Rank our last 4 coaches

Redder

Here is my opinion

1.Pelini- Very mediocre obviously. That's not to mention his off the field actions. I think he deserved to be fired, but sadly I think he's our best coach since Osborne. Since Pelini took over a team that had 2 losing seasons in 4 years while Solich took over a team that had won 3 NCs in 4 years, I put him higher than Solich.

2.Solich A lot of people here seem to think he was a good coach, but I don't see why he should be considered any better than our version of Larry Coker. (Who everybody cites as the best example of taking down a great program.) Actually I think Solich is worse than our version of Coker since Coker won one nearly two national titles and finished with a higher win % than Solich. And Coker didn't inherit a program that had won national titles in 3 of the previous 4 years either.

3.Riley- Pretty big gap between him and Solich. Solich and Pelini were at least respectable coaches, but I'm not sure Riley is. However, he hasn't coached long enough to put him on the Callahan bad level.

4. Bill Callahan- God awful coach

1. Solich. While he was in over his head here, he was still a better coach for Nebraska than the rest.

2. Pelini. His nine-win streak is not for nothing. He did as much harm as good here, and would be lower on the list if it weren't for Callahan.

3. Callahan. A fine coach for his skill set, but Nebraska was never a good fit for him. Both parties would have been far better off without each other.

Riley's only been here one season. Can't rank him yet.

• Fire 1

1. Solich - even if the program took a downturn under his watch, and a noticeable one, he is still the only coach since Osborne to pilot the program to a national title appearance. He also won a conference title and helped cultivate a Heisman trophy winner. He may have ridden the success of Osborne's recruits, but, his accomplishments are still better than the rest.

2. Pelini - never lost few than 9 games, helped coach one of the best defenses and best college football players in recent years and had few off the field problems. And for as much as it sucked not being able to consistently win the big one, I'll admit that he sure made games interesting sometimes.

3. Callahan - he (so far) lasted longer than Riley and made it to a Big 12 title game, even if he didn't win it.

4. Riley - I don't think any one in good conscience can put him above any of the other other coaches, yet. A 6-7 season with uncertainty moving forward is enough to keep him under the rest.

• Fire 2

1. Solich - even if the program took a downturn under his watch, and a noticeable one, he is still the only coach since Osborne to pilot the program to a national title. He also won a conference title and helped cultivate a Heisman trophy winner. He may have ridden the success of Osborne's recruits, but, his accomplishments are still better than the rest.

2. Pelini - never lost few than 9 games, helped coach one of the best defenses and best college football players in recent years and had few off the field problems. And for as much as it sucked not being able to consistently win the big one, I'll admit that he sure made games interesting sometimes.

3. Callahan - he (so far) lasted longer than Riley and made it to a Big 12 title game, even if he didn't win it.

4. Riley - I don't think any one in good conscience can put him above any of the other other coaches, yet. A 6-7 season with uncertainty moving forward is enough to keep him under the rest.

I assume you mean National Title game appearance. But, yeah, I think Solich is the best of the bunch. It could have been interesting to see what would have happened after 2003, with a new group of assistants and Frank taking on more of a CEO role.

Here is my opinion

1.Pelini- Very mediocre obviously. That's not to mention his off the field actions. I think he deserved to be fired, but sadly I think he's our best coach since Osborne. Since Pelini took over a team that had 2 losing seasons in 4 years while Solich took over a team that had won 3 NCs in 4 years, I put him higher than Solich.

2.Solich A lot of people here seem to think he was a good coach, but I don't see why he should be considered any better than our version of Larry Coker. (Who everybody cites as the best example of taking down a great program.) Actually I think Solich is worse than our version of Coker since Coker won one nearly two national titles and finished with a higher win % than Solich. And Coker didn't inherit a program that had won national titles in 3 of the previous 4 years either.

3.Riley- Pretty big gap between him and Solich. Solich and Pelini were at least respectable coaches, but I'm not sure Riley is. However, he hasn't coached long enough to put him on the Callahan bad level.

