So You're Telling Me...

PTPer

Per Dan Hoppen Tweet: Nebraska play calling this season:

Six wins: 56.2% runs, 43.8% passes

Seven losses: 40.7% runs, 59.3% passes

Honestly, I'm ok with either one of those ratios as long as we're winning. Give it some time and I think some of those 7 losses become wins sooner rather than later.
I should hope Purdue isn't ever a loss again.

But that said, will people be content with 3 to 4 losses a season?

All of the BOlievers were apparently content with it. Had a conversation with one of the relatives tonight who still wishes we had Bo. I asked him why, and the response was well the team never gave up on him. My response was the big ten title game vs Wisky or last year vs Wisky. He merely said that it wasn't bad coaching that it was just superior players.

Once again I asked how could a walk on from GI be the back up QB for this team. His response well that's not the coaches fault. I find myself having conversations with people like this more often then I'd like to. Not sure if they will ever get it.

Did he ask you about the 4 backup QBs + 1 starter on UNLs National Championship teams?

1970 - Van Brownson: Shenandoah, Ia.

1971 - Steve Runty: Ogallala, Nebraska

1994 - Matt Turman: Wahoo, Nebraska

1995 - Brook Berringer: Goodland KS

1997 - Scott Frost(STARTER): Wood River, Nebraska

But I suppose you're not a Devaney or Osborne supporter either.

Not always where you're from, it's how you party when you get there.

How many of those guys threw 4 INTs in a game? To compare Ryker with those last two guys is pretty laughable. Love the story but I doubt he'd be starting for many D-1 schools

How many of those guys were coached to throw 48 times against a conference bottom feeder?

You don't have a clue about Ryker's abilities until he's led by a coach that can actually win more games than he loses.

Your purpose here is becoming more and more evident. The hate on the coaching staff rhetoric is growing old, I don't care how much discussion it causes.
You know what's growing old? The hiring practices of UNLs administration. The empty trophy case shelves from year 2000+. The non ability to be proud of our state treasure, the Cornhuskers. That's what.

Back in the day if a record had a skip you could put a dime on the needle arm to get past the skip. If I put a dime on your head could you please come up with a different tune?

• Fire 3

Honestly, I'm ok with either one of those ratios as long as we're winning. Give it some time and I think some of those 7 losses become wins sooner rather than later.

All of the BOlievers were apparently content with it. Had a conversation with one of the relatives tonight who still wishes we had Bo. I asked him why, and the response was well the team never gave up on him. My response was the big ten title game vs Wisky or last year vs Wisky. He merely said that it wasn't bad coaching that it was just superior players.

Once again I asked how could a walk on from GI be the back up QB for this team. His response well that's not the coaches fault. I find myself having conversations with people like this more often then I'd like to. Not sure if they will ever get it.

Did he ask you about the 4 backup QBs + 1 starter on UNLs National Championship teams?

How many of those guys threw 4 INTs in a game? To compare Ryker with those last two guys is pretty laughable. Love the story but I doubt he'd be starting for many D-1 schools

How many of those guys were coached to throw 48 times against a conference bottom feeder?

You don't have a clue about Ryker's abilities until he's led by a coach that can actually win more games than he loses.

Your purpose here is becoming more and more evident. The hate on the coaching staff rhetoric is growing old, I don't care how much discussion it causes.
You know what's growing old? The hiring practices of UNLs administration. The empty trophy case shelves from year 2000+. The non ability to be proud of our state treasure, the Cornhuskers. That's what.

Proud? :blink: I think you are confused with having a puffy chest syndrome among your non-Husker colleagues. And growing old.

Because I'm proud of Jano, Gangwish, Diedrick Young, #49, Josh (the cornerback), Kalu (the other corner), Gerry's improvement after midseason (and rediscovered passion), TA's toughness, passion and resiliency, Imani carrying the load, Nick Gates and Sterup stepping up, Collins, VV, and Maurice toughening up the DLINE, Bando making plays, Marcus Newby making plays, Stanley Morgan making plays, Westy being Westy, Alonzo Moore making catches - and spectacular catches out of nowhere, Riley making big catches down the sideline over and over, Ozigbo running hard, #49 (again) being a walkon linebacker and picking up the slack for injured players, Foltz booming kicks, Drew Brown improving his kicks as the season progressed.....

I may be missing something, but there is a lot to be proud of.

What is getting old is NU being bad. The coaches gave the fans plenty of ammunition.

This year was some of the worst coaching I have seen in some time!

What is getting old is NU being bad. The coaches gave the fans plenty of ammunition.

That's all fine and good, but when it spills into every thread on the board no matter the topic then it becomes a problem. Pretty easy to see that and if that's certain posters only purpose here, they can stop coming here IMO.

• Fire 6

Nor is he at Nebraska.

Where are you trying to go with this?

That the lack of depth we have at some positions is just maddening

This is true. When it's next man up do we really want to call on Ryker again? Ryker completed 60% of his passes after you account for interceptions, dropped balls, and near interceptions. This kid could be a fantastic pocket passer if he made better decisions with the ball but until then, I hope he only gets mop up duty.

Huh?

Anyway, 4 scholarship QBs of 3 stars or better. NU has (had?) good depth at QB. Maybe not for Langs system though. But who could have expected to recruit for a guy who likes to throw 35 to 40 times a game.

ANY quarterback should be able to consistently make all the throws. Throwing is an integral part of the position so why were we recruiting substandard passing quarterbacks?

I'm beginning to think there's a secret cabal somewhere that is determined to infest HB with trolls. Would I agree that there were coaching decisions that were boneheaded? Yes. But I refuse to discuss that when posters like this one open an account and then proceed to drop turds with every post. If you would show a semblance of balance in your posts I might take you seriously. Until then, I just consider you ban-hammer meat.

So there....... :flush

• Fire 1

Nor is he at Nebraska.

This is true. When it's next man up do we really want to call on Ryker again? Ryker completed 60% of his passes after you account for interceptions, dropped balls, and near interceptions. This kid could be a fantastic pocket passer if he made better decisions with the ball but until then, I hope he only gets mop up duty.

Huh?

Anyway, 4 scholarship QBs of 3 stars or better. NU has (had?) good depth at QB. Maybe not for Langs system though. But who could have expected to recruit for a guy who likes to throw 35 to 40 times a game.

ANY quarterback should be able to consistently make all the throws. Throwing is an integral part of the position so why were we recruiting substandard passing quarterbacks?

The previous staff wanted dual threat guys, and finding ones that are great runners AND passers seems few and far between, to me. Typically, really mobile and fast QB's are going to sacrifice some skills in the pocket.

That said, I also don't think the program has done a particularly good job developing the position over the last several years.

No offense Elf but college football is full of QB's that can't make all the throws. It's the coaches job to identify what their QB does well. Then taylor the offense to that persons strengths. Tebow is living proof of this. Average arm at best, but was very successful in the college. It's the coaches job to put them in position to be successful.

I have a clue about it. Fyfe should play for Kearney and Bush or Darlington should've started. Somebody's daddy made that fiasco happen. When he threatened to quit the team they should've told him to get going.

Nor is he at Nebraska.

Huh?

Houston had a 185lbs converted WR playing QB this year. Think he "can make all the throws"?

• Fire 2

Nor is he at Nebraska.

Huh?

Houston had a 185lbs converted WR playing QB this year. Think he "can make all the throws"?

That's not quite fair, Ward Jr was a QB in HS and has played QB in all 3 years he was UH. It's not like he made the switch to QB this year or anything. I see your point though.