Spring Position Battles - Quarterback

Mavric

Part of me feels like that if POB doesn't play this year, he could miss his chance at starting. If he red shirts this year and loses the battle next year to Lee the best he can hope for is being back up.

Then, in 2018, he could again be backup to Lee if he's granted another year of eligibility. If Lee is done, by that time maybe Gebbia breaks out and takes the job forcing POB to backup duty again.

That's why I think burning the redshirt to groom him a bit in a real game atmosphere would do wonders. I think the reason he looked so bad in the spring game was due to atmosphere jitters. With the influx of recruiting the QB position it wouldn't hurt long term.

That's the beauty of having quality talent on the roster. I hope POB is the next coming and leads us to glory; however, I also hope that's the case for Gebbia and/or Lee, or even Mr. Bush. In a perfect world, we recruit a QB at the level of POB and Gebbia every year and the best man wins, period.

Yup. Although at the same time somehow keep all of them from transferring the second they don't get the starting job.

Probably my biggest concern about POB

Transfers happen and will always happen. The best way to prevent being up transfer creek without a paddle is continuing to recruit solid classes, year in and year out. It's too early to tell if Riley will be able to do that, but at QB, we are off to a good start.

As for 2016, I just don't think there is an serviceable plan that gets POB meaningful reps without causing serious friction with Tommy and the other seniors/team. If roles were flipped, you could design wildcat-esque packages for a mobile QB, but we are the polar opposite of that currently. The arrangement would be awkward from the start and reek of nepotism.

Part of me feels like that if POB doesn't play this year, he could miss his chance at starting. If he red shirts this year and loses the battle next year to Lee the best he can hope for is being back up.

Then, in 2018, he could again be backup to Lee if he's granted another year of eligibility. If Lee is done, by that time maybe Gebbia breaks out and takes the job forcing POB to backup duty again.

That's why I think burning the redshirt to groom him a bit in a real game atmosphere would do wonders. I think the reason he looked so bad in the spring game was due to atmosphere jitters. With the influx of recruiting the QB position it wouldn't hurt long term.

That's the beauty of having quality talent on the roster. I hope POB is the next coming and leads us to glory; however, I also hope that's the case for Gebbia and/or Lee, or even Mr. Bush. In a perfect world, we recruit a QB at the level of POB and Gebbia every year and the best man wins, period.

Yup. Although at the same time somehow keep all of them from transferring the second they don't get the starting job.

Transfers happen and will always happen. The best way to prevent being up transfer creek without a paddle is continuing to recruit solid classes, year in and year out. It's too early to tell if Riley will be able to do that, but at QB, we are off to a good start.

As for 2016, I just don't think there is an serviceable plan that gets POB meaningful reps without causing serious friction with Tommy and the other seniors/team. If roles were flipped, you could design wildcat-esque packages for a mobile QB, but we are the polar opposite of that currently. The arrangement would be awkward from the start and reek of nepotism.

The way I look at this situation, winning in 2016 is definitely priority #1, but there also needs to be some thought about succession planning. I know I have to do it as a leader at my company, and most other leaders do it as well. Unless I am missing something, when the first game comes around in 2017, the options at QB will be POB, Lee, Gebbia, and Bush, which according to what we are hearing from Riley and Langsdorf, none will have any real game experience. I know it happens, but I would prefer to have at least one QB with some real-life game reps looking out a year.

I think a lot of people think that POB is a better passer than Tommy but unfortunately it's not true. As much as you want it at this moment Tommy is a much better not just runner but passer of the the ball than POB. Granted POB may and hopefully will be better than Tommy in the future years.

If POB never ends up starting, it will be because he wasn't good enough. Whether or not he redshirts doesn't really have anything to do with it.

A worse scenario, in my opinion, is burning his redshirt to get him garbage time this year, then next year as a sophomore, when he hasn't really grown into his potential, he gets beat out by Lee. All of the sudden you have a junior POB with just as talented guys behind him having to fight for even a chance.

If POB never ends up starting, it will be because he wasn't good enough. Whether or not he redshirts doesn't really have anything to do with it.

A worse scenario, in my opinion, is burning his redshirt to get him garbage time this year, then next year as a sophomore, when he hasn't really grown into his potential, he gets beat out by Lee. All of the sudden you have a junior POB with just as talented guys behind him having to fight for even a chance.

See, I agree with that too though. This is a goodish problem to have in the grand scheme of things.

agree with the team aspect.

Also if we used a game plan of keeping the ball on the ground and running clock and then got up by 14/21 points it wouldn't make a lot of sense to go the pass direction with the chance of stopping the clock.

