"Us Against The World"

Mavric

Help jog my memory, but wasn't there a player on the team flipping off and lashing out at fans? Clearly, there is zero disconnect between fans and players.

And clearly if one person does it that has to mean the other 120+ feel the same way.

What? That's literally your logic in this topic. One player said it wasn't a big deal and was blown out of proportion, therefore that's what every other player thinks. lol?

Well, off the top of my head MRI, Tommy Armstrong, and Mike Riley himself have said it was overblown. An offensive leader, defensive leader, and the new head coach.

So there's that.

I don't disagree that overall it's overblown, but I also believe the previous coach's sentiment regarding fans rubbed off on some players.

The fact of the matter isn't about it being overblown, it's that some players did foster that mentality - and one was a captain.

So there's that.

you mean he comment he made about just the fair-weather fans that boo the team and leave early?

Yeah, those fans suck.

So there's that.

Help jog my memory, but wasn't there a player on the team flipping off and lashing out at fans? Clearly, there is zero disconnect between fans and players.

And clearly if one person does it that has to mean the other 120+ feel the same way.

What? That's literally your logic in this topic. One player said it wasn't a big deal and was blown out of proportion, therefore that's what every other player thinks. lol?

Well, off the top of my head MRI, Tommy Armstrong, and Mike Riley himself have said it was overblown. An offensive leader, defensive leader, and the new head coach.

So there's that.

I don't disagree that overall it's overblown, but I also believe the previous coach's sentiment regarding fans rubbed off on some players.

The fact of the matter isn't about it being overblown, it's that some players did foster that mentality - and one was a captain.

So there's that.

you mean he comment he made about just the fair-weather fans that boo the team and leave early?

Yeah, those fans suck.

So there's that.

Ya. 'Cause I'm sure that's the only thing Bo ever said. Lolol.

So there's that.

So there's that.

Yeah, those fans suck.

So there's that.

Maybe not, but that one soundbyte is usually what some people solely base their opinion on.

Is there other "proof" of Bo saying he hates all Nebraska fans?

Let's vilify some and redirect blame for faults of others based on assumptions and hyperbole. lolol

• Fire 1

So there's that.

So there's that.

I'm pretty sure AL had issues with interacting with others before he was coached by Bo.

So there's that.

So there's that.

So there's that.

Yeah, those fans suck.

So there's that.

Maybe not, but that one soundbyte is usually what some people solely base their opinion on.

Let's vilify some and redirect blame for faults of others based on assumptions and hyperbole. lolol

You guys can quibble all you want about Bo creating or not creating a toxic atmosphere surrounding the team. Personally I don't give much credence to guys now saying it wasn't that bad. You know how bad it was? Bad enough that a perennial 9 win coach got fired for it. Guessing that's a pretty good indicator that things weren't all sunshine and roses.

How bad was it in 1978 when another perennial 9 win coach was almost fired? I guess that's a pretty good indicator that some people's definition/expectation/tolerance for sunshine and roses can be skewed.

Or you could say the difference between Pelini and Osborne was not getting fired.

In truth, Osborne was not almost fired in 1978, but considered the Colorado job because he didn't think he was being appreciated enough at Nebraska.

It remains unknown whether Tom ever called Bob Devaney a kunt.

So there's that.

Eh, if you put Tape 1 and Tape 2 together, you get a pretty good idea why he didn't get along with his boss, or anyone else in charge of the University of Nebraska's reputation.

The context of both tapes was how Bo really felt. In the Ohio State tape, 95% of Nebraska fans were cheering their asses off for the biggest comeback in Husker history. A handful had booed a lifeless first half on the heels of the previous week's "wake up call" blowout loss. How Bo chose to view that "glass 95% full or 5% empty" scenario was telling. His press conference was childish.

Then he backed up his "I'm so outta here!" outburst by letting it be known he was available for any desirable head coaching position from 2011 on.

In his final address to his players, he literally blamed fan expectation for their poor performance against Wisconsin.

I think we can move on without the revisionist history.

Best post in this thread!

• Fire 1

So there's that.

So there's that.

Yeah, those fans suck.

So there's that.

You guys can quibble all you want about Bo creating or not creating a toxic atmosphere surrounding the team. Personally I don't give much credence to guys now saying it wasn't that bad. You know how bad it was? Bad enough that a perennial 9 win coach got fired for it. Guessing that's a pretty good indicator that things weren't all sunshine and roses.