4. Bill Callahan- God awful coach

The last three were fired that should tell you all you need to know.....Not sure how you can rank Riley already after one season. That gap you think you see between MR and FS is that Solich inherited a Heisman winning QB

• Fire 1

1. Solich - even if the program took a downturn under his watch, and a noticeable one, he is still the only coach since Osborne to pilot the program to a national title. He also won a conference title and helped cultivate a Heisman trophy winner. He may have ridden the success of Osborne's recruits, but, his accomplishments are still better than the rest.

I assume you mean National Title game appearance. But, yeah, I think Solich is the best of the bunch. It could have been interesting to see what would have happened after 2003, with a new group of assistants and Frank taking on more of a CEO role.

I would agree wt this: Solich with a new group of coaches turned it around in 2003. Yes we lost big to KSU and a couple of others but it was vastly improved overall. Stupid Peterson wasn't patient enough to see the process through. So now we have to be patient once again. But I understand Frank had other demons and maybe the AD couldn't look the other way.

Too early to rank Riley but he ended his 1st year better than BC did. I would have to rank him ahead of BC just because he 'gets it' - the Nebraska culture. BC never did nor it appeared ever desired to - that was his downfall besides being too loyal to a failed DC.

Thanks! Fixed.

1. Solich: I think even his second career has shown that he was pretty decent. I think he is closing in on 100 wins at Ohio...I think?

2. Pelini: Winning % has to count for something...but he clearly sucked at dealing with the fans and media and winning games that we were super hyped about.

3. Riley: I am not sure why it is hard for some to rank him...it is not his first year as a head coach. I love that he might pull in a top 15 class.

4. BC: Like Bo he sucked with the fans and media...unlike Bo he couldn't win games.

I actually think Riley and Crew are very competent coaches, despite the 1st season record(which could have easily included 3-4 more in the win column). In particular, I've revisited the UCLA bowl game("Singing Chickens Bowl"--see below) and I thought they conceived of and carried out a supurb ground and pound gameplan to near perfection. When you look at the sideline, things seem to be calm, collected and in control. It appears, given their collective experience on the college and pro levels, that there isn't any stage too big for Riley and crew. I'm left with a feeling that this Riley thing might actually work out, especially if he can improve the recruiting sphere. I like Langsdorf a ton and hope we can keep him on board for at least enough years to assume some semblence of continuity with the pro style scheme--with, hopefully, a continued healthy dose of the lethal zone read option game. Which reminds me, can POB potentially run the zone read?(I hope so).

You know, the coaching carrossel business isn't all that it's cracked up to be and, therefore, I think we should support this coaching staff 100%, provided they meet, starting next year, the 9-10 win cut off quota of which we have become accustomed here in the Big Red Nation. OK, I could live with 8 wins next year, though I think we are poised and should be the favorite to win our division and get to the CCG. 10 wins next year, maybe more, is realistic, IMHO.

Seriously, who else could do better @ NE? Everybody's all ga ga re: Harbaugh, but would we really want that guy? I don't think so. Yeah, he's got all the brash and bravado but he's also kind of a bullsh#t artist in some ways and doesn't "work so well with others". And you never know if he'll just jump ship after a few years when he gets bored. As to other considerations, I honestly don't think Fuente or Hermen, or McElwain, etc, couldn't do any better than Riley et al, so I think we should just chill out and support the coaches we have. Who knows, maybe they will get us back in contention, I think they have a good vision. Again, recruiting is key.

I think Riley's persona is a perfect fit for Nebraska, in the mold of OZ, Solich, Cook, Norey, and I suppose you could include Tim miles in that too. Riley is a teaching coach, not a screaming coach, and that is a good thing.When I think of who else we could bring in as HC for the program that could do better given our recruiting disadvantages, I'm really at a loss. Riley and Crew are a good fit as far as I can tell. Let's give them their due. Who's with me?

(p.s., I think Ozigbo came of age a bit vs UCLA: really liked what I was seeing from him. He's a prototypical pro style ground and pound RB and I see why Riley recruited him)

As to the previous coaches, I think they were all very good--albeit something didn't seem to be right with Cosgrove's Ds, oh well.

foster-farms-hed-2013.jpg

Anyway, my ratings:

1) Riley

2) BOP

3) Frank

4) Bill