CFN: 5 Keys For The Cornhuskers 2016 Schedule

Saunders

as said, schedule is much tougher and don't expect POB to come to the rescue........he will need time to develop and if MR forces him in early, he will throw pics and see sacks........

with our O and D lines so young and w/o experience, honestly, you can figure 5-7 again.........don't get caught up in the preseason hype we so often see........it's fun to be excited, new seasons are always well anticipated, but keep it real........hope i am wrong, but we're building, not reloading.

Please, point to the 7 losses you envision.

Fresno State[/size]Wyoming[/size]Oregon[/size]at Northwestern[/size]Illinois[/size]at Indiana[/size]Purdue[/size]at Wisconsin[/size]at Ohio State[/size]Minnesota[/size]Maryland[/size]at Iowa[/size]

all 6 of the bolded games are "loseable". I predict we will be underdogs in 4 (all but at NW and at Indiana). Lose the 4 that we are underdogs in, lose the other two "toss ups" and throw in an unexpected loss you can easily get to 7 losses.

After watching last season, you can't say that is not a realistic possibility. We lost at Purdue and at Illinois, two games everybody had as guaranteed Ws. Until this staff proves otherwise, I do not view that many games as sure fire wins.

If you really consider Indiana as a legitimate threat I have no interest in debating with you.

Did you consider Purdue and Illinois a threat in 2015? If you don't look at the reality of where this team is, I have no interest in debating you either.

Illinois- Lost even though the game was practically over due to miscommunication between 1st year staff and QB. Bad luck but it happened.

Purdue- Defense continued to struggle which caused the loss. We still hung 40+, on the road, with basically a 3rd string QB.

Now, do you honestly think Nebraska doesn't go 3-0 against Illinois, Purdue and Indiana?

I just smirk when our previous record gets used as proof of how the following season will shake out. Understandably that formula worked under Bo.

When we win 10 games this year it will be a slew of "I may have complained for 9 months and derailed a bunch of threads, but I'm so happy to be proven wrong. Go Big Red!"

It's not a "proof" of next yrs win loss total; it's a call on the attitude, direction, capability, and realistic look of where we have been the last 2-4 yrs.

And that look is that we have lost games we "shouldn't have" and won some close games that could've gone the other way. Gone are the days of "gimmies". Until we prove that we can beat northwestern 4-5-6 yrs in a row, or beat Illinois or Perdue we should look at them as a game we need to "show up" and actually win.

What planet are we living on that going into the northwestern or Iowa game is a "win"? We haven't beaten them consistently since we joined! They can beat us easily if we don't play some damn football!

So no, I don't truly see any "gimmies" besides WYO and Fresno. Just my my opinion.

I can see us 2-0, then 2-2, then 3-2, 4-2, 5-2. Then 5-3, 5-4, 6-4, 7-4. End with a loss to Iowa to finish 7-5. This is realistic/worst case scenario.

Having that set in my mind helps. It can only get better. It seems reasonable to believe in an 8-4 number. Anything more at this point in time is just blowing hot smoke up my butt. The team and staff have proved to me that the expectations deserve to be low.

It seems to me that it will be tough to generate some recruiting momentum. A loss to Iowa would just kill our recruiting in this scenario and would probably cause a few recruiting battles to go Iowa's way.

I'm hopeful for a win against Iowa but we will have to win it before it is real in my mind.

I don't see how anyone can think NU can put together a long winning streak of any kind, based on what we have seen from the team the past few years.

Some people will want to show faith with the new staff, but I need to see it happen first.

See Nebraska vs MSU or Nebraska vs UCLA from 2015.
Again, those are examples of one game. I can see Riley and staff picking up a nice win somewhere, and then blowing it against a lesser team a week later. I just don't see the consistency that people expect NU to have.
  • Fire 1

I just smirk when our previous record gets used as proof of how the following season will shake out. Understandably that formula worked under Bo.

When we win 10 games this year it will be a slew of "I may have complained for 9 months and derailed a bunch of threads, but I'm so happy to be proven wrong. Go Big Red!"

It's not a "proof" of next yrs win loss total; it's a call on the attitude, direction, capability, and realistic look of where we have been the last 2-4 yrs.

And that look is that we have lost games we "shouldn't have" and won some close games that could've gone the other way. Gone are the days of "gimmies". Until we prove that we can beat northwestern 4-5-6 yrs in a row, or beat Illinois or Perdue we should look at them as a game we need to "show up" and actually win.

What planet are we living on that going into the northwestern or Iowa game is a "win"? We haven't beaten them consistently since we joined! They can beat us easily if we don't play some damn football!

So no, I don't truly see any "gimmies" besides WYO and Fresno. Just my my opinion.

1- The current staff has only 1 year under their belts, not 2-4. So your sample size is wildly inconsistent.

2- We have never lost to Iowa or Northwestern on the road since joining the Big Ten. Also, both are likely to regress this season due to losses on the roster at key positions and tougher schedules. Both were 10 win teams and we played with/coyld have beaten both with a couple different plays.

I don't see how anyone can think NU can put together a long winning streak of any kind, based on what we have seen from the team the past few years.

Some people will want to show faith with the new staff, but I need to see it happen first.

Again, those are examples of one game. I can see Riley and staff picking up a nice win somewhere, and then blowing it against a lesser team a week later. I just don't see the consistency that people expect NU to have.

No, that's two games down the stretch where we saw the team come together.

Fact is this, we saw what our staff/team can do when they are in sync. Who here REALLY TRULY expects us not to look much more improved on a simple consistency basis? The staff has a better understanding of their team, the team knows what the staff expects of them. Chemistry alone would have given us 3 more wins last year.

Fact is this, we saw what our staff/team can do when they are in sync. Who here REALLY TRULY expects us not to look much more improved on a simple consistency basis? The staff has a better understanding of their team, the team knows what the staff expects of them. Chemistry alone would have given us 3 more wins last year.

I 100% expect it...If this team is not at 10 wins next year it is a failure in my mind and probably most of the NU fans minds...

1. Experienced staff: Check

2. Returning QB: Check

3. Experienced staff that can work with that QB and make him better: Check

4. Schedule where they will be favored in all but 1-2 games: Check

We should all do our own 5 keys...

1 - Have some interest in Nebraska football

2 - Have access to message board or web site related to said football team

3 - Be able to type at least semi-coherent sentenses

4 - ???

5 - Profit

THAT ELIMINATES LIKE 95% OF THE CURRENT MEMBERS

ALSO: I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE

• Fire 2

I 100% expect it...If this team is not at 10 wins next year it is a failure in my mind and probably most of the NU fans minds...

1. Experienced staff: Check

2. Returning QB: Check

3. Experienced staff that can work with that QB and make him better: Check

4. Schedule where they will be favored in all but 1-2 games: Check

This keeps getting thrown around, but is it true?

Oregon, at Wisconsin, at Ohio State, at Iowa....all games id be surprised if we are not underdogs in.

I think all but the OSU game are toss ups depending on how the season progresses. If we win against Oregon and Wisconsin maybe doesn't look like world beaters, I could see a situations where we are favored in that game. Same with the Iowa game. If we get to the Iowa game with one or two losses, I could see us as the favorite in that game.

Since Oregon is so early, I would be somewhat surprised if we are the favorites in that one.