Final four location

last Wednesday I was getting on a plane in Atlanta and met a woman traveling to omaha for the final four. She played for aTm twice in Nebraska. She was well aware of the Husker crowd and expected us to be out in force in omaha.

Well, it appeared that it was. Over 17,000 for the games. Largest crowds ever to watch volleyball in the US. Most were loud Husker fans. The crowd played a part in the Huskers winning.

So....my question is, does that make the ncaa more likely to bring it back to omaha? It's fantastic for the sport to have that many fans coming to the games??? Or, do they view it as way too much of a home court advantage for us?

To me, I say screw it. Great for the sport. Bring it back. How many times have we had to play for NCs in football in Florida against a Florida team?

Thoughts???

For the NCAA its all about the money, honey.

The CWS came back to Omaha after being some place else and having no attendance to speak of.

If the CWS sells out without Creighton or Nebraska in it, the volleyball should too. (I think there has been a final four in Omaha without NU. If so, how did that turn out?)

Omaha location has to be on-top of every season's discussion. At very least, a couple rounds. We had a conversation about Lincoln needing to host- I have to think air travel in/out of Lincoln is a little more challenging then NCAA would want- my friend said he was out in 98 (?) when Spokan WA hosted- and Lincoln is far easier/larger. The sport has grown since those days.

The Final Four has been in Omaha three times: 2006, 2008 & 2015. Nebraska has participated all three times, winning the National Championship in 2006 and 2015. In 2008 we lost in the semifinals to eventual National Champs Penn State, 3-2. Stanford beat Texas that year, then PSU beat Stanford. The 2008 Nebraska/PSU match set an attendance record for a single NCAA women's volleyball match at 17,430. With no Nebraska in the Finals, attendance dropped to 14,299 - which is still good for #15 on the all-time list.

Of course, that record was broken last Thursday when the Nebraska/Kansas match was held in front of 17,551... a record which stood for 48 hours until Nebraska and Texas played in front of 17,561.

Nebraska is all over the record books for attendance, having appeared in 17 of the 42 matches played in front of 11,000 or more fans, and six of the top ten highest-attended matches, and four of the top five. Eight of the top ten, and all five of the top five, highest-attended matches have been played in Omaha.

TrFd3RY.png

The next two sites are already chosen, so don't expect the Final Four to be back in Omaha before 2018. The next two sites are:

2016 - Columbus, Ohio (Nationwide Arena)

2017 - Kansas City, MO (Sprint Center)

• Fire 2

Omaha location has to be on-top of every season's discussion. At very least, a couple rounds. We had a conversation about Lincoln needing to host- I have to think air travel in/out of Lincoln is a little more challenging then NCAA would want- my friend said he was out in 98 (?) when Spokan WA hosted- and Lincoln is far easier/larger. The sport has grown since those days.

The hang-up is hotel/convention space. We don't have the facilities the NCAA demands right now. Lincoln is working on it, but it'll be a few years.

That's straight from the Huskers front office, per the 2015 pre-season banquet.

My thoughts are also that they will be back due to money. I'm just wondering how much lobbying there will be from the other teams to not bring it here.

If it comes to lim Lincoln it will be in PBA.

Omaha will support sorting events. Before we knew Nebraska was even coming to Omaha, there were 14,000 tickets sold. I feel it's the same as Big Ten Baseball Tournament.

My thoughts are also that they will be back due to money. I'm just wondering how much lobbying there will be from the other teams to not bring it here.

Omaha will support sorting events. Before we knew Nebraska was even coming to Omaha, there were 14,000 tickets sold. I feel it's the same as Big Ten Baseball Tournament.

That was a crime when that left Omaha.

The Final Four has been in Omaha three times: 2006, 2008 & 2015. Nebraska has participated all three times, winning the National Championship in 2006 and 2015. In 2008 we lost in the semifinals to eventual National Champs Penn State, 3-2. Stanford beat Texas that year, then PSU beat Stanford. The 2008 Nebraska/PSU match set an attendance record for a single NCAA women's volleyball match at 17,430. With no Nebraska in the Finals, attendance dropped to 14,299 - which is still good for #15 on the all-time list.

Of course, that record was broken last Thursday when the Nebraska/Kansas match was held in front of 17,551... a record which stood for 48 hours until Nebraska and Texas played in front of 17,561.

Nebraska is all over the record books for attendance, having appeared in 17 of the 42 matches played in front of 11,000 or more fans, and six of the top ten highest-attended matches, and four of the top five. Eight of the top ten, and all five of the top five, highest-attended matches have been played in Omaha.

TrFd3RY.png

The next two sites are already chosen, so don't expect the Final Four to be back in Omaha before 2018. The next two sites are:

Last few years the high school that I teach at has done an outdoor regular season volleyball match at the football stadium. There is a company that will come out and set up the court and take it down.

You know where I am going with this - early season game at Memorial would probably blow the doors off the old record.

TrFd3RY.png

Last few years the high school that I teach at has done an outdoor regular season volleyball match at the football stadium. There is a company that will come out and set up the court and take it down.

You know where I am going with this - early season game at Memorial would probably blow the doors off the old record.

Can't imagine that would work for college... there has to be rules about the game being played indoors haha.

That was a crime when that left Omaha.
Will be back this year. The Big East Baseball Tournament was here last year. Don't know if they will keep alternating though.

TrFd3RY.png

Can't imagine that would work for college... there has to be rules about the game being played indoors haha.
You would think so, but they did play college basketball outdoors ... on an aircraft carrier on the water!