Will NU return to National Dominance again - next 10-15 years

TGHusker

Will NU return to "Albama"s standard during the next 10 - 15 years?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No team will be on the level of the Huskers of the 1993 to 1998 level as no team will ever accumulate that much talent.

Guess you didn't watch the game last night.

I did, Special Teams is the only reason Alabama has another title.

Alabama has been lucky to win the titles they have.

2009 - Their only undefeated season under Nick Saben.

2011 - LSU rematch, that was a joke & that game should have never happened.

2012 - SEC Title game, bad clock management by Georgia won them the game. Then played a highly over ranked Notre Dame team for the title.

2015 - Was a solid title.

Bama was an Arkansas 4th and 25 conversion in OT from not making the playoff...

• Fire 2

I tend to believe that, with the right coach, anything is possible.

We have a long history, but we were pretty much a doormat when Bob Devaney came to town. Somehow he made a room of kids believe in themselves at some point. And winning is sometimes contagious. And they were able to keep the machine running for a long time because of that winning attitude, shared by players, coaches, and fans alike.

We've lost our way after the last 15 years. I'm not sure if anyone in that locker room truly believes they will beat Ohio State when they step on the field with them next year. They may hope. But I doubt they truly believe. I doubt many coaches or fans feel differently.

You look at all the great programs, and they typically have a man leading them who believes. When we get that guy, we'll know because he'll be quoted someday like Bear Bryant after the fact:

You boys were eight and ten years old last time Alabama was on top. That was before any of you were paying much attention to it. What are you doing here? Tell me why you are here. If you are not here to win a national championship, you’re in the wrong place. You boys are special. I don’t want my players to be like other students. I want special people. You can learn a lot on the football field that isn’t taught in the home, the church, or the classroom. There are going to be days when you think you’ve got no more to give and then you’re going to give plenty more. You are going to have pride and class. You are going to be very special. You are going to win the national championship for Alabama.

...Except our boys weren't born the last time Nebraska was on top.

But I do think someone out there exists who will once again make our program believe it belongs. I don't necessarily get the vibe that it's this staff. I hope, but I don't truly believe.

No team will be on the level of the Huskers of the 1993 to 1998 level as no team will ever accumulate that much talent.

Guess you didn't watch the game last night.

I did, Special Teams is the only reason Alabama has another title.

Alabama has been lucky to win the titles they have.

2009 - Their only undefeated season under Nick Saben.

2011 - LSU rematch, that was a joke & that game should have never happened.

2012 - SEC Title game, bad clock management by Georgia won them the game. Then played a highly over ranked Notre Dame team for the title.

2015 - Was a solid title.

I've seen you post this before and responded but maybe you never followed up and read the response.

I don't follow your reasoning for putting forth 2012 as remotely illegitimate. Notre Dame was that season's only undefeated team (having defeated Michigan, Michigan State, Miami, Stanford, Oklahoma, and USC to name the most respected programs of late) that wasn't on probation - Ohio State. The one-loss teams (heading into the bowl season) were Alabama, Oregon, and Stanford. Considering Stanford had beaten Oregon and Notre Dame beat Stanford, I don't see how you're arguing that ND was "over ranked," especially when it doesn't seem you like the idea of a conference rematch for the MNC game. Georgia wound up being the highest-ranked two-loss team.

If Alabama was lucky in 2012, it's that they were in the game at all...due to the suspension of the Buckeyes.

p.s. - I had forgotten about Florida having been a one-loss team back then...but they had lost to Georgia that season (i.e., not won their division). They lost to Louisville in their bowl game.

Outside of Alabama, and maybe OSU, what other program are we considering as dominant in such a way that NU was during the 90s? Certainly there are a few programs over the last couple of years that seem to be consistently near the top: Mich St, Clemson, FSU, LSU, Stanford, Oregon, Oklahoma(?), TCU/Baylor(?). Maybe I'm missing a couple of teams, but I don't see any of those outside of Alabama especially, and maybe OSU, as dominating the way NU dominated.

Its not impossible for NU to get back to that, but its pretty rare for anyone to be that dominant let alone NU.

Maybe I need a better understanding of what "dominant" is in relation to former Husker domination.

Outside of Alabama, and maybe OSU, what other program are we considering as dominant in such a way that NU was during the 90s? Certainly there are a few programs over the last couple of years that seem to be consistently near the top: Mich St, Clemson, FSU, LSU, Stanford, Oregon, Oklahoma(?), TCU/Baylor(?). Maybe I'm missing a couple of teams, but I don't see any of those outside of Alabama especially, and maybe OSU, as dominating the way NU dominated.

Its not impossible for NU to get back to that, but its pretty rare for anyone to be that dominant let alone NU.

Maybe I need a better understanding of what "dominant" is in relation to former Husker domination.

U$C came close, especially if you count that season of vacated losses. Say what you will about Saban - he's nowhere near so irritating as "Poodle" Pete on the sidelines!

Specify "National Dominance".

If NC, no.

Top10 ratings ........ probably no.

Top25, occasional yes.

Not a single vote in 2015 Coaches poll (others receiving votes). Massey Composite (90 rankings): 48th http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

BTW, what year ended sellout streak?

Really? With all the advantages this program has going for it, and "occasionally top 25" is the ceiling your giving the program?

Again, the negativity, and overall outlook this fan base has for Nebraska's football program is baffling....

U$C came close, especially if you count that season of vacated losses. Say what you will about Saban - he's nowhere near so irritating as "Poodle" Pete on the sidelines!

Yes, I'd say USC and also the run Miami had in the later 80s early 90s . Currently you have Bama and OSU but also one could include those schools mentioned hspwr post as being near dominant as they have consistently been in the picture the last 5 years.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but when I think national dominance I think winning/playing for national championships multiple times over a relatively short period in time.

Do I think the stars could align and one year with an Iowa 2015 type schedule we could go on a run and even win the playoff? Sure. But another dynastic stretch like TO had, no way.

I think we can get back to respectability year in and year out and have some good years in the top 10. But the landscape has tilted so far against us at this point, a multi year run of dominance seems like a pipe dream

If NC, no.

Top25, occasional yes.

Not a single vote in 2015 Coaches poll (others receiving votes). Massey Composite (90 rankings): 48th http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Really? With all the advantages this program has going for it, and "occasionally top 25" is the ceiling your giving the program?

Again, the negativity, and overall outlook this fan base has for Nebraska's football program is baffling....

past recent history ....

2002: #NR

2003: #19

2004: #NR

2005: #24

2006: #NR

2007: #NR

2008: #NR

2009: #14

2010: #19

2011: #24

2012: #23

2013: #25

2014: #NR

2015: #NR

No Top10. Some days, in fact today, removed my scarlet color glasses

If NC, no.

Top25, occasional yes.

past recent history ....

2002: #NR

2003: #19

2004: #NR

2005: #24

2006: #NR

2007: #NR

2008: #NR

2009: #14

2010: #19

2011: #24

2012: #23

2013: #25

2014: #NR

2015: #NR

No Top10. Some days, in fact today, removed my scarlet color glasses

I'm well aware of Nebraska's recent struggles, I just refuse to believe that our recent past is the new ceiling for this program....

The real issue with is going from 9-4 seasons to a 6-7 season is that we could always say "Yeah, we won 9 though. We aren't quite back yet, but we will be!".

Now that we have taken the first step towards getting back to relevance, it feels unfamiliar. The first step was a hard one, hopefully the next step can be smoother.

I don't see how we have taken the first step towards getting back to relevance. What was that first step?
Dumping the staff that couldn't get over the hump. If Riley isn't the gut to get us back in the discussion he can be the catalyst.

I agree that Bo and the last staff wasn't going to get us over the hump. But, I don't see how Riley is the "catalyst" at getting NU over the hump. The hiring of the coach after Bo was just as important as firing Bo in the first place. If Riley isn't the guy that gets NU to that next step, we are in the same boat as we were with Bo.
We are hardly in the same boat.

I say he is the catalyst because if he ends up being a success here (compete for conference trophy and win one) before retiring the next guy has an easy task continuing the work. If he fails, we will fire him and finally make that big name hire that turns heads and sparks recruiting (if Riley hasn't already sparked it).

Bo made the program complacent. We knew what we were getting year in and out, so did the media. Recruiting was average, just like our win/loss record. He had the passion, just not all the proper skills and personnel. We may have that in Riley but it's still too early to tell.

This is such a nonsensical post in that it's presumptions stand in direct contrast to what we know of our own history. If We went off of the "we know, and the media knows, what we've got" then we would have fired Osborne in '91 or '92.

It's impossible to know what a first time coach would have done in his 8th year, but I think we saw the floor with Bo, not the ceiling.

Now we have an older guy in the twighlight of his career, and he registered a season that is consistent with his historical results. We just have to how that is the floor of his performance at NU, but I see little evidence at this point that NU will win Riley his first ever American football championship (as a HC or staff member).