2-Riley

3-Pelini

4-Solich

Play Calling

1-Solich

2-Pelini/Riley (Riley could easily move up

99-Callahan

Say what you want about Callahan but the man knew how to call a game

I dunno, Cali was kind of all over the map with his play calling. He seemed to prefer the passing game, but never really established much of an offensive identity @ NE. He could easily go 8 or 10 consecutive passes and follow that with 8-10 rushes. I think he liked to score fast, and really, NE has to be a primarily ground and pound team--that's our identity--especially in November.

Solich is #1 because he actually won a conference title.

After that, any coach that doesn't do AT LEAST that are all the same in my book.

Didn't Solich win the conference with mostly OZ's recruits? Recruiting dropped off under Frank's last few years and that was a problem. Not to say that he couldn't revive it over time, but it did drop off. But Frank's main problem was that he was a guy w/o a name following a legendary coach who had just gone 60-3 and won 3(could've easily been 5) natty's in the 90s. Tough act to follow, to say the least.

This is a stupid argument. He still had to coach them didn't he?

Yeah, I don't think it's a stupid argument, but I appreciate your feedback thereof. As they say, gotta have the Jimmies and Joes to get anything done, gotta have the groceries to cook the meal, and, like I said, he wasn't getting it done on his own so much. He was lucky that Crouch was a NE kid. Their was a significant drop off in his recruiting. However, one could argue that Pedey was the prime factor in Franky's demise.

1. Solich - even if the program took a downturn under his watch, and a noticeable one, he is still the only coach since Osborne to pilot the program to a national title appearance. He also won a conference title and helped cultivate a Heisman trophy winner. He may have ridden the success of Osborne's recruits, but, his accomplishments are still better than the rest.

2. Pelini - never lost few than 9 games, helped coach one of the best defenses and best college football players in recent years and had few off the field problems. And for as much as it sucked not being able to consistently win the big one, I'll admit that he sure made games interesting sometimes.

3. Callahan - he (so far) lasted longer than Riley and made it to a Big 12 title game, even if he didn't win it.

4. Riley - I don't think any one in good conscience can put him above any of the other other coaches, yet. A 6-7 season with uncertainty moving forward is enough to keep him under the rest.

He shouldn't be put below the other coaches, yet, either.

1. Solich - even if the program took a downturn under his watch, and a noticeable one, he is still the only coach since Osborne to pilot the program to a national title appearance. He also won a conference title and helped cultivate a Heisman trophy winner. He may have ridden the success of Osborne's recruits, but, his accomplishments are still better than the rest.

2. Pelini - never lost few than 9 games, helped coach one of the best defenses and best college football players in recent years and had few off the field problems. And for as much as it sucked not being able to consistently win the big one, I'll admit that he sure made games interesting sometimes.

3. Callahan - he (so far) lasted longer than Riley and made it to a Big 12 title game, even if he didn't win it.

4. Riley - I don't think any one in good conscience can put him above any of the other other coaches, yet. A 6-7 season with uncertainty moving forward is enough to keep him under the rest.

Not even solich? comon.

Pelini worst speaker in the history of Nebraska football. I suspect he was the lowest intelect as well.

Pelini wasn't stupid. He was prideful and Italian.

Too bad, because he was clearly capable of better.

Pelini was handed perhaps the most awkward spotlight in the history of college football when Nebraska played Penn State it its first game without Joe Paterno. There were so many ways for that to go wrong that a coach would have been tempted to say nothing. But Pelini handled the circus exceptionally well, represented Nebraska with class and even delivered a victory.

That's my highlight for the little bastard.

• Fire 5

I don't think Solich inherited a Heisman-caliber QB. He inherited a poor passing quarterback who wouldn't start on most Power-5 teams and gave him a team and a scheme that won him the Heisman. Solich was granted a grudging bit of patience in his transitional year -- we weren't used to 4 loss seasons! -- but his 1999 season was as good as all but a handful of Osborne's. I thought is was a coaching achievement to get that modest-by-Nebraska standards 2001 Nebraska team into the NC game, where they faced one of the most talented teams in college football history. But that was the point where the Nebraska defense had started giving up up points in huge bunches, a trend we haven't really stopped till this day.

Bo Pelini did everything we asked of him his first two seasons, most importantly restoring the Nebraska defense to nationally heralded levels. He took the talent he inherited and made it better. That's what good coaches do. Then he proceeded to get less -- often much less -- out of his own recruits. He blamed everybody else, most notably the fans. That's what bad coaches do. It appears that the bad part followed him to Youngstown State, so maybe it's not the state of Nebraska's fault.

Bill Callahan needed a soft place to land after the Raiders. Steve Pedersen needed a coach people had seen on TV in the Super Bowl to cover up the fact that Nebraska couldn't land its top prospects. Callahan never really wanted to be here and it showed. Some folks are made to be assistants.

Mike Riley has his work cut out for him. I'm looking forward to next season.

/thread Mods can go ahead and lock it up after this post

I suspect he was the lowest intelect as well.

Wow
  • Fire 1

Not even solich? comon.

They have the exact same number of 7 loss seasons at Nebraska.

That's why he's at the bottom of my list. I guess I could go 1. Solich 2. Pelini 3. Callahan and Riley undecided, though. His story has yet to be completely told.

But, if Riley were fired today right now, he'd go 4th on the list. Don't see how Riley's one season would go above Callahan at least reaching a conference title game.

Not even solich? comon.
No. IMO Riley shouldn't be ranked until he's not coaching here anymore. We can talk about likelihoods if we want be we don't know that Solich is the better Nebraska coach because Riley isn't done yet. Solich went 6-6 once (or 7-7? Don't remember). We don't know that Riley won't have seasons as good as or better than Solich's best.

That's why he's at the bottom of my list. I guess I could go 1. Solich 2. Pelini 3. Callahan and Riley undecided, though. His story has yet to be completely told.

But, if Riley were fired today right now, he'd go 4th on the list. Don't see how Riley's one season would go above Callahan at least reaching a conference title game.

I guess I can see the argument. The topic shouldn't have been so vague though. If we rate them on their current accomplishments at Nebraska then everyone would/should put Riley last but then there is no point having him in the conversation at all.

A better topic might be: where do you think Riley will end up ranked?

I sometimes wonder how TO would have been ranked back somewhere around 1990? The 2003 season really wasn't a lot different than the 1990 season. It really has been beaten like a dead horse, but Solich's recruiting wasn't nearly as bad as some try to make it out to be. He recruited his fair share of players that went on to play in the NFL. A friend of mine who played back in the late 80's told me in practice when the team squared off he always felt like Solich was the better coach/play caller. While he never had the presence of TO, he does have a brilliant football mind. Solich is the only coach to beat Texas since the Big 12 was formed.

Here is my opinion

1.Pelini- Very mediocre obviously. That's not to mention his off the field actions. I think he deserved to be fired, but sadly I think he's our best coach since Osborne. Since Pelini took over a team that had 2 losing seasons in 4 years while Solich took over a team that had won 3 NCs in 4 years, I put him higher than Solich.

2.Solich A lot of people here seem to think he was a good coach, but I don't see why he should be considered any better than our version of Larry Coker. (Who everybody cites as the best example of taking down a great program.) Actually I think Solich is worse than our version of Coker since Coker won one nearly two national titles and finished with a higher win % than Solich. And Coker didn't inherit a program that had won national titles in 3 of the previous 4 years either.

3.Riley- Pretty big gap between him and Solich. Solich and Pelini were at least respectable coaches, but I'm not sure Riley is. However, he hasn't coached long enough to put him on the Callahan bad level.

4. Bill Callahan- God awful coach

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!