SEC Recruiting

I have said for many years, I believe at some point, there will be a major crack down on the NCAA that will make the Olympic Committee scandal look like a game of play ground kick ball.

I believe THAT is where the investigation needs to be. However, it is possible if someone would get enough dirt on the SEC, it would bring down the NCAA also.

I have said for many years, I believe at some point, there will be a major crack down on the NCAA that will make the Olympic Committee scandal look like a game of play ground kick ball.

I believe THAT is where the investigation needs to be. However, it is possible if someone would get enough dirt on the SEC, it would bring down the NCAA also.

Agree on the NCAA.

I would take this with the same level of seriousness as people in Nebraska felt when our friends from Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State & Missouri used to accuse us of handing out "county scholarships." Those guys also "knew" we were dirty.

I would imagine Mr. Wade (who has apparently now deleted his Facebook account) will find the same level of dirt on Ole Miss as all those guys found on Nebraska.

The payoffs are the payoffs... stuff like that happens a lot, unfortunately. That's part of the reason I'm for paying players, so there's less incentive for kids to take money out of necessity and so we have more moral authority when we crack down on players who do take benefits.

But to me, the real advantage that the SEC gains in recruiting is the games it plays with recruiting restrictions. I haven't seen a recent updated, but at one point, there was a detailed report showing that SEC teams signed upwards of 20% more kids over a 4 year period than the average team from any other P5 conference. When you have a mentality of "more grist for the mill," of course you're going to (a) reduce the impact of standard attrition, and (b) withhold from other schools that oversigned talent or disrupt the development of talent that may eventually transfer to a non-SEC school.

The payoffs are the payoffs... stuff like that happens a lot, unfortunately. That's part of the reason I'm for paying players, so there's less incentive for kids to take money out of necessity and so we have more moral authority when we crack down on players who do take benefits.

But to me, the real advantage that the SEC gains in recruiting is the games it plays with recruiting restrictions. I haven't seen a recent updated, but at one point, there was a detailed report showing that SEC teams signed upwards of 20% more kids over a 4 year period than the average team from any other P5 conference. When you have a mentality of "more grist for the mill," of course you're going to (a) reduce the impact of standard attrition, and (b) withhold from other schools that oversigned talent or disrupt the development of talent that may eventually transfer to a non-SEC school.

IMO, geography is a much bigger factor, because today's recruiting is all about the "un-official" visit. Since schools can't pay for a recruit to visit until his senior year, the SEC is getting them on campus (short drive) and locking them up before they even get a shot to visit. From ESPN's Tom Luginbil, to HuskerOnline's Sean Callahan, they've all said it.

• Fire 1

Reading that was very entertaining. Sounds like someone needed to blow off steam. I have no doubt there are some "ATM gift cards" and other perks being handed out in the SEC ....and other conferences as well.

If this ever got any steam, who knows what would happen. The NCAA has been inconsistent in their investigations and even the punishments handed down for decades now. I am not sure what drives that, but suspect it could be boiled down to top leadership and money in some sort of way. Honestly, I am not even sure what kind of teeth the NCAA has anymore. That's a whole conversation by itself though.

IMO, geography is a much bigger factor, because today's recruiting is all about the "un-official" visit. Since schools can't pay for a recruit to visit until his senior year, the SEC is getting them on campus (short drive) and locking them up before they even get a shot to visit. From ESPN's Tom Luginbil, to HuskerOnline's Sean Callahan, they've all said it.

Yes, totally agree. The restrictions on visits and other contact have really hurt programs like NU and had the opposite of the intended effect. I just mentioned the other first because you can't really "regulate" around geography (other than lifting the restrictions on cost reimbursement, which the NCAA should totally do).

It also really restricts a kid's access to information, which is a big problem IMO.

• Fire 1