Eichorst: Building Football Program is "a Process"

Mavric

"Very, very optimistic" is how Eichorst described his feelings during a sit-down interview with the Journal Star.

"Anytime you have a transition, you’re not quite sure how they’re going to play out," he continued. "I knew this: I knew we had a really experienced, respected coach who would do and say things that we could all be proud of.
"The game is a humbling game. Football is humbling. Inches, seconds. There are certain things you have control over and other things you didn't. … But I like where we're at. You certainly have to reflect on where you came from, and I have a lot of faith in Mike and his staff to make adjustments."

LJS

He spoke very generally...to the point he could almost have been talking about any sport (except for the bit about it being a game of inches and such). I'm not going to fault the guy for showing faith and keeping a low profile. After all, "[w]e've been chasing championships since 1999."

Can't say I agree with Eichorst here:

We were in every ballgame with a chance to win every ballgame, which I think is the standard here.

There's been a boatload of Nebraska "fans" that have been parroting that exact same line... word for word... over the last few months.

Now we know where they got their "Talking Points".

We were in every ballgame with a chance to win every ballgame, which I think is the standard here.

NU "shouldn't be in the ballgame" with teams like Illinois, BYU, Purdue, and even Northwestern. NU should be getting enough talent and coaching so that those are no contests in the 4th quarter and not coming down to the last minutes.

• Fire 7

NU "shouldn't be in the ballgame" with teams like Illinois, BYU, Purdue, and even Northwestern. NU should be getting enough talent and coaching so that those are no contests in the 4th quarter and not coming down to the last minutes.

Say that to Stanford or any other program that gets tripped up by Northwestern....they are good for one-three of those types of wins each year.

I get the frustration, but with a new coaching staff I am trying very hard to be patient. This coming up year will be a better measuring stick.

The big question I have (which has probably been asked several times on here) if the BYU game does not end the way it did, does the year go differently? Do they have complete faith in themselves and the system to respond when things are not going well??

Eichorst can take his low expectations and ride on out of town.........sir, WE EXPECT TO DOMINATE HERE AT NU!!

• Fire 1

LOL.....and the fan base over reaction to a few words continues.

I highly doubt if Eichorst meant that "being in" games with Illinois and Purdue are the expectations of Nebraska. However, "being in" games with the best teams and having a chance to win those games is and we were also in those. In fact....we did beat the conference champ.

So...while you want to waller around crying the blues and whining about waaaa waaaa waaaa a Purdue...Illinois, some people choose to view the cup from the other side.

Sorry if some of us don't choose to be miserably depressed fans.

And...no.....nobody was "happy" or "satisfied" with last year.

• Fire 4

I get the desire to want MR to win and do well here. He is easy to root for and to be proud of, points made by SE.

But when it comes down to it, we have been waiting for certain lines of logic, that border on promises, to ring true. MR's record on those things is worse that his won-lost record.

We were told that he wouldn't force an offensive system on players who couldn't run it. That was B.S.

We were told that he was an experienced coach and said experience gives him a competitive advantage. But we lost a lot of close games where experience, one would assume, makes the difference.

We were told that he appreciated the culture here. Then we were told it had to change because it was a destructive culture left by Bo.

We were told MR liked the players he had, was impressed by our depth at a number of positions, and thought TA could be a great asset in the run game. Then he said and did things that ran completely contrary to that.

Lastly, we were told he could recruit. We were told that he had long standing relationships with all sorts of prospects who loved MR, but simply couldn't agree to come play for the Beavers. We were told that our facilities and support structures would be the difference and we would get those guys. All of that.... B.S. MR did what he could and admirably was able to keep Bo's class together. He added almost nothing to that class. This class lacks star power and we wonder where all those recruits were that he had great relationships with. MR is struggling to sign a class that's as good as what Bo did and Bo didn't exactly set the world on fire with his smile. MR has the Huskers rated No. 8 in the latest Rivals.com ratings.... for the Big 10. Guess we should all thank our lucky stars there are 14 teams in this league.

I can see us going up a spot in recruiting, but not much beyond middle of the pack in the league.

I look at what Tim is doing for the basketball team. We are in the middle of the pack for the league and, if we can keep our momentum going and catch a break, we might make the NCAA tourney. For me that's high times for the Husker cagers. If we win an NCAA game, that's a bonus.

The Husker football team is taking on an image under Riley where a middle of the pack finish in the league and a bowl game of any kind represent high times and a win in the bowl is icing on the cake. Forget the notion of playing for a national title for a second. High times for this program for me represented competing for, but not always winning the conference title, and more often that not, making a bowl game like one of the non semifinal New Year's Six.

I am frustrated because I don't think that expectation is going to be met anytime soon.

• Fire 5

I highly doubt if Eichorst meant that "being in" games with Illinois and Purdue are the expectations of Nebraska. However, "being in" games with the best teams and having a chance to win those games is and we were also in those. In fact....we did beat the conference champ.

If he didn't mean it then perhaps he shouldn't have said it.

• Fire 1

If he didn't mean it then perhaps he shouldn't have said it.

Were we "in the game" with the best teams we played and one that won the conference and played in the NC playoffs?

• Fire 1

If I were in charge, that statement alone would have gotten him fired. A .500 career coach with an AD that likes a "chance to win every game"........clown doesn't even begin to describe him.

• Fire 3