Donald Trump vs. The Pope

Far too many of you are just politically not very well informed about American politics in general and the current political and social environment. Trump is VERY likely going to be the next President. There is a strong probability that Hillary will be in criminal trouble long before the fall. Bernie can't win (and if by some bizarre quirk of fate he should win the Presidency, America is lost forever). Trump will build that wall and Mexico will pay for it. He means what he says and the majority of this country agree with him, particularly on all the illgeal immigration and the need for the wall.

Get yourselves awake to the reality of Amercan society today. You are reading too many liberal publications, etc.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Please don't tell me UNL actually gave you a Law degree. Trump will build a wall and make Mexico pay for it? You surely do not practice, or just specialize in diet pill lawsuits.

For the most part I think The Don is an egotistical buffoon and lacks the diplomacy skills necessary to be an effective political leader. But I do agree with this part of his quote:

For a religious leader to question a person’s faith is disgraceful. I am proud to be a Christian and as President I will not allow Christianity to be consistently attacked and weakened, unlike what is happening now, with our current President. No leader, especially a religious leader, should have the right to question another man’s religion or faith. They are using the Pope as a pawn and they should be ashamed of themselves for doing so, especially when so many lives are involved and when illegal immigration is so rampant.

I would agree that if the Pope questioned his faith or "Christianity" level, then the Pope was out of line. However, if you look at how the issue was presented to the Pope and his complete answer, it is more like his response was based on a hypothetical situation. He stated something to the effect that "if Trump had actually said/done these things......" It was almost as if he was not aware of Trump's position and therefore I think his response could be taken less as a specific attack on Trump's faith and more as a general statement. Not a huge difference but maybe a little better than directly stating Trump is not a good Christian which does not come off well from the leader of the Catholic Church to say about anyone.

Or possibly he meant it directly for Trump......I mean Trump does have a lot of positions that would not align very well with many commonly accepted Christian positions.

As far as the Pope being a pawn for Mexico, nah. He is just a lot more concerned about the downtrodden than Trump is. That's pretty much his job and the job of true Christians. Trump's job at this juncture is to say whatever will get him sound bites on the news and gather more votes from people who are fed up with the status quo but apparently don't apply more brain power than just being angry about something.

Saying the Pope should not question someone's Christianity is like saying the Mods/Admins at HuskerBoard shouldn't question someone's membership. That's exactly their job. The Pope is, according to the Catholic faith, the very pinnacle of what it means to be Christian.

If the Pope can't question someone's Christianity, who can?

And before you say "Nobody can, knapplc," then tell me - are KKK members Christian? Was Timothy McVeigh Christian? Is Dylann Roof Christian? Am I a Christian?

Let's not delve too far into the absurd. The Pope knows what it means to be Christian. He can tell a rope from a rat.

Saying the Pope should not question someone's Christianity is like saying the Mods/Admins at HuskerBoard shouldn't question someone's membership. That's exactly their job. The Pope is, according to the Catholic faith, the very pinnacle of what it means to be Christian.

And before you say "Nobody can, knapplc," then tell me - are KKK members Christian? Was Timothy McVeigh Christian? Is Dylann Roof Christian? Am I a Christian?

Let's not delve too far into the absurd. The Pope knows what it means to be Christian. He can tell a rope from a rat.

As a non-Catholic I disagree with this. The Pope is human. He isn't all knowing and it's not up to him to judge whether someone's Christian or not. Catholicism has a very different idea of what it means to be Christian than lots of other denominations. IMO, as a non-catholic who views him as just another human, he doesn't know what it is to be Christian anymore than other Catholics, either.

Now if he had something about Christian values, then that's different.

I didn't say he "can't" question someone's Christianity or that he is unqualified to do so. But, it just isn't a good look in some circumstances. As the head of the church, he should be (and I believe he is) concerned about bringing people to God and God to the people, not condemning sinners and those who may deserve some harsh words but rather showing them grace and forgiveness. I think he does a pretty good job of that. I converted to Catholicism from Lutheran about 20 years ago. I don't happen to believe that the Pope is any more "Christian" or "special" than any other human being. But, generally speaking, they do have a much better idea what it means to be Christian than the average Joe. They've lived it intimately virtually their whole life. They aren't recruiting Popes from the twice a year club.

These are valid points. I concede the Catholic thing, and the "bad look" thing.

But let's be real. Donald Trump is acting tremendously un-Christian. In this case, is it really a bad look? Is the Pope really not enough of an authority to say he's being un-Christian?

If so, why?

I'll say it. I had 40 years of Church teaching, over a decade of Church/Christian leadership. Donald Trump is being un-Christian. Theologically, I know that analysis is sound. I stand by it. Am I going to take less heat than the Pope because I'm Joe Schmoe Nobody and he's the publicest of figures?

<shrug>

I don't see the issue. The Pope is right (and I'm not even Catholic).

I've stood within a few feet of The Donald. Arm's reach. Close enough to see how truly ridiculous his hair is, live and in person. Maybe that makes me qualified. :D

• Fire 1

These are valid points. I concede the Catholic thing, and the "bad look" thing.

But let's be real. Donald Trump is acting tremendously un-Christian. In this case, is it really a bad look? Is the Pope really not enough of an authority to say he's being un-Christian?

If so, why?

I'll say it. I had 40 years of Church teaching, over a decade of Church/Christian leadership. Donald Trump is being un-Christian. Theologically, I know that analysis is sound. I stand by it. Am I going to take less heat than the Pope because I'm Joe Schmoe Nobody and he's the publicest of figures?

<shrug>

I don't see the issue. The Pope is right (and I'm not even Catholic).

I've stood within a few feet of The Donald. Arm's reach. Close enough to see how truly ridiculous his hair is, live and in person. Maybe that makes me qualified. :D

Absolutely agree that Trump is being un-Christian and that the Pope is right. But, I guess I would like it to come out from the Pope in a little less harsh manner than the way that quote presented it. I mean Trump is right about some of the stuff he says also but the delivery sure could use some adjustment. Sometimes there's more to it than simply speaking the truth.

I think that quote by itself has way greater impact than what was intended. The Pope didn't bring it up, it was asked of him as part of a series of broad-ranging questions. It makes a great pull-quote, but it's not like Pope Francis went up to a podium and said The Donald is not Christian.

Yeah he was just speaking off the cuff when asked a question, and he did so honestly. In that situation, it might be more helpful to make sure you present your words in a certain way for maximum impact of good communication, but it's no more right or wrong; it's just beneficial methodology.

The Pope is right and we all know that. There's no sense in beating around the bush with it in order to not offend some stupid sensibilities.

• Fire 1

Far too many of you are just politically not very well informed about American politics in general and the current political and social environment. Trump is VERY likely going to be the next President. There is a strong probability that Hillary will be in criminal trouble long before the fall. Bernie can't win (and if by some bizarre quirk of fate he should win the Presidency, America is lost forever). Trump will build that wall and Mexico will pay for it. He means what he says and the majority of this country agree with him, particularly on all the illgeal immigration and the need for the wall.

Get yourselves awake to the reality of Amercan society today. You are reading too many liberal publications, etc.

Not with a net favorability rating of -25, which is the lowest of all the candidates. Link

For the most part I think The Don is an egotistical buffoon and lacks the diplomacy skills necessary to be an effective political leader. But I do agree with this part of his quote:

For a religious leader to question a person’s faith is disgraceful. I am proud to be a Christian and as President I will not allow Christianity to be consistently attacked and weakened, unlike what is happening now, with our current President. No leader, especially a religious leader, should have the right to question another man’s religion or faith. They are using the Pope as a pawn and they should be ashamed of themselves for doing so, especially when so many lives are involved and when illegal immigration is so rampant.

How is Christianity being consistently attacked and weakened? Is that Obama's doing?

Who is "They" that is using the Pope as a pawn? Is "They" Obama who Trump has repeatedly implied is Muslim?

Obama, who may or not be a Muslim, is controlling the Pope as his pawn while consistently attacking and weakening Christianity at the same time? Do I have that right?

• Fire 1