I think a lot of people think that POB is a better passer than Tommy but unfortunately it's not true. As much as you want it at this moment Tommy is a much better not just runner but passer of the the ball than POB. Granted POB may and hopefully will be better than Tommy in the future years.

how did you come to this conclusion about passing?

I just think that POB will be higher up the depth chart by Fall. When is the cutoff to redshirt him?

Again, if Fyfe is better then fine let him be the back up. But seeing as that's his ceiling and this is his last year I wouldn't hate the thought of having POB competing for the starting job next year with actual game experience. Between Lee, Gebbia and POB it could be the biggest difference maker in who wins the job.

If he plays a snap this year he burns the redshirt, that one snap can be in the first game or the 13th/14th.

Yeah I understad that, I'm wondering if there is a timeframe you have to decide he is redshirting, I assume there is not since you can pull it at any time.

There's no "timeframe" or application for redshirting. If a kid plays during a season, he can't redshirt that year. If he doesn't play the entire season and he hasn't already used a redshirt year, then he can.

I just think that POB will be higher up the depth chart by Fall. When is the cutoff to redshirt him?

Again, if Fyfe is better then fine let him be the back up. But seeing as that's his ceiling and this is his last year I wouldn't hate the thought of having POB competing for the starting job next year with actual game experience. Between Lee, Gebbia and POB it could be the biggest difference maker in who wins the job.

If he plays a snap this year he burns the redshirt, that one snap can be in the first game or the 13th/14th.

Yeah I understad that, I'm wondering if there is a timeframe you have to decide he is redshirting, I assume there is not since you can pull it at any time.

There's no "timeframe" or application for redshirting. If a kid plays during a season, he can't redshirt that year. If he doesn't play the entire season and he hasn't already used a redshirt year, then he can.

That's kinda what I thought, just wasn't sure if it was as simple as: if he doesn't take a snap he can redshirt. Thought maybe had to declare it etc.

how did you come to this conclusion about passing?

good gosh, what's your source for this statement??

The last meeting of the week, Riley says, belongs to freshman quarterback Patrick O’Brien, whom Riley would like to see redshirt this year, despite having a strong spring.

OWH

I kind of hate that idea with a passion. If this happens AJ Bush better be ready to go.

What do you mean? The idea of him redshirting? Why do you hate that idea with a passion?

Because that cements Fyfe as #2 and that makes me more than a tad nervous.

Well, if POB isn't ready to go then he isn't ready to go. I think we all need to be open and accepting of this.

However, I will say that this doesn't mean POB never plays. We've seen it happen in the past where starters get injured and a player has their redshirt pulled. I don't want to see TA go down, but if he does, and it is a serious injury, there's a chance POB could end up getting the nod depending on his development and the point in the season.

Obviously if POB isn't ready to go, he shouldn't play. But what good does it do to have Fyfe come in for mop up duty, I would rather be grooming POB and get him some valuable playing time should TA go down.

Because Fyfe is our number 2 and has earned any playing time not given to TA

AJ Bush might have something to say about the future of the QB spot. He will have the most experience in Riley and Langs system once TA and Ryker graduate. Don't understand why we cant root for him to have the lights come on for him and success to follow. I think he could be a dynamic player. So until he is asked to switch positions or he switches colleges, I'm gonna take that as the staff thinks he could be a future starting QB for this team.

The way I look at this situation, winning in 2016 is definitely priority #1, but there also needs to be some thought about succession planning. I know I have to do it as a leader at my company, and most other leaders do it as well. Unless I am missing something, when the first game comes around in 2017, the options at QB will be POB, Lee, Gebbia, and Bush, which according to what we are hearing from Riley and Langsdorf, none will have any real game experience. I know it happens, but I would prefer to have at least one QB with some real-life game reps looking out a year.

Except Lee will have game experience. He has 19 starts under his belt. That's why I don't feel there is an incessant need to get someone like POB live game reps yet.

AJ Bush might have something to say about the future of the QB spot. He will have the most experience in Riley and Langs system once TA and Ryker graduate. Don't understand why we cant root for him to have the lights come on for him and success to follow. I think he could be a dynamic player. So until he is asked to switch positions or he switches colleges, I'm gonna take that as the staff thinks he could be a future starting QB for this team.

I think that really all hinges on how well Bush executes the passing game. He's not the prototypical guys Riley/Langs want. I don't know if that will hurt his chances, but I do think the coaches want a better passer out there.

I'm not rooting for any one player. I think Lee has the best chance to start based on his experience and skill set, but we'll have to see how that translates to this program.

tumblr_nk6lp22lJU1re3x32o1_500.gif

• Fire 1