Cutting the Cord

Does it get NBC/ABC/CBS/FOX, ESPN and BTN?

I feel like between Vue, Hulu and Netflix I can pay half of what I'm getting gouged for by DirecTV and not lose anything.

It doesn't have the free channels. BTN is on their 2nd package. I think it's $35. There are also individual channels that can be added.

I feel like between Vue, Hulu and Netflix I can pay half of what I'm getting gouged for by DirecTV and not lose anything.

Vue has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. (I've made lots of bad ones)

NBC/ABC/CBS/FOX are all things you would need "bunny ears" for, which is quite simple.

NBC/ABC/FOX all have an on-demand channel, so you will still be able to watch "Dancing With the Stars" and "Beverly Hills Wives" the day after on those channels.

BTN + alternatives and all of the ESPN's are available at the $35 dollar price tag. I believe you can get a free 7 day trial, I would just try it out. You might need to upgrade your internet a tick, but it's so worth it.

If you look back at this thread, I ended up buying out the last year of my DirecTV last summer and switching to Vue. I've already recovered all of that money I spent to buy-out in savings. I'll stick with Vue until DirecTV offers a great deal that I can't pass up, such as "locked-in" at a price for life.

Like you said, combining Vue & Netflix is plenty of TV and half the cost.

Vue has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. (I've made lots of bad ones)

NBC/ABC/CBS/FOX are all things you would need "bunny ears" for, which is quite simple.

NBC/ABC/FOX all have an on-demand channel, so you will still be able to watch "Dancing With the Stars" and "Beverly Hills Wives" the day after on those channels.

BTN + alternatives and all of the ESPN's are available at the $35 dollar price tag. I believe you can get a free 7 day trial, I would just try it out. You might need to upgrade your internet a tick, but it's so worth it.

If you look back at this thread, I ended up buying out the last year of my DirecTV last summer and switching to Vue. I've already recovered all of that money I spent to buy-out in savings. I'll stick with Vue until DirecTV offers a great deal that I can't pass up, such as "locked-in" at a price for life.

Thank you for this information… I currently have DirecTV at a crazy low rate because I was going to leave them so it's down to $49 a month… But when that changes and we all know it well I'm going to look into all the things you just mentioned.

Yeah I gave them the opportunity to keep me by calling and asking the Retention Dept. if they could lower my bill. Basically wouldn't do it without me agreeing to a 1-2yr contract. They like to jack rates every month when you do that sooooo nope!

When I call to cancel they would have to offer me $50 a month for at least a year to keep me at this point.

Thank you for this information… I currently have DirecTV at a crazy low rate because I was going to leave them so it's down to $49 a month… But when that changes and we all know it well I'm going to look into all the things you just mentioned.

Yeah, that's not bad.

I do love DirecTV's systems they have in place and the organization of their channel lineups, DVR, etc. The problem is the cost. It's just too ridonkulous. Best of luck to you.

Yeah, that's not bad.

I do love DirecTV's systems they have in place and the organization of their channel lineups, DVR, etc. The problem is the cost. It's just too ridonkulous. Best of luck to you.

My bill was at like 175!

Can vouch for everything Matty said about Vue. It's great. Even at 10 Mbps download speed (standard here, before we upgraded), we rarely had issues with buffering. Now at 30 it works great.

Goes out intermittently. I'm convinced it has to do with our crappy ISP and the oldish building... may have sub-optimal wiring. Early on, we also ran into some problems with not being able to access our guide or shows... basically we got an error code and Vue was non-functional. Support was great, though, and helped us find a solution quickly. That happening is extremely rare now... I'm wondering if it may have been a bug in an earlier Vue app build Sony put out.

One great things about Vue - unlimited DVR in the Cloud. You hit a button, add a show to My Shows, and you can either rewatch the recorded show or get it On Demand whenever you want. Varies from show to show which, and On Demand can have some wonky features like not able to fast-forward... I know for a fact SNL does this when I go back to rewatch On Demand.

