Official "way too early" 2016 starting lineup prediction thread

Hujan

Like to see some of this years Freshmen step up and earn starting time on defense, guys like the Davis twins, Eric Lee at CB and Neal at DE.

You literally picked 3 areas that we have established starters. Who do you see sitting?
CB we have a hole to fill, don't we? Edit: forgot about Jones. Kept hearing good things about Lee so excited to see him.

As for Neal and Davis twins, should VV or anyone else leave is kind of what I am basing that off of plus the impending injury bug we know will occur at some point.

OFFENSE

QB: Tommy Armstrong / Patrick O'Brien

RB: Devine Ozigbo / Terrell Newby

FB: Harrison Jordan

TE: Cethan Carter

WR: Jordan Westerkamp

WR: Brandon Reilly

WR: Stanley Morgan / Alonzo Moore

OT: Nick Gates

OG: Jerald Foster

C: Paul Thurston / Dylan Utter

OG: Tanner Farmer

OT: David Knevel

DEFENSE

DE: Freedom Akinmoladun

DT: Vincent Valentine / Kevin Maurice

DT: Kevin Williams

DE: Greg McMullin

OLB: Michael Rose-Ivey

MLB: Josh Banderas

OLB: Dedrick Young / Marcus Newby

CB: Chris Jones

FS: Joshua Kalu

SS: Nate Gerry

CB: Aaron Williams / Antonio Reed

MRI and JB are seniors next year. While Young and Newby come back Bray is gonna have to start grooming some of the younguns.

I would think Thurston would be the starting center after last night.

Yeah, watching the announcers pull up replays of him getting manhandled by Clark were fun, pencil him in as the starter...

Ya, just amazing that a 320 lb second round NFL draft pick was dominating a college C with very little experience. Terrible. Smh.
Agreed. He came off the bench cold and really didn't get much experience this year. Probably too much to ask or him to dominate a high draft pick one on one.

If Riley and Langsdof are committed to running the type of offense we saw against UCLA, where there were designed runs for TA and his throwing was opened up because of a successful ground game, then TA should be the starter.

If they want to continue to throw upwards of 40 times a game, then we might as well take our chances with the Freshman.

It's really one way or the other

Agree 100%. I hope MR and Langs 'learned' something against UCLA - run the ball and let it set up their passing game. TA looked capable in that offense - it limits his decision making and doesn't put all of the pressure on his passing - which can be an adventure.

OFFENSE

QB: Tommy Armstrong / Patrick O'Brien
RB: Devine Ozigbo / Terrell Newby
FB: Harrison Jordan
TE: Cethan Carter

WR: Jordan Westerkamp

WR: Brandon Reilly
WR: Stanley Morgan / Alonzo Moore / I though Moore was a SR. Glad he is back.

OT: Nick Gates
OG: Jerald Foster
C: Paul Thurston / Dylan Utter
OG: Tanner Farmer
OT: David Knevel

DEFENSE

DE: Freedom Akinmoladun
DT: Vincent Valentine / Kevin Maurice
DT: Kevin Williams
DE: Greg McMullin

OLB: Michael Rose-Ivey
MLB: Josh Banderas
OLB: Dedrick Young / Marcus Newby

CB: Chris Jones
FS: Joshua Kalu
SS: Nate Gerry
CB: Aaron Williams / Antonio Reed

Man I am in love with that WR core right there. If they stay healthy and DPE is healthy those are the only 5 WR's that should see the field.

On Defense i think we will see a few surprise faces get alot of PT if not starting jobs next year. I just have a feeling.

It's funny that after Tommy had a good game he's now back on everyone's list as next years starter.

There have been SO many posts already giving O'Brien the job next year.

My opinion on Armstrong's status as the starter really depends what Riley & Langsdorf want to do with the offense.

If they insist on a pass-first offense and aim to sling the ball around 35-40 times a game, then you can't start Armstrong IMO and even a rookie QB who is a prototypical pocket passer (i.e., POB) would be better.

But if they are open to a power-run offense that uses the run to setup the pass and limit Armstrong to ~20 passes a game, then I think Armstrong's experience, moxie, leadership qualities, and overall athletic ability justify starting him over a freshman QB, particularly insofar as it allows POB a year to grow into his body and adjust to the college game without the risk of damaging his confidence from starting him off too early with high expectations.

Any of you see one of the Davis twins starting on the D line - maybe not 1st game but by conference play? I thought they were tearing it up on the scout team?

I've heard good things about the Davis twins, but I am surprised people keep penciling them in at the DT spots. Last I looked, they were listed at ~250 lbs., which is WAY too small to play DT in the Big Ten. They will get plowed over. As bad as Banker's D was at times, it could at least count on two +300 lbs. tackles plugging up the middle. If you put in two 250 lbs. tackles, teams are going to start doing to us what we did to UCLA. We'd have problems stopping the run AND pass.

IMO, if they are that light, I'd like to see what the Davis twins can do on the outside. If they have the athleticism to be premier pass rushers, having a tandem like that on the outside with a couple big heavies to plug the middle would be amazing.

Any of you see one of the Davis twins starting on the D line - maybe not 1st game but by conference play? I thought they were tearing it up on the scout team?

I've heard good things about the Davis twins, but I am surprised people keep penciling them in at the DT spots. Last I looked, they were listed at ~250 lbs., which is WAY too small to play DT in the Big Ten. They will get plowed over. As bad as Banker's D was at times, it could at least count on two +300 lbs. tackles plugging up the middle. If you put in two 250 lbs. tackles, teams are going to start doing to us what we did to UCLA. We'd have problems stopping the run AND pass.

IMO, if they are that light, I'd like to see what the Davis twins can do on the outside. If they have the athleticism to be premier pass rushers, having a tandem like that on the outside with a couple big heavies to plug the middle would be amazing.

I like this idea as well. Plug up the middle and get some push from the outside. As long as they understand they don't rush blindly, they have to watch for the outlet pass.

Even when Beck ran to setup the pass for Tommy, Tommy found a way to make bad decisions. Tommy found plenty of ways to lose, even when playing in 'his system'. He had a great game the other night, but he's just too streaky to lead us to a conference title. We need a Cook/Beathard to distribute the ball around, and not just to the one guy Tommy locks in on.

It's even more critical, that we have a consistent passing game, when the defense knows it's coming on 3rd down.

That said, I imagine we'll have to endure one more year with him until an alternative is developed.