Rank our last 4 coaches

Redder

1) Bob Devaney

If you want to talk about the guys who instantly turned a losing program around, maintained high level consistency, won two national championships and went out on top, while managing to be fiery and foul-mouthed, utterly charming to the press and uniformly beloved by his players, he's the only guy.

Don't forget that he would drive his Cadillac through the campus walk ways to get to his South Stadium office while AD. #shortcut #hedidntgiveaneff

• Fire 1

OK

Hypothetically, You are the AD. Dr. Evil has just kidnapped your chick and you have ONE year to win the NC. Which of the four do you hire Right Now.

That's a good way of putting the question.

I'd probably take Riley in that situation. Although it was with the Canadian Football League, he's at least won a championship as a head coach, something none of the other three have done.

I believe Solich was a few fumbles away from a NC in 99.

OK

Hypothetically, You are the AD. Dr. Evil has just kidnapped your chick and you have ONE year to win the NC. Which of the four do you hire Right Now.

I'd probably take Riley in that situation. Although it was with the Canadian Football League, he's at least won a championship as a head coach, something none of the other three have done.

Solich was an incredibly daring 4th down play by Texas when half the Huskers had the flu away from an NC in 99.

That team ended up 12-1, ranked #2/#3, avenged the Texas loss with a beatdown in the CCG, and beat 5 Top 20 (and two Top 6) teams.

They also lead the NCAA in fumbles that year. And almost went undefeated.

1) Bob Devaney

If you want to talk about the guys who instantly turned a losing program around, maintained high level consistency, won two national championships and went out on top, while managing to be fiery and foul-mouthed, utterly charming to the press and uniformly beloved by his players, he's the only guy.

Bourbon Bob is the best.

OK

Solich was an incredibly daring 4th down play by Texas when half the Huskers had the flu away from an NC in 99.

That team ended up 12-1, ranked #2/#3, avenged the Texas loss with a beatdown in the CCG, and beat 5 Top 20 (and two Top 6) teams.

You are confusing 96 and 99.

OK

You are confusing 96 and 99.

Yeah, I flipped pieces of the '96 and '99 Texas games, but the rest of it is correct.

OK

Given the roster as it stands now, I'd have to take Solich under these circumstances before Riley. In a couple of years with Riley's recruits, I'd probably take Riley.

1. Solich - even if the program took a downturn under his watch, and a noticeable one, he is still the only coach since Osborne to pilot the program to a national title appearance. He also won a conference title and helped cultivate a Heisman trophy winner. He may have ridden the success of Osborne's recruits, but, his accomplishments are still better than the rest.

2. Pelini - never lost few than 9 games, helped coach one of the best defenses and best college football players in recent years and had few off the field problems. And for as much as it sucked not being able to consistently win the big one, I'll admit that he sure made games interesting sometimes.

3. Callahan - he (so far) lasted longer than Riley and made it to a Big 12 title game, even if he didn't win it.

4. Riley - I don't think any one in good conscience can put him above any of the other other coaches, yet. A 6-7 season with uncertainty moving forward is enough to keep him under the rest.

This or Riley unrated until his tenure is done.

Overall "Head Coach"

1. Riley 2. Bill Callahan 3. Frank Solich 4. Bo Pelini

I didn't have time to finish before the posting above was made but:

As a recruiter to Nebraska:

1. Bill Callahan 2. Bo Pelini 3. M. Riley (assuming he lands a 'good' class in the top 25 as it now appears this year) 4 Frank Solich (he was an awful recruiter - period).

As a 'Game" Strategist/Play calling:

1. M. Riley 2. Bo Pelini 3. B. Callahan (he was superb in the last two minutes of each half but otherwise 'mediocre at best'. 4. Frank Solich (he had about 6 plays (QB run right and left and IB run right and left and QB scramble and QB throw it to one of two receivers sent down field.

As a public representative of the team and University and State of Nebraska:

1. Solich 2. Riley 3. Callahan 4. Pelini (he was of course awful).

As a 'CEO" or Manager of Staff and Players as members of the team:

1. Riley (based on what we've seen so far of course). 2. Callahan (he is an NFL type and should avoid college altogether). 3. Pelini (just not a CEO type person - lacks the personality to be a good head coach obviously). 4. Solich (he fired so excellent coaches trying to blame them for his failings as a recruiter).

Pelini worst speaker in the history of Nebraska football. I suspect he was the lowest intelect as well.

Pelini wasn't stupid. He was prideful and Italian.

Too bad, because he was clearly capable of better.

Pelini was handed perhaps the most awkward spotlight in the history of college football when Nebraska played Penn State it its first game without Joe Paterno. There were so many ways for that to go wrong that a coach would have been tempted to say nothing. But Pelini handled the circus exceptionally well, represented Nebraska with class and even delivered a victory.

That's my highlight for the little bastard.

Im not sure what you mean prideful and italian but I will give you the PSU game. That was truely the most gentlemenly act he ever did and he deserves kudos for doing it, and Jack of course.