Oversigning

Michigan also had 23 players for 16 spots. I'd defenitely take that into consideration if they were recruiting me.

Maybe not as far off as it seems? This would be 22. Plus three oversigns.

The number of available scholarships Michigan has to give is currently unclear. The Wolverines finished last season with five free scholarships and saw 13 players graduate without any remaining eligibility. Michigan also lost junior Willie Henry to the NFL draft, and at least three players (Derrick Green, Terry Richardson and Ross Taylor-Douglas) have opted to transfer.

Link

Chicago Tribune's Teddy Greenstein drops a flying elbow on Harbaugh

Ethics no obstacle to Michigan's Jim Harbaugh dumping verbal commits

We hear about the Jim Harbaugh slumber party at a recruit's house and make lame jokes about khaki pajamas. Harbaugh stalks a California kid, sits in on his World Religions Class and the photo gets thousands of looks on social media.

It's all a diversion.

The real Harbaugh is the one who just told a left tackle from Downers Grove South who had been committed to Michigan orally for two-plus years to take a hike. Actually, Harbaugh didn't tell Erik Swenson. Apparently he was too busy posing for selfies. So he had his offensive line coach, Tim Drevno, do it.​

Don't feel bad, kid. It's how Harbaugh does business. It's called "over-recruiting." Or "Colter-ing."

When Harbaugh was at Stanford, he secured an oral commitment from Kain Colter. Even had Colter spend time with fellow quarterback Andrew Luck during a campus visit.

After Colter injured his throwing shoulder, Stanford coaches asked for MRIs and pretended they needed clearance from the admissions office, despite Colter's 4.2 grade-point average. Then they stopped calling altogether.

No wonder Colter thinks college football players should be considered employees. He got fired from Stanford before he even set foot on Northwestern's campus.

Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald said this in 2011: "We're going to honor our commitments. The coaches who punt on guys when they get hurt, it's pathetic. It's these kids' futures."

• Fire 3

I mean ... I don't like it either. Doesn't seem right. A great reason to get rid of NSD and let guys sign whenever they want.

But we just did (basically) the same thing last year. And there were several people talking about getting rid of 'dead weight' on the current roster.

Argue about the degree all you but it's not like Harbaugh is the only one. Or that recruits don't do the same thing.

I mean ... I don't like it either. Doesn't seem right. A great reason to get rid of NSD and let guys sign whenever they want.

But we just did (basically) the same thing last year. And there were several people talking about getting rid of 'dead weight' on the current roster.

Argue about the degree all you but it's not like Harbaugh is the only one. Or that recruits don't do the same thing.

Agreed, it's a vicious cycle. And until rules are changed it'll stay that way.

Are you referring to Dillman?

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but for the life of me I can't think of who we did this to last year. Is it Dillman as referenced above? I don't recall his exact situation (I remember something about being hurt, transferring, having to play JV). But if we did the exact same thing as Michigan (cutting him loose a couple weeks before signing day w/o any prior notice), then yes, it was a bad deal.

And I don't equate running non-contributors off that are already in the program to telling a recruit 2 weeks before signing day that we don't have room for you.

And yes, Harbaugh isn't the only one who does this, but his wacky stunts are getting all this good press, so its good to see someone take him to task.