How bad was it in 1978 when another perennial 9 win coach was almost fired? I guess that's a pretty good indicator that some people's definition/expectation/tolerance for sunshine and roses can be skewed.

Or you could say the difference between Pelini and Osborne was not getting fired.

In truth, Osborne was not almost fired in 1978, but considered the Colorado job because he didn't think he was being appreciated enough at Nebraska.

So there's that.

"In truth"?

Nice to see someone being truthful, instead of making statements based on assumptions and hyperbole.

In truth, Osborne himself said a regent pulled him aside after the Bluebonnet bowl and told him if he hadn't won he would have been fired. Is Osborne lying?

In truth, there is a big difference between AD Devaney's regard for Osborne than there was AD Eichorst's regard for Pelini. Perhaps Devaney and Osborne had a pre-existing relationship prior to their AD/HC occupational situation?

It remains unknown if Osborne would not have called Devaney a kunt after Devaney had fired Osborne.

It also remains unknown to some if apples are equal to oranges.

So there's that.

If you guys don't think Bo's attitude towards the media, fans or even his bosses didn't trickle down through the team you're missing something. Teams will reflect the personality of their coach aka "Meltdowns"

Well...maybe. I mean, TO was super quiet, calm and reserved on the sidelines but a lot of his best teams were not even close to a reflection of him.

If you guys don't think Bo's attitude towards the media, fans or even his bosses didn't trickle down through the team you're missing something. Teams will reflect the personality of their coach aka "Meltdowns"

Well...maybe. I mean, TO was super quiet, calm and reserved on the sidelines but a lot of his best teams were not even close to a reflection of him.

You mean like in the 94 OB when a Miami player hit Christian Peter after the whistle and he didn't fight back?

• Fire 1

You mean like in the 94 OB when a Miami player hit Christian Peter after the whistle and he didn't fight back?

In that instance he did the right thing...no doubt about it.

So there's that.

So there's that.

Yeah, those fans suck.

So there's that.

So there's that.

"In truth"?

Nice to see someone being truthful, instead of making statements based on assumptions and hyperbole.

In truth, Osborne himself said a regent pulled him aside after the Bluebonnet bowl and told him if he hadn't won he would have been fired. Is Osborne lying?

In truth, there is a big difference between AD Devaney's regard for Osborne than there was AD Eichorst's regard for Pelini. Perhaps Devaney and Osborne had a pre-existing relationship prior to their AD/HC occupational situation?

It remains unknown if Osborne would not have called Devaney a kunt after Devaney had fired Osborne.

So there's that.

You do know Osborne was on Devaneys staff right?

And perhaps ADSE had a reason to hold Pelini in such regard. I think this whole thing should be over and move on. I really think that Pelinis personality and they way he did things did rub off on players but I also think that these young men are growing and learning new things. They are smart kids and I think this is one of those things fans need to get through the offseason, and I suppose for some to try to draw lines

So there's that.

So there's that.

Yeah, those fans suck.

So there's that.

So there's that.

"In truth"?

So there's that.

Tom Osborne was a better coach than Bo Pelini and handled his responsibilities as a representative of the University and state much better.

That might be the notable difference you're looking for. Not apples to oranges, but bad apples to good apples.

If you were trying to point out that fans also got impatient with Tom Osborne's string of oddly unsatisfying 9 win seasons, you'll get no argument from me.

Hearing from a regent after the Bluebonnet Bowl victory about his job status and considering the Colorado job were two different seasons.

http://journalstar.com/sports/columnists/sipple/steven-m-sipple-nu-s-patience-with-devaney-osborne-paid/article_bbb5d74f-36a1-5404-8e26-7becd181ee5f.html

So there's that.

So there's that.

I'm pretty sure AL had issues with interacting with others before he was coached by Bo.

So there's that.

Hey man, you can believe what you please. I believe a tweet which is clearly directed at fans, calling them fair weather, is pretty well aligned with Pelini's opinion when heat was put on him. If you want to call that hyperbole because I believe his attitude rubbed off on players, then that's your opinion.

Never once vilified Pelini, just opined Pelini did rub off and there is more to the "Us against the world" mentality than MRI and Riley will admit to.