully he works hard and makes big strides. It would be awesome to see him completing >65% of his passes and cut his interceptions in half or better. If Tommy could have played like that this year, we wouldn't have a losing season.

All that said, I don't really care how long it took for Tommy to get to this point, he's here now, and I hope he moves forward in the most positive ways possible. I think he has it in him.

• Fire 1

I honestly don't care how TA throws the ball or how is mechanics are. It's his decision making that gets him in trouble. The coaches are also somewhat responsible for that as well. They totally misused TA. He is a gifted dual threat QB, more so in the running department. To not take advantage of that every chance they could get was ludicrous,.

• Fire 1

I wonder how much of the decision to not run with Tommy had to do with the lack of QB depth. We all saw what happened when we don't have a fully healthy Tommy. Perhaps he was told to not run as much because there simply wasn't anyone behind him.

Next year well have POB who, though it won't be pretty as a true freshman, will at least provide some depth at that position. Maybe we'll see Tommy run it nor next season.

• Fire 1

I wonder how much of the decision to not run with Tommy had to do with the lack of QB depth. We all saw what happened when we don't have a fully healthy Tommy. Perhaps he was told to not run as much because there simply wasn't anyone behind him.

Next year well have POB who, though it won't be pretty as a true freshman, will at least provide some depth at that position. Maybe we'll see Tommy run it nor next season.

Lack of depth probably had a lot to do with it. After losing so many games though, I would think that eventually the coaches would say to hell with it and do what Tommy is good at regardless of the depth behind him. There has to be a threshold somewhere where winning trumps everything else. I hate to think about what that threshold is for this staff.