DeWiz mentioned a 28 day storage limit. I don't know if or when they got away from that, but it doesn't appear to be the case anymore. I still have recorded movies/shows I added when we first got it way back in the fall and can still watch them right now.

As he said, most broadcast networks are On Demand only. Major media markets have negotiated for the rights to air broadcast channels live, but Nebraska is largely not so lucky. We did recently get CBS live on Vue here in the central part of the state, so that's pretty nice I guess.

Can also vouch for the antenna Knapp listed in post #79. That's actually the exact model we have. It really does come in great when it's picking up the signal. Ours fades out intermittently, but the towers we need to point it at are on the other side of our building, so there's not much we can do. We you do get it angled right, the picture is just great on those.

Between Vue, Netflix/Hulu, and an antenna, you'll probably have access to more than you do with DirecTV. You'll get all NU games between your antenna and what's on ESPN channels or BTN. The only thing that could trip you up is Sunday Ticket, if you wanted that, since it's DirecTV's thing, but I was actually able to purchase it separately for use on my computers/iPad/phone as a student. So you may be able to get that service if you wanted it - I think they market it towards those who live in apartments.

Any other questions just let me know. Good luck! Cut it Boner brother!

• Fire 1

Can vouch for everything Matty said about Vue. It's great. Even at 10 Mbps download speed (standard here, before we upgraded), we rarely had issues with buffering. Now at 30 it works great.

Goes out intermittently. I'm convinced it has to do with our crappy ISP and the oldish building... may have sub-optimal wiring. Early on, we also ran into some problems with not being able to access our guide or shows... basically we got an error code and Vue was non-functional. Support was great, though, and helped us find a solution quickly. That happening is extremely rare now... I'm wondering if it may have been a bug in an earlier Vue app build Sony put out.

One great things about Vue - unlimited DVR in the Cloud. You hit a button, add a show to My Shows, and you can either rewatch the recorded show or get it On Demand whenever you want. Varies from show to show which, and On Demand can have some wonky features like not able to fast-forward... I know for a fact SNL does this when I go back to rewatch On Demand.

DeWiz mentioned a 28 day storage limit. I don't know if or when they got away from that, but it doesn't appear to be the case anymore. I still have recorded movies/shows I added when we first got it way back in the fall and can still watch them right now.

As he said, most broadcast networks are On Demand only. Major media markets have negotiated for the rights to air broadcast channels live, but Nebraska is largely not so lucky. We did recently get CBS live on Vue here in the central part of the state, so that's pretty nice I guess.

Can also vouch for the antenna Knapp listed in post #79. That's actually the exact model we have. It really does come in great when it's picking up the signal. Ours fades out intermittently, but the towers we need to point it at are on the other side of our building, so there's not much we can do. We you do get it angled right, the picture is just great on those.

Between Vue, Netflix/Hulu, and an antenna, you'll probably have access to more than you do with DirecTV. You'll get all NU games between your antenna and what's on ESPN channels or BTN. The only thing that could trip you up is Sunday Ticket, if you wanted that, since it's DirecTV's thing, but I was actually able to purchase it separately for use on my computers/iPad/phone as a student. So you may be able to get that service if you wanted it - I think they market it towards those who live in apartments.

Do they have Redzone?

All the talk about ESPN and the cord-cutting discussion in this thread has me thinking about my DirecTV. Maybe I'm just an old guy, but I like the convenience of being able to watch multiple TV's in the house, so I am willing to pay a little extra per month for my DirecTV service. I also was able to bundle my DirecTV with my Century Link internet, and saved a bunch of cash there. I am sure there will be a point that I strongly consider the cord-cutting, but I am not at that point yet. If DirecTV can keep offering me discounts to remain a customer, I will stick with them.

Do they have Redzone?

Yup. That's why I ended up